Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berbatov

Options
  • 13-07-2008 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Looks now like there is a very strong chance that berbatov is heading Man U according to reports this morning. Berbatov has got on my nerves a bit in the last 6-12 months due to the fact that I don't think he really wanted to play for spurs. That aside its not nice when you lose such a quality player and arguably the best player in our team.

Without jumping the gun, because he is still of course still a spurs player, any thoughts on who should come in as a replacement? Personally I think Santa Cruz would be a good signing if the berba deal goes through.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

looks like he's going alright. Hopefully SPurs accept no less than £24 million for him. We really need to hold onto Keane now, otherwise it'll be another season of transition. Santa Cruz would be a decent replacement, I agree. Can't think of anyone else at the moment.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

We need to play hard ball here, anything less than £30m and we should tell them to fcuk off. He has 2 years left plus we have an option of 2 more years after that to exercise.

We will see asking prices for replacements inflated because clubs will know we have cash in the bank, we may as well do the same with United seeing as they'll likely get in excess of £60m for Ronaldo if he escapes his life of slavery at OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

I cant bear the thought of selling him to united,he should only be sold abroad.If he goes to united then what is the point in spurs saying they want to challenge the top four if were selling our world class players to the top four.Im very downbeat at the moment to be honest with all this talk of keane aswell,typical spurs just when we thought we were building a great side we lose our most majestic player(reminds me of losing carrick after missing out on CL).As for Garcia from espanyol no thank you.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

We need to play hard ball here, anything less than £30m and we should tell them to fcuk off. He has 2 years left plus we have an option of 2 more years after that to exercise.

We will see asking prices for replacements inflated because clubs will know we have cash in the bank, we may as well do the same with United seeing as they'll likely get in excess of £60m for Ronaldo if he escapes his life of slavery at OT.

Agree we should play hardball but id doubt we will get 30 million pounds for him. We might have a chance of getting that from Madrid but not from Sir Alex, id say we will get 24 or 25. Either way, we wont sign a replacement as good as berba. Very dissapointing, we weaken and a top 4 team strengthen, a sign of the times i think.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Agree we should play hardball but id doubt we will get 30 million pounds for him. We might have a chance of getting that from Madrid but not from Sir Alex, id say we will get 24 or 25. Either way, we wont sign a replacement as good as berba. Very dissapointing, we weaken and a top 4 team strengthen, a sign of the times i think.

Then the answer needs to be no, and if the miserable cnut doesn't like tough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Hatch99 wrote: »

agreed a sign of the times indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Berbatov leaving Spurs is not worth torturing yourself over.

As I see it, It's has been as plain as day since as far back as last September that he would be on his bike this summer.

I think Berbatov deserves to play in the Champion's League and I can understand his desire to leave. He (like all other modern footballers) is a career professional.

So there are no hard feelings on my part, we've had him for 2 good seasons and I wish him well (apart from when he plays against us)

I don't think Levy will punish him and leave him in the reserves for 2 years untill he walks away for nothing in 2010. I imagine a fee of around 25mil will be finalised with Man Utd soon.

I suppose I'd like to see us play hard ball, but I don't think Levy will cut off his nose to spite his face. 25mil is a nice return on the original 10.9mil investment (I have no doubt that that's what he will be thinking).

We need to move on with players that are committed to Spurs and get rid of the bad apples.

COYS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

Berbatov leaving Spurs is not worth torturing yourself over.

I don't think Levy will punish him and leave him in the reserves for 2 years untill he walks away for nothing in 2010. I imagine a fee of around 25mil will be finalised with Man Utd soon.

I suppose I'd like to see us play hard ball, but I don't think Levy will cut off his nose to spite his face. 25mil is a nice return on the original 10.9mil investment (I have no doubt that that's what he will be thinking).

We need to move on with players that are committed to Spurs and get rid of the bad apples.

COYS

Looks like 28 mil has been agreed according to numerous reports.

I agree, good return, let him off to play CL this year if that is what he wants!

I think Santa cruz would be a good buy for us as Ramos will play with one up front - sadly, I don't see Keane in that roll:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Providing the fee is at least €25m, then sell him.

We don't want another half-a-season of Berbs sulking, like last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

RichMc70 wrote: »
    Providing the fee is at least €25m, then sell him.

We don't want another half-a-season of Berbs sulking, like last year.

He wasn't much different to the rest so them so. They all gave up after 24th Feb.

Still I wish him all the best. Twas good while it lasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

he will be a huge loss alrite,as said this has been on the cards for a long time,i dont think or at least i hope levy wont be petty about him wanting to go it should be purely business.25 million not a bad return though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

tbh i'm shocked, if as reported, Spurs are getting 18m plus add ons over the years for an established top striker in the PL who is 28 years old and Spurs dont want to sell, you are being royally ****ed by Utd in my opinion and sends out the totally wrong message to clubs who wanna buy your players.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    tbh i'm shocked, if as reported, Spurs are getting 18m plus add ons over the years for an established top striker in the PL who is 28 years old and Spurs dont want to sell, you are being royally ****ed by Utd in my opinion and sends out the totally wrong message to clubs who wanna buy your players.

I agree.

£18m up front with a possible £10m in add-ons is not enough.

ManYoo will not sell Ronaldo to Madrid if they came in with a take it or leave it offer well below their valuation, doesn't he want out as well?

He wants out, I've no problem with him being sold if that's the case, but we have rolled over on the price tag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 seanson

I agree.

£18m up front with a possible £10m in add-ons is not enough.

ManYoo will not sell Ronaldo to Madrid if they came in with a take it or leave it offer well below their valuation, doesn't he want out as well?

He wants out, I've no problem with him being sold if that's the case, but we have rolled over on the price tag.
    £18 million plus £10 million if he lives up to his billing? £28 million sounds very good to me for a player of his age. Good business for a player that obviously wants to leave. Plus he helps to keep ar5ena1 out of the top 2.

I would be a lot more worried about losing Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

€30 million upfront should be the offer. He has 2 years on his contract and we're not too worried about our cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

I have been watching the Fix Soccer Channel and they show old Premier league games. On Monday and Tuesday they showed Spurs matches from last season. Watching them with complete emotional detachment and analysing them almost as a neutral it was scary just how much Berbs was on a completely different level to the rest of the team. As much as it highlighted how utterly ordinary and unworthy of top 4 the likes of Dawson, Kaboul, Malbranque, Lennon, Jenas, Lee, and Robbo were it also highlighted just how much we needed the magic of Berbs.

Truly one of the best players in the world, he will be among our biggest ever losses as a player and it's such a shame given what he are trying to achieve if he goes. Mind you Roman Pavlyuchenko would be a hell of a replacement, fantastic striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 seanson

A great player but if he's not committed to Spurs we can't afford a player to not be fully commited until he has the January shop window coming around. If he want's to go, then we have to sell to the top bidder, unless of course it's ar5ena1, if he wanted to go there then he can sit on his arse for two years.

seanson wrote: »
    A great player but if he's not committed to Spurs we can't afford a player to not be fully commited until he has the January shop window coming around. If he want's to go, then we have to sell to the top bidder, unless of course it's ar5ena1, if he wanted to go there then he can sit on his arse for two years.

Balls to that, f*ck Utd too. We can keep him for 2 years, if they want him then it's our terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I say if he wants to go get our 30m for him and move on. i know he is a different class but if keep him here against his will he's going to be more of a moper then he was last season.

When he wasn't outstanding last season he was nothing short of ****e, personally i'd be more worried about loosing keaneo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

Kold wrote: »
    Balls to that, f*ck Utd too. We can keep him for 2 years, if they want him then it's our terms.

But you would be treating him like a slave :p

• Advertisement

John W wrote: »
    But you would be treating him like a slave :p

Hah, I'd love for Rev Jesse Jackson to call Blatter on that one..

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matrixroyal

As much as I am a great fan of his ( and Keane too ), I think if a player wants to go, the club should cut their losses and let them go.

If Keane's move doesn't work out, I still think he would stay and give 100%. But Berbatov will probably just sulk, play rubbish and then leave for half nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

im desperately hoping barca come in with an actual bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

At this stage I just whish he'd hurry up and go/be sold.
    I hate long drawn out transfer sagas. Soooooo boring.
    Only want players at Spurs who want to be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 browbrow

Looks like Ramos/the board are inviting offers for the two lads..
    Have to say at this stage let Berbs go off and play CL football, but echoing the sentiments on here, please dont sell him to one of the Premier League top 4.
    We've already enough ground to make up on them.

Fergie has admitted that have a bid in for a player (guessing its berbs) so maybe this was put out to perk up Barca!

Juande Ramos has refused to rule out the sale of either Dimitar Berbatov or Robbie Keane, but believes that Tottenham will still be capable of challenging for the top four.

The Spanish coach is currently putting his players through their paces at a pre-season training camp in Oliva, just south of Valencia.

Berbatov has been strongly linked with a move to Manchester United, with Barcelona also showing an interest, while Rafa Benitez has confirmed Liverpool's admiration for Keane.

Important players
    Ramos told AS: "We will see what happens there, but we are talking about two very important players. For the moment they are with us, but whatever happens the idea is to have a great squad, with the potential to allow us to aim to improve on what we managed last season.

"We have to be realistic and see what we are starting with and who we are competing against. There are some big clubs who have spent a lot of money over many years and have a certain advantage, in fact they claim they want to sign some of our players.

"At Tottenham, we have had a clear philosophy regarding buying and selling for years. The idea is signing young players, promising and talented ones, and if important offers for older players are made, studying it to see what is the best for the club."

Tottenham's philosophy of signing young talent appear to be working this summer after the signings of Luka Modric and Giovani Dos Santos.

"We signed this player [Modric] before Euros because we knew his price could rise, and we expect a lot from him," Ramos added.

"Our idea was the same when we signed Giovani. It's an attractive addition to the squad, done in a logical way, and with which we are hopeful we will compete against the best teams."

Rumours
    Ramos is accustomed to the media speculation surrounding which players he will sign and appears almost amused by the amount of stories.

"There are many rumours, but the majority are not true. We have a clear idea who we want and what other people say is not our problem. Since I came here we have been linked with 40 players and none have come," he added.

The Spaniard outlined his ambitions for the North London club and knows that breaking into the top four will be a tough task but it is one that he thinks is achievable.

"It is clear that there is a top four that include Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal and they are the ones that in recent seasons have taken the Champions League places and it is difficult to get into there," he continued.

"Our aim is to put an end to that top four in the Premier League and to push ourselves into those places, but we know it will be very difficult and there are other teams going for the same thing."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Dont like the way ramus is talking there, how can you sell your two best strikers and say you can still improve. there's no guarentee that the strikers that you buy in will hit it off on the field like keano and berbs. we can forget about ever winning the premier at this rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

tippspur wrote: »
    Dont like the way ramus is talking there, how can you sell your two best strikers and say you can still improve. there's no guarentee that the strikers that you buy in will hit it off on the field like keano and berbs. we can forget about ever winning the premier at this rate.

tippster, gotta be realistic

Best direction for Spurs is buying/producing talented young players and selling (if unavoidable) for hefty prices down the line

You can't fault Ramos' signings so far I think...Dos Santos looks fcuking outstanding:

Advertisement