Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

Also picked up a set of Double shot keycaps for the K65. Great feeling off them.

460136.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm nearly finished my Battle-Station. I had planned to wait till it was 100% complete before posting it here but tonight while taking a photo of the PC Case for another forum, I said, "Screw it!" and took some more photo's of the overall Battle-Station to post here.

4QFPfoR.jpg

6ZYCDrb.jpg

RueJkyK.jpg

Its made from 2x Ikea Malm Desks that my Brother and his Girlfriend no longer needed for their Battlestations when they bought new desks. I took them off their hands. I also took the Ikea Malm Bedside Drawer unit they were getting rid of. I bought another matching Malm Bedside Drawer Unit (€45), a Lack Floating Wall Shelf (€12), a Lack Side Table (€6), 4x Packs of 2 Capita Angled Brackets (€13x4=€52),1x Pack of 16cm Capita Legs (€13) and finally 2x Packs of 4 8cm Capita legs (€12x2=€24). A few cheap Ikea Drawer pulls brought the total spend to about €150 to turn 2 of these into what you see above. Hence the Post Title, 'One Plus One Equals One ???'.

I've had the idea for a year or so and modelled it in Sketchup. Made some changes to the plan in the interim. Below is a link to the original Sketchup plan.

ozOKodN.jpg?1

I've a few things left to do. I want to find a S/H Dell V525W printer like the one I already have in order to harvest some of its outer chassis in order to make a Headset/Joypad/Rift Touch VR Controller Storage Display for the left side of the Monitor that carries over some of the Aesthetic from the Right Hand Side.

I also plan to fabricate a White 'Blackout' Blind that can be pulled down to hide the Modded Foldable GT Omega Sim Rig on the left when not in use.

I also have plans to convert my double bed into a MurphyBed which will double my VR Roomscale space when the bed is folded up against the rear wall of the room.

I'm also not going to post a photo of my Masterbation-Station Bed-Station at the rear of this room till I buy new Bed linen that isn't threadbare and hideously patterned. LOL

IMGUR Album with more photo's and spec lists

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Calibos wrote: »
    I'm nearly finished my Battle-Station.
    That looks fab :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭Inviere

Very impressive. Looks great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

That looks class. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

That looks epic Calibos.

What do you have the Hotas and stering wheel setups on?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Sick setup very very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Venom wrote: »
    That looks epic Calibos.

I wonder if that folds out or if it's just for when he's weaing the rift in VR, staring at a wall :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Epic setup, actually so satisfying to actually see it in-the-flesh finally after all those mock-ups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Calibos wrote: »
    I'm nearly finished my Battle-Station.

Nice setup man:cool:

whats the width of the main desk?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 schuffler

First build

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Loop obstructing EVGA logo on CPU Cooler, 2/10.

Really though, excellent first build, well done.

Epic setup, actually so satisfying to actually see it in-the-flesh finally after all those mock-ups.

I actually meant to post something self deprecating about that in my post. LOL. Something like....

Calibos, all talk and no action for 3 or 4 years finally finishes a plan!! :D

or

Calibos, Great at Rendering Plans...Not so great at actually implementing plans!! :D

Now, I just have to build that Media Server I've been talking about and Rendering since...eh....2014 :D

PLlXqjw.jpg

I absolutely genuinely positively am about to start building that believe it or not. Bought the Case for it in 2013. Bought the HDD Caddies for it in 2014. Recently scrounged an i5 4670K, mITX Z87 mobo and 8gb DDR3 Ram from my brothers GF after she built herself a new 8700K Rig. Still haven't made my mind up about whether to go with unRAID or Snapraid+Stablebit Drivepool and I'm keeping an eye on Amazon for WD MyBook sales because one can get re-labeled 8TB WD Reds inside them for a very large saving compared to buying an 8TB WD Red standalone. On r/datahoarder, they call this 'Shucking' where you buy these USB Standalone My Book's and remove the re-labeled WD Reds inside and fit them in your Media Servers instead.

However, I've downsized it to only 18 drives instead of 27. LOL :D

Venom wrote: »
    That looks epic Calibos.

Its a GT Omega Wheelstand

Thats a link to the Gear Shifter add-on piece that I bought but the photo shows the rest of the Wheelstand. This is what I bought.

It was a heavy fecker and got in the way of my VR Roomscale space if I left it out on the floor and annoyed me tucked under the desk and a pain to drag out. Had the brainwave to reconfigure the pieces and mount it into the unused old Home Theater equipment rack at the side of the room near the desk.

Theres new photo's I took tonight showing the modded wheelstand in better detail. Amazed even myself that I was able to figure out a way of mounting the wheelstand and the pedals, and with some reconfiguring of the existing pieces and only a few extra nuts and bolts and a few new holes drilled, make it so that it was foldable into the space available and also perfect for mounting my HOTAS to position them right at the end of my Office Chair arms.

'Ergonomically Terrific!!' as some game character from the very distant past once said. :D

Check Out the updated IMGUR Album again for photo's of the Sim-Rig

Shlippery wrote: »
    I wonder if that folds out or if it's just for when he's weaing the rift in VR, staring at a wall :D

In the in-thread photo's it is already 'folded out' :D

I added new photo's to the Album showing it 'Folded In'

You guessed right. I only use it in VR so no need for a physical screen in front of me or the the Sim-Rig in front of my main PC monitor.

https://imgur.com/a/ILDReMg

Nice setup man:cool:

whats the width of the main desk?

3 metres. The two Malm Tabletops joined together are 3m. The room itself is 3.15m. The 4 Malm Desk 'Legs' and Lack Side Table that make up the back 'Wall' of the Desk are.....3.15m. It wasn't planned. :D That Lack Side Table was originally bought to be used as a shelf to mount the PC case above the Sony 5.1 Receiver to be situated on the left side of the desk. That part of the plan didn't work out and I thanked my lucky stars that I only 'wasted' €6 on it. When I was 'Dry Fitting' the Desk 'Legs' along the back I turned and looked at the Lack Side Table still wrapped in its Ikea plastic and thought, "Nah! Theres no way I could be that lucky!". Turns out it fit like a glove meaning I could have a full room width back 'wall' to the desk. That then opened up the possibility of mounting the centre speaker above the monitor and then it made sense to mount the front left and right speakers on the back wall too instead of having them sit on the desk. Everything worked out like had always been planned that way from the beginning but thats not the case at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Calibos.you should so enter that for setup wars on youtube is a great looking setup and well though out. (tidy the dangling cable first :))

Calibos.you should so enter that for setup wars on youtube is a great looking setup and well though out. (tidy the dangling cable first :))

Thanks Skyla Scrawny Macaroon !

Eh...don't want to sound like I.....eh.....

Eh, I already thought about that. LOL :D

First though, I want to implement the rest of the overall plan for the room.

Get that Media server fully built, up and running and most importantly lit up.

Get my Headset and controller display/storage stand built for the left side of the monitor. I'm going to try and find a secondhand matching dell printer and harvest parts of its outer plastic chassis for this idea so it matches the actual in use printer from the other side of the monitor section.

Get the Masterbation-Station Bed-Station cabling cleaned up. (Will probably get this done tonight actually)

Get the Ikea double bed purchased, modded with a MurphyBed kit and installed and hide the exposed Spring slats of the bed when its upright hidden behind a thin sheet of fiber-board with an inset 1m x 1m piece of clear acrylic. The combo covered in black vinyl wrap with the Oculus Logo and my username lasercut out of the vinyl wrap over the acrylic section. Acrylic frosted and edge-lit with RGB LED strips thus making the underside of the bed when its up against the wall in VR Roomscale mode be this large matt black surface with Glowing Oculus Logo and Username. Even when the bed is down and the fancy Lit up logo isn't visible it'll cast a nice desk matching LED glow from under the bed.

Took some photo's of the revamped 'Bed-Station' at the other end of the room and added them to the Album for anyone who's interested.

Forgive the hideous bed-clothes. Will be upgrading those when I buy and mod an Ikea Malm bed into a Murphy Bed in order to double the size of my VR roomscale space.

Album Link

RQjHmO9l.jpg?1

n0r64Ksl.jpg?1

KwXlWIHl.jpg?1

y8Jsxbil.jpg?1

Bed-Station PC specs are a Haswell i5 4570S on an MSi H81 mITX mobo with 8gb HyperX DDR3 ram and 90W Pico PSU in an Antec ISK100 uSFF case. You can just about see it bolted to the back of the bedside drawer unit in the first and second photo above. I modded the case with a black plastic panel with cutout for the fan behind the Mesh ventilation grille and the Stock Intel OEM heatsink/fan with a fan shroud. In combination these ensure that the fan can only intake fresh cool outside air and only exhaust it past the other internal components and out the cases's side vents. In stock configuration the ventilation of this case is not great because heated air from the cpu cooler would just bounce back off the mobo and internal components straight back out the large mesh ventilation grille only to be pulled straight back in by the fan again. ie. Recycling already heated air. Of course in a low powered system like this its probably not a big deal but my mod wasn't a big deal to implement either and if it keeps the stock Intel Coolers fan spinning slower and quieter then thats still a result in my book. When I opened up the PC for the photo's I took the opportunity to clean dust and grime off the fan chassis, blades and shroud and to replace the 5 year old Icy Diamond 24 thermal Paste from the original 2013 build with some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

5v USB fan attached to a bendable gooseneck mic arm. This was a life/sleep-saver this Summer up in this attic bedroom. I could bend it and aim it down my back to keep me cool. Also helped to blow the farts away! LOL !

One of the rear surround speakers of the main 5.1 system is on the bedside drawer unit.

Harmony Ultimate one remote and charger for controlling Kodi on the VR PC and the 5.1 amp volume when watching movies and tv shows in a virtual cinema from the comfort of my bed.

23" AOC 1080p monitor on an Ergotrom mount bolted to the side of the Ikea wardrobe with all the cables routed inside the wardrobe and out its back panel off to their respective destinations.

13 year old Creative iTrigue 3500 2.1 PC Speaker system with the speakers attached to the sides of the monitor and the subwoofer located under the bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Cabling through the wardrobe is a brilliant little touch. If I had that I'd be bedbound for life though...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Fantasic setup Calibos...looks amazing.
    I need to sort out my **** now after seeing that :D

Blazer wrote: »
    Fantasic setup Calibos...looks amazing.
    I need to sort out my **** now after seeing that :D

Thanks Blazer!

I'm immensely proud of my Bed-Station PC setup. I'm so glad you like it! ;);):D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

have being putting this together for quite a while; finally completed the last bit today; the GPU. (didn't fancy a 2080 due to benchmarks and don't believe ray tracing will be worthwhile this generation, so went for an Aorus 1080 Ti)

not set up desk space area for it; but have the Ikea karlby desk setup and a noble chair epic waiting

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/MpfWKB

http://tinypic.com/r/ztiyro/9
    http://tinypic.com/r/2ir6yk5/9
    http://tinypic.com/r/3346hx4/9
    http://tinypic.com/r/ay7oyu/9

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The ram for my new build finally arrived :D

amd2_zpsny6dusbg.jpg

Ryzen 2700X
    Asus Crosshair VII
    G.skill Flare X 16Gb 3200MHz

Just need a Phanteks Evolv X and maybe the one of the new Notcua D15's due out soon to finish up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,095 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

BArra wrote: »
    have being putting this together for quite a while; finally completed the last bit today; the GPU. (didn't fancy a 2080 due to benchmarks and don't believe ray tracing will be worthwhile this generation, so went for an Aorus 1080 Ti)

not set up desk space area for it; but have the Ikea karlby desk setup and a noble chair epic waiting

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/MpfWKB

http://tinypic.com/r/ztiyro/9
    http://tinypic.com/r/2ir6yk5/9
    http://tinypic.com/r/3346hx4/9
    http://tinypic.com/r/ay7oyu/9

That's the top I'm thinking of getting for my desk, and using two Alex draws for legs.

Stick up a picture when you have it done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

Yep have 2x Alex drawers in grey and the oak worktop, going to be a few months before I can set it up unfortunately!

BArra wrote: »
    Yep have 2x Alex drawers in grey and the oak worktop, going to be a few months before I can set it up unfortunately!

Are you going to leave to table top directly on the lockers? I'm looking for metal legs/brackets to raise the top off the lockers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Are you going to leave to table top directly on the lockers? I'm looking for metal legs/brackets to raise the top off the lockers.

capita legs ikea is your only man.

• Advertisement

capita legs ikea is your only man.

Can they be screwed from both ends? To the top of the locker and to the bottom of the desk top?

Edit:

Something like this is what I'm looking for but straight rather than slanted?

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/kitchen-products/worktops-worktops-accessories/capita-bracket-stainless-steel-art-40051196/

Advertisement