Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

deejer wrote: »
    I have never done cables from scratch before. Where would be a good place to buy the actual wiring from?

Something like 0.75 or 1.5 sqmm tri-rated panel wire would do nicely, very flexible and higher current capacity; any decent electrical wholsaler who supplies parts for panel building should have some. I used to get a lot of gear from Demesne electrical back in the day, they have a place in Tallaght and in Cork as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

glynf wrote: »
    Something like 0.75 or 1.5 sqmm tri-rated panel wire would do nicely, very flexible and higher current capacity; any decent electrical wholsaler who supplies parts for panel building should have some. I used to get a lot of gear from Demesne electrical back in the day, they have a place in Tallaght and in Cork as well.

Something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Something like this?

I'm looking around for some atm too.
    Afaik Psu power cables use 18Awg and the likes of fan cables or front panel wires use 22Awg.
    Double check to be sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

game4it70 wrote: »
    I'm looking around for some atm too.
    Afaik Psu power cables use 18Awg and the likes of fan cables or front panel wires use 22Awg.
    Double check to be sure though.

He loves his custom wiring. Just see he actually goes into a bit of detail also on what you need in terms of wire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Something like this?

Thats the stuff, not sure what guage but I would guess 1.0 sqmm.

Also not a bad price from RS...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

This heat and my sweating into my Rift tonight reminded me that I've some clear acrylic magazine racks from a shop that I planned to cut to size and mount some spare LED 120/140mm fans to. ie. a pair on the desk pointed towards me when gaming in the attic bedroom in the heat in my underpants :D Yes, I could buy a desk fan but I think this idea would look pretty cool.

Buying some paracord and some black heatshrink for the fan cables for those will be the extent of my custom sleeving. Wouldn't have the patience for all the cables inside a PC. My Braided cable extensions are enough for me.

Heres a photo of my desk setup at the moment. Currently its a pair of Ikea Malm computer desks that I inherited from my brother and his girlfriend that they used for their PC's. I did a semi Ikea-Hack on them and joined them together. I've also posted a Sketchup drawing of what it'll look like when I pick up a second Malm drawer unit, a Lack shelf and a hape of Capita legs. Not in the model will be another Lack shelf cut to length and used as a middle back support for the desk surface and.....a pair of Ikea Blackout Blinds mounted under the desk surface at the back. They'll be my cable management solution. Cables can hang and tangle how ever the eff they want. You won't see them with the blinds pulled down. Need to access the cables? Pull the blinds up!! :D

EaAZzMj.jpg

c018OqE.jpg

Don't mind the cables for the Rift cameras. I'm not chasing walls for them when its looking like Gen 2 VR is likely to be using Inside/Out tracking with SLAM cameras in the HMD. Instead what I am going to do is run trunking up across and down the wall kinda framing the Vertical Desk surface. The right side will be empty dummy trunking as it were. No cable inside, merely there for aesthetics. The LED strips I'll mount to the back of the desk should cast some interesting glow and shadows with the trunking. Might Look ****, might look great, won't know till I do it or finish modelling the whole room and plan in sketchup and doing an Indigo Render of it, whichever comes first.

What wall colour goes with beige carpet with a hint of pink though?? Wrong forum maybe, I'll ask in the Interior Design forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Getting there now, most of the tedious things done.

eld21h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Took me a second to realize they were not speakers, and in fact fans :).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Calibos wrote: »
    c018OqE.jpg

That looks like you have cut one of the ikea desks in half? Just be careful as a lot of their stuff isn't solid and isn't designed to be altered in that manner

• Advertisement

That looks like you have cut one of the ikea desks in half? Just be careful as a lot of their stuff isn't solid and isn't designed to be altered in that manner

Nope. Won't need to cut anything. Well aware its chipboard inside. Thanks for the warning anyway though.

ozOKodN.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I'd nearly put a strut brace on the underside. It could double as some sort of cable management too :p.

Hal1 wrote: »
    I'd nearly put a strut brace on the underside. It could double as some sort of cable management too :p.

As I mentioned in the original post, I will actually purchase a second LACK shelf and Trim it to the appropriate height to fit under the desk at the back middle. It'll be under a compression load so I'm not worried about it being chipboard. This will give extra support under the monitor but most importantly will hide the gap between two Ikea 1200mm Blackout Blinds mounted under the desk along the back which will be my cable management solution. I can have a veritable spaghetti junction back there that won't be visible at all when the blinds are down and yet get full access to all the cables by simply pulling the blinds up.

I didn't include this in the sketchup model because it would have made the details of the rest of the desk with all the capita brackets and drawers less visible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

It's actually honeycombed cardboard as opposed to chipboard inside the lack (and many of the other cheaper Ikea products) isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's actually honeycombed cardboard as opposed to chipboard inside the lack (and many of the other cheaper Ikea products) isn't it?

Yup; Ikea Lack is cardboard lattice.
    How else could they make it so cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Yeah found that out myself when I made my own desk. Drilled a hole for cables to pass through, just cardboard inside.

Pic after todays work. Was having hassle with the pump, drained the loop twice :mad: . Still have to bleed some air bubbles up and tidy the wiring, I could of connecting the PCIE cables at least for the pic :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Looks amazing. No case?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Looks amazing. No case?

That is the case, a glass panel mounts on the steel studs.

If somebody made an AIO with rigid tubing (not possible obv) I'd be all over that, looks great, but could never be arsed with going the full manual route.

Looks amazing. No case?

That's the case but a glass panel goes over it, they released an upgrade kit which covers all the sides but it's almost the price of the case. No thanks lol.

I have a pic here with front on but protective covering still on and it was before I done the tubing.

Never mind the kink in led, I cut that so it sits perfect now.

• Advertisement

Finished it well ago, thank Christ I had a spare riser cable as I had serious hassle with system , was believing I sleeved the PCIE cables incorrectly until I swapped riser cable as last resort and boom , perfect.

Quite happy with the way it turned out, I done a 3D render months ago before I bought anything and it's pretty much bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I'll give ya a tenner for it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

love the little speedometer (unless its like a flowrate meter or something cool like that) at the bottom, does it do anything functional?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I'm feeling like a right peasant with my air cooled system with no LED's.......

:P:P:P

love the little speedometer (unless its like a flowrate meter or something cool like that) at the bottom, does it do anything functional?

Its a Defi gauge I took out of my brothers toyota supra, he didnt want it :). It measures the temp of the coolant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

now thats awesome haha, are custom loops hard to get into? ive thought about it for a while but tbh im very afraid of leaking and destroying all my stuff which is why ive just stuck with aio's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

now thats awesome haha, are custom loops hard to get into? ive thought about it for a while but tbh im very afraid of leaking and destroying all my stuff which is why ive just stuck with aio's

Nah it's not too hard, plenty of guides out there to help you out and plenty of help on here too. As long as you take your time and give your loop a good proper leak test before powering everything else up you should be fine. I was terrified while building my first loop, watched it like a hawk for the first few weeks.

Always wanted to try one myself but the bits and bobs are ridiculously expensive, thats the main turn off for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

It is expensive but totally worth it for the silence alone :D

• Advertisement

Is it really silent? I like silent, When not gaming I have some fans turned off and the others at their lowest RPM but I can still hear it. Be nice if I could get real silence even when gaming.

Advertisement