Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

You can get the Capitas as a straight leg, in two heights, but they don't screw in at both ends afaik.

linkypoo

• Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You can get the Capitas as a straight leg, in two heights, but they don't screw in at both ends afaik.

linkypoo

Cheers for that. Prefer to have it screwed at both ends but I'll have a look the next day I'm up there to see exactly what way they are.

If not I might just leave the desk top on the lockers but I'm not sure if 70cm will feel very low?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Cheers for that. Prefer to have it screwed at both ends but I'll have a look the next day I'm up there to see exactly what way they are.

If not I might just leave the desk top on the lockers but I'm not sure if 70cm will feel very low?

Its really handy to not have it screwed to the alix drawers, its so heavy the top that it would never move, but your can move it a little for cable management. It you want it rigid, you can screw through the capita leg with a bolt but it requires some bodging.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

Question to all, have any of you seen The Verge video on how to build a custom PC?
    it is nearly 3 weeks now and there is still videos surfacing on YouTube slating it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Question to all, have any of you seen The Verge video on how to build a custom PC?
    it is nearly 3 weeks now and there is still videos surfacing on YouTube slating it.

Its not as bad as everyone is making out, yeah the guy is spouting some weird crap, but its obvious he never put a PC together in his life before. Seems more of a boon to other youtubers posting reaction videos more than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. It was very apparent in first few minutes the guy doing it had no real idea what he was doing, which I think is part of the reason it was slated so much.

There were a few odd/weird/bad decisions in the video which, if a total newbie was using as a guide, could potentially result in a ballsed up machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Sonics2k wrote: »
    It wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. It was very apparent in first few minutes the guy doing it had no real idea what he was doing, which I think is part of the reason it was slated so much.

There were a few odd/weird/bad decisions in the video which, if a total newbie was using as a guide, could potentially result in a ballsed up machine.

It was as bad as people made it out to for the simple reason it was an instruction video. You need to take into account if someone who had no idea about PC building took that info to heart, they would be using the wrong tools, use way to-much thermal paste which would effect cooling, risking damaging the AIO cooler by using the wrong screws and no fans possibly resulting in leaking and installing the PSU as shown in the video could lead to problems with overheating. The fact the Verge left the video up yet disabled comments alerting viewers of issues regarding the advice been giving out, is pretty damn unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The video was seriously ridiculous,from a professional outfit it comes accross even worse.

The band wagon jumping from other tech youtubers was pretty poor too though.

Venom wrote: »
    It was as bad as people made it out to for the simple reason it was an instruction video. You need to take into account if someone who had no idea about PC building took that info to heart, they would be using the wrong tools, use way to-much thermal paste which would effect cooling, risking damaging the AIO cooler by using the wrong screws and no fans possibly resulting in leaking and installing the PSU as shown in the video could lead to problems with overheating. The fact the Verge left the video up yet disabled comments alerting viewers of issues regarding the advice been giving out, is pretty damn unprofessional.

If anything, what really pissed me off was that the Verge later on went to claim the criticism was due to racism.

I'd actually totally forgotten about the PSU being in wrong, honestly I could only watch like 5 or so minutes before I had to turn it off.

Clearly it was more focused on nice editing and camera techniques than actual guidance.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    If anything, what really pissed me off was that the Verge later on went to claim the criticism was due to racism.

I'd actually totally forgotten about the PSU being in wrong, honestly I could only watch like 5 or so minutes before I had to turn it off.

Clearly it was more focused on nice editing and camera techniques than actual guidance.

Something like 13 people working on that video! How the hell can you have that many fools who know so little about tech, working for a tech website and all on that one project! I didn't see any racist stuff myself about the presenter only people giving him tons of crap over comments he made during some twitch stream afterwards about the video only getting grief because people were jealous of the hardware, how he's built a few PC's himself and knows what he's doing and the PC in question worked so any criticism was unwarranted.

EoinHef, the reason so many tech-channels on Youtube jumped all over that video and the Verge themselves, was down to the Verge calling them out previously as people to be ignored due to not being "journalists".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

The Verge hasn’t been a proper tech site for quite a while now. At first glance it seems to be but once you get into it it’s really just a mish mash of click bait, right-on-ism and attempts to influence people under the guise of reviews that have zero objectivity.

The Verge hasn’t been a proper tech site for quite a while now. At first glance it seems to be but once you get into it it’s really just a mish mash of click bait, right-on-ism and attempts to influence people under the guise of reviews that have zero objectivity.

It's a shame, because when Joshua Topolsky (spelling?) founded it, the site was extremely tech focused, with an interesting bias towards iPhones but a preference for Google.

They then got bought out by Vox Media, possibly after Joshua left, and the site went more 'Culture' based over tech. Most of the good journalists left and moved on to other companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

It might seem unprofessional of other youtuber’s to come out with reaction videos but the Verge had it coming after the comments they made tell people not to listen or take there advice because there are not journalists.

“It is not as bad as everyone is making it out to be” are you for real? The list of wrong, bad, and exstremly misinformitive. Telling people to use a Swiss Army knife to build with, that it doesn’t matter what PciE lane, miss configuration of ram, WAY to much thermal paste and mixing two different types, using wrong type screws for rad that could have pierced it and really ****ed up the build, mounted the PSU backwards and starve it of air, miss a screw on the CPU block, give faults information on ram speed, the list goes on. In fact there isn’t anything that they did right in this video and the fact that they have 2.1million subs where aware of the mistakes disabled comments likes and dislikes and left this up for nearly 2 weeks is scary.

In that two weeks they could have reached thousands of first time builders that take there advice as gospel and really ****ed there rigs up.

As journalists they have a responsibility to bring the truth and in this case they didn’t and tried to cover up there mistakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That video was an absolute disgrace. How to build a PC.....with your host, a man who clearly is fumbling his way through his own first or second build.

It'd be one thing if some random guy released such a a video, but for it to be a sponsored-video, produced by a big company like The Verge, which would've had multiple person input aas well as editorial supervision....

I'd let stuff like the ram speed and single channel slide maybe, but drawing a pentagram of thermal paste onto your CPU "because the pre-installed stuff is never enough", claiming the rubber mounts were to stop the PSU "shorting out" and installing it backwards, installing the CPU block/whole rad incorrectly, horrific lack of cable management, etc....

And then the way they reacted to it, accusing people of being the problem rather than the video (which they later eventually admitted was the problem and removed it).

Didn't watch any of the reaction videos but it deserved the flak it got and worse, dreadful carry on from an incredibly popular supposed tech platform. Bet the sponsors loved it though - so much more exposure than expected!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

a swiss army knife and allen key :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

squawker wrote: »
    a swiss army knife and allen key :)

That was the kicker really.
    Like, who's never heard of a magnetic screwdriver before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Don't forget about that antistatic wrist strap

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Squaredude wrote: »
    Don't forget about that antistatic wrist strap

"Simply wrap this around your head and you will be safe from static discharge"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

and everything was called a bracket including the IO shield

y1wNtB0.jpg

I finally got everything set up last night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thats a fine big desk, where did you get it ?

Dcully wrote: »
    Thats a fine big desk, where did you get it ?

IKEA. Two Alex drawers and an Ekbacken worktop. €165 for everything.

The top is 186cm long and 63 deep.

Had a spare Hue strip in the press so stuck that down the back to add some light. I forgot to pick up the cables tidy yesterday so they're all just lying on the ground.

Looks great dude. Well done.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think you need a better chair for that setup :P

Kiith wrote: »
    I think you need a better chair for that setup :P

I've to go get a chair still. One of the kitchen ones will do for the minute, or a bigger coffee table :pac:

Kinda drawn between the Markus and the Lanfjall but leaning towards the second one as it just seemed to fit my back better.

Just waiting on the new black Noctua D15's and this upgrade is finished.

desk1_zpsmlkzv4wl.jpgdesk1.5_zpsdrrnrudv.jpgdesk2_zpsucsu5idr.jpg

Few pics of new 3XS machine from SCAN.

They sent me a tonne of goodies,detailed info and pics of every stage of the build and 24 hr test results and timestamps etc.
    16GB memory stick full of detailed info,photos and utilities etc.

Only disappointment is the case , not mad on it at all, should of spent a bit more on a better one.

20181018-192224.jpg

20181018-192617.jpg

20181018-160029.jpg

20181018-163535.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

Few pics of new 3XS machine from SCAN.

They sent me a tonne of goodies,detailed info and pics of every stage of the build and 24 hr test results and timestamps etc.
    16GB memory stick full of detailed info,photos and utilities etc.

Only disappointment is the case , not mad on it at all, should of spent a bit more on a better one.

what sorta goodies!?

2 Mugs,1 Mouse Mat,2 16GB memory sticks one with info test results etc the other blank,Cool little carrier bag, maybe tonnes was too strong a word :P

Just had a long session with AC Odyssey as its a total whore to run and framerate was superb throughout at ultra settings @ 1440 , very similar to benchmarks ive seen online for this spec.

Im kinda concerned about temps,, i hit max of 82C at one stage Oced 8600K @ 4,8ghz, mostly sat at 70C to 75C.
    Anything to be worried about?

• Advertisement

2 Mugs,1 Mouse Mat,2 16GB memory sticks one with info test results etc the other blank,Cool little carrier bag, maybe tonnes was too strong a word :P

Just had a long session with AC Odyssey as its a total whore to run and framerate was superb throughout at ultra settings @ 1440 , very similar to benchmarks ive seen online for this spec.

Im kinda concerned about temps,, i hit max of 82C at one stage Oced 8600K @ 4,8ghz, mostly sat at 70C to 75C.
    Anything to be worried about?

Do Intel 8th gens not just run hot tho?

Maybe look into adjusting the fan curve?

Advertisement