Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You could use that thing as a dumbbell!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,175 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ED E wrote: »
    You could use that thing as a dumbbell!

yup its huge. Biggest card I ever had

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Last upgrade to MSI 1080Ti

Pointless, but hobby is a hobby I guess

417199.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Sold the 980ti's and got an EVGA 1080ti SC black, love the fact the fans don't even spin up for normal desktop use, even at 50% load it is barely noticeable; much better than the ACX 2.0 cooler.

Next planned upgrade is a mATX build in a Bullet BH4 case. I don't need the space of the FT02 with one GPU-as good an excuse as any :o

H2x8W0Eh.jpg?2

beusIpdh.jpg?1

nthUygvh.jpg?1

8rHtH4dh.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That

Is

Gorgeous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

ED E wrote: »
    That

Is

Gorgeous.

QFT.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Man that's so neat and tidy. That's the ASUS widescreen? How do you find it?

Blazer wrote: »
    Man that's so neat and tidy. That's the ASUS widescreen? How do you find it?

Cheers, yea the PG348 and its excellent. There is a bit of back light bleed on dark screens but not really noticeable-got a good panel in that regard.

I was a bit skeptical going from 3 x 27" 120hz to a singe monitor, but its great, glad to be rid of the bezels. I picked up a humanscale M8 stand and the plan is to fit it to the new desk, when I get around to making it..

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

glynf wrote: »

Lovely build very tidy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

glynf, that is an idol of beauty! If you were inclined to give it a name, I would call it 'Prometheus' :)

• Advertisement

glynf, that is an idol of beauty! If you were inclined to give it a name, I would call it 'Prometheus' :)

Heh, something like 'the 'ol wallet rinser' might be more appropriate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

I really wish i had a white desk. I spend more time dusting my IKEA Brown/Black desk than i spend on the PC. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Headshot wrote: »
    Gigabyte AORUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition

Some beast of a card

Is it me or is that card sagging like a mofo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Korvanica wrote: »
    Is it me or is that card sagging like a mofo ?

I think it's just the perspective. It has a metal backplate, and doesn't look bent in the second picture :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Bought materials for doing some modifications to my Corsair Air540 case and some components back when I built the PC last Summer. However when my Rift and GTX1080 arrived I couldn't resist putting the PC together before I'd done the mods and thereafter could not motivate myself to take it all apart again to do the mods.

My procrastination was broken last week when I bought a Startech 4x controller USB3.0 PCIe card so I could expand to a 4 camera Oculus Rift setup. The USB ports are horizontal on the card and were wider than the PCIe slot opening!! ie. I couldn't insert USB cables. A few minutes with a dremel would easily sort it out but I wasn't risking my motherboard with metal shavings and risking a short. Nothing for it but to remove the motherboard. I then remembered I had a few mods waiting for the last year to be done that also required a PC strip down. So finally after a year the procrastination cycle was broken and they're now done finally.

I dremeled the PCIe slot opening obviously. I cut out the HDD rails on the 'bottom' of the case so that I could directly mount to the chassis the two fans I had ghetto-mod cable-tied to the HDD rails up till now. I also dremeled off excess fan hole tabs on the 'Top' off the case. I have a 280mm Corsair H110GT up there with 140mm fans. The excess tabs are for 120mm fans. Not normally an issue but I use Thermaltake Riing fans and the tabs where blocking part of the LED rings. Aesthetically this just wouldn't do!!

Once all the dremeling was done I painted the interior of the chassis with White Plastidip rubberised paint. I also painted the CPU Pump housing of the Corsair AIO and the Shroud of my Palit Super Jetstream GTX1080.

While I was at it I delidded my 6700K and replaced the Intel TIM under the IHS with CLU (Coolaboratory Liquid Ultra Liquid Metal TIM). I also replaced the TIM on my GPU die with CLU as well.

I re-arranged my Intake and Exhaust fan arrangement. Fans aimed at GPU remained as Intake but I switched my H110GT CPU cooler fans to intake as well so they would no longer be recycling GPU exhaust. Left the rear fan as exhaust. Started to worry about the case being massively positive pressure with 7 intakes and 1 exhaust until I had my Homer Simpson DOH!! moment and realised theres nothing in the rulebook that says the front fans have to be intake. Its just a convention. So I switched the front 3 120mm fans to exhaust. Plenty of exhaust now to blow all that GPU and CPU exhaust out of the case. I had already broken with convention anyway, as I use this case on its side!! :D

I blew all my warranties Sky High though!! :D

The pics:

AfL4cnU.jpg

2Fr4Nhl.jpg

mTGvEIf.jpg

Y9nhq0P.jpg

3AZgeEZ.jpg

Rd4RvXj.jpg

inQeyRF.jpg

jeW0SSU.jpg

Heres a before picture when the case and components were still black. Ignore the fan config in that photo though. I've posted a photo of the new fan config below it:

o9yGgQW.jpg

l5ahkhP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Savage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Is it worth it doing braided cabling?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Is it worth it doing braided cabling?

Looked at a few DIY braiding guides and it looked a bit too much like hardwork to me. I ordered premade braided cable extensions. The braided cables you see are plugged into the original PSU cables in the PSU compartment behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

Calibos wrote: »
    Looked at a few DIY braiding guides and it looked a bit too much like hardwork to me. I ordered premade braided cable extensions. The braided cables you see are plugged into the original PSU cables in the PSU compartment behind.

I done the same, I bought a kit to do it myself and tried it on a spare cable but in the end I bought pre made exstention white cables and they look amazing. Awesome work by the way, looks so good

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Calibos wrote: »
    I done the same, I bought a kit to do it myself and tried it on a spare cable but in the end I bought pre made exstention white cables and they look amazing. Awesome work by the way, looks so good

Where did you guys get yours?
    Thinking of getting some for tidying up my rig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I want to sleeve my cables too but the cost of the pin remover tools and crimper puts me off.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Where did you guys get yours?
    Thinking of getting some for tidying up my rig.

I got mine here http://www.ebay.ie/usr/modpcuk?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

I emailed him and asked if i put in a order of a few cable could he bunch them together and only charge for one delivery, also they come with 2 really neat and tidy cable combs. different to ones i have seen before, they are already installed on the cables.

The quality is top class, i think for everything i got (one 8 pin CPU, one 8 pin Pcie, one 6 pin Pcie, one 24 Pin, one front panel headers and a hand full of 3 pin fan headers + delivery) it only cost me about €60 in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I got mine here http://www.ebay.ie/usr/modpcuk?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

I emailed him and asked if i put in a order of a few cable could he bunch them together and only charge for one delivery, also they come with 2 really neat and tidy cable combs. different to ones i have seen before, they are already installed on the cables.

The quality is top class, i think for everything i got (one 8 pin CPU, one 8 pin Pcie, one 6 pin Pcie, one 24 Pin, one front panel headers and a hand full of 3 pin fan headers + delivery) it only cost me about €60 in total.
    Thanks for that.

Had a look around, seems Scan have kits too:
    https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/power-supplies/braided-cables-psu-vga-harddrive-optical-adaptors
    Kits for £35.

game4it70 wrote: »
    I want to sleeve my cables too but the cost of the pin remover tools and crimper puts me off.

I have the pin remover for both size connectors if you want it. I bought a sleeving kit few years back from MDPC. It was tedious work, although the worst bit was getting the heatshrink sticking out of the connectors the same size.
    To add insult to injury, the cables were for a Corsair PSU, and they changed the pin out of the newer PSU's... Lesson learned, pre-made all the way next time :)

I have the pin remover for both size connectors if you want it. I bought a sleeving kit few years back from MDPC. It was tedious work, although the worst bit was getting the heatshrink sticking out of the connectors the same size.
    To add insult to injury, the cables were for a Corsair PSU, and they changed the pin out of the newer PSU's... Lesson learned, pre-made all the way next time :)

Thanks Glyn,That helps a lot :cool: :)
    My psu is a Corsair RM 650 (older model) so i will check out the pin out layout.

I'll send you a pm later on,thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

the worst bit was getting the heatshrink sticking out of the connectors the same size.

I had the same experience myself. Pain in the hole.

I would recommend just getting the extension cables, from trying it myself it will take a lot of practice to get them to be of show case quality.

I have lots of extensions but i want to make custom length cables.I have 9 rad fans so those cables need tiding up.

I know its a lot of work but hopefully its worth it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

game4it70 wrote: »
    I have lots of extensions but i want to make custom length cables.I have 9 rad fans so those cables need tiding up.

I know its a lot of work but hopefully its worth it for me.
    I will be doing the same for the same reason with my new build. Going to order all bits off Mdxpc soon.
    With a midi town and tempered glass on both sides, I really need to add custom length cables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

deceit wrote: »
    I will be doing the same for the same reason with my new build. Going to order all bits off Mdxpc soon.
    With a midi town and tempered glass on both sides, I really need to add custom length cables.

I have never done cables from scratch before. Where would be a good place to buy the actual wiring from?

Advertisement