Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

Those temps are fine. I've mine OC'd to 4.5gz on an AIO and it runs about 60C. Are you auto overclocking in the BIOS or manually?

@Venom, Would you not lift the case off the carpet? Dust City in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Dcully wrote: »
    2 Mugs,1 Mouse Mat,2 16GB memory sticks one with info test results etc the other blank,Cool little carrier bag, maybe tonnes was too strong a word :P

Just had a long session with AC Odyssey as its a total whore to run and framerate was superb throughout at ultra settings @ 1440 , very similar to benchmarks ive seen online for this spec.

Im kinda concerned about temps,, i hit max of 82C at one stage Oced 8600K @ 4,8ghz, mostly sat at 70C to 75C.
    Anything to be worried about?

The overclock that 3xs put on the boards is usually a higher voltage than necessary, drop it back to stock....see what the temps are like, then reinstate the overclock and drop the voltage until you hit stability issues. 8600's run hot on individual cores but the overall package temperature should not be in the 80's. Max reading can hit 90's because you get spikes due to voltage draw and the slow conductivity of the TIM.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks guys
    Those temps are fine. I've mine OC'd to 4.5gz on an AIO and it runs about 60C. Are you auto overclocking in the BIOS or manually?

Im using the profile setup by scan at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Thanks guys

Im using the profile setup by scan at the moment.

What's the load like at those temperatures?

• Advertisement

It's more than likely over volted as fitzgeme mentions.

It's more than likely over volted as fitzgeme mentions.

That cooler is not the greatest for overclocking, another fan on it in push pull would be a good idea and an exhaust on the rear of the case. With a cooler on the GPU like that you can be sucking in hot air into the CPU cooler. Airflow is improved in those case by removing the mesh grill on the front too, which on a computer up high like that is fine.

Also DSkully, if you feeling brave I got this in the post today and your welcome to come to my house and use it for a delid......

I dropped CPU Core Voltage from 1.300 set by scan to 1.270 and opened the front of the case the mesh as you suggested fitzgeme and temps never go over 75C now.
    Its noticeable how much quieter it is with the front mesh off.

@fitzgeme, thanks a lot for that offer but no im not brave enough lol..

I havent a clue what voltage to go for, ive never manually OCed before, i just used the profile that came with my old rig from scan and was solid for years,, was hoping this would be a similar story.

After googling temps for the 8600K some people say once your not always in the 90`s its, fine?
    Im not sure what to do now, try to manually lower overclock or just stick with stock settings.

Your probably right, anything under 90 is most likely fine, I would reccomend download Aida64 and do the stress test for an hour (tick the stress GPU option to simulate gaming)...if your not thermal throttling (its shows you on the graph very clearly) your fine.

If it crashes your overclock is unstable. Sometimes we care too much about temperatures and 1.300 volts is not a lot of volts really, its only over 1.4 I get concerned.

Sounds like simple optimization of airflow in the case is all you need, make sure the GPU and CPU are not "stewing in their own heat" soaking it in and that there is ample fans pushing the hot air out the back and top of the case. Seems to me you have 3 fans pushing air in and nothing really pulling hot air out.

Am a but nervous myself about the delid...but feck it whats the worst that can happen I wreck a 400 euro excellent overclocking chip....if that happens I can then justify buying a 9900k.

Yeah fitzgeme, aida 64 shipped with the rig in a utility section scan installed.

I also have photos of their 24hr burn in results with aida [which was fine ,no throttling and max 82C].

Im using aida for stress testing after i change things.
    I just finished a quick 30 mins stress test there now, max temps were 72C but mostly sat on 65C , changes ive made were dropping vcore to 1.270 and upping the fan curve to turbo it was set to standard.
    Sounds like simple optimization of airflow in the case is all you need, make sure the GPU and CPU are not "stewing in their own heat" soaking it in and that there is ample fans pushing the hot air out the back and top of the case. Seems to me you have 3 fans pushing air in and nothing really pulling hot air out.

One fan on front of the case is all then the CPU cooler and GPU fans.

I ran stress test on the settings i was gaming with lastnight , the ones scan set and similar to their 24hr test results there was no throttling at all in the graph and max temp was 82C, that was an 8 hour test overnight , results consistent with scans 24hr ones.

I might be fine with the scan settings but nice to know changing a few things my end seem to have helped, im learning how to do it all manually as i go :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

@Venom, Would you not lift the case off the carpet? Dust City in no time.

It's going to be corrected soon but in the meantime the dust filter and the 2-inch gap will have to do. I'm planning on replacing and lowering the slide-out keyboard shelf so it runs the entire length of the underside of the desk, and then cutting the current shelf to the width of the case and having the case sit on it.

desk_zpsu1qeesjr.jpg

Venom wrote: »
    It's going to be corrected soon bu...........

Do you by an chance like a vape :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Im kinda concerned about temps,, i hit max of 82C at one stage Oced 8600K @ 4,8ghz, mostly sat at 70C to 75C.
    Anything to be worried about?

Nope. Sounds completely normal - event decent - considering a) heavy overclock b) 1080Ti in the case c) case itself not brilliant for airflow and finally d) AC:O is CPU heavy

Nothing to worry about inherently, those temps are not dangerous at all.

Nope. Sounds completely normal - event decent - considering a) heavy overclock b) 1080Ti in the case c) case itself not brilliant for airflow and finally d) AC:O is CPU heavy

Nothing to worry about inherently, those temps are not dangerous at all.

Awesome great to know thanks..

Ive gone from 30-45 fps medium/low [unplayable for me] to 75-85fps Ultra preset in AC Odyssey.
    When i use digital foundry recommended settings [mostly ultra/high] i get about 100fps with little to no noticeable difference to the naked eye in terms of eye candy, now i can hit those sweet bow headshots all day long :P
    Havent got a chance to try anything else yet but feels like a beast of a rig by comparison :)
    ACO is a fecking benchmarking tool in itself,, never played a game so demanding/un optimized.

Do you by an chance like a vape :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

What gave it away lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

qRxohxP.jpg

After moving from my S340 to this Phanteks Enthoo Pro M! New Noctua cooler (which was a breeeze to install and looks a lot better than I thought it would).....now I just need to get that RX480 out and whack in an RTX2070 (opening up abuse from the masses!)

https://i.imgur.com/kP6I0Ir.jpg - still blissfully ignoring the wires behind the pc.

What 2070 did you go for?

What 2070 did you go for?
    Didn't pick one yet, waiting til payday!

Should be some deals next week....hold off and see. The factory overclocked cards are superior so maybe try get one of those...

Shlippery wrote: »

After moving from my S340 to this Phanteks Enthoo Pro M! New Noctua cooler (which was a breeeze to install and looks a lot better than I thought it would).....now I just need to get that RX480 out and whack in an RTX2070 (opening up abuse from the masses!)

https://i.imgur.com/kP6I0Ir.jpg - still blissfully ignoring the wires behind the pc.

Very nice man but why no rear exhaust fan?

Are those Wharfedale220's and if so how do you find them?

• Advertisement

Very nice man but why no rear exhaust fan?

Are those Wharfedale220's and if so how do you find them?

Haha, no flies on you - yes i'm going to slap in a rear exhaust fan today! The new case came with 2 front ones preinstalled & I had 3 NZXT hue fans in my old case (2 top, 1 rear) , and since the 3 of them fit nicely beside each other at the top of the new case, I kept them all together.

I've a plain one I can stick in the rear for the time being!

Also yep, they're 220's, got em off the guys at Richersounds here on boards, I love them. They're my first 'proper' speakers after having an old set of logitech x530's for years ( https://i.imgur.com/yE7DJwe.jpg :pac: )

I've a crappy lepy desktop amp that was only £20, so want to change that..

But before I do that, i'm going for new GPU, and a new monitor...! An expensive christmas ahead!

Haha, no flies on you - yes i'm going to slap in a rear exhaust fan today! The new case came with 2 front ones preinstalled & I had 3 NZXT hue fans in my old case (2 top, 1 rear) , and since the 3 of them fit nicely beside each other at the top of the new case, I kept them all together.

I've a plain one I can stick in the rear for the time being!

Also yep, they're 220's, got em off the guys at Richersounds here on boards, I love them. They're my first 'proper' speakers after having an old set of logitech x530's for years ( https://i.imgur.com/yE7DJwe.jpg pacman.gif )

But before I do that, i'm going for new GPU, and a new monitor...! An expensive christmas ahead!

Thankfully I'm at the end of my upgrades but is crazy how much going down the rabbit hole can hit you in the pocket so speakers and monitor are down the road for 2019. Do the 220's have enough base themselves or would pairing them with a passive subwoofer and a 2.1 amp be a better option?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Also yep, they're 220's, got em off the guys at Richersounds here on boards, I love them. They're my first 'proper' speakers after having an old set of logitech x530's for years ( https://i.imgur.com/yE7DJwe.jpg :pac: )

This thing?
    41klOQCVI6L._SY355_.jpg

I found it to be really good for the money, to be honest. I've never used a proper receiver though, so I've no idea how good something more powerful sounds. Have you any experience there? (I've been thinking about a proper receiver for a while now too)

Serephucus wrote: »
    This thing?
    41klOQCVI6L._SY355_.jpg

I found it to be really good for the money, to be honest. I've never used a proper receiver though, so I've no idea how good something more powerful sounds. Have you any experience there? (I've been thinking about a proper receiver for a while now too)

Yea, exactly that guy- well it just doesn't look great and the led on the volume knob doesn't work anymore, I figured something a bit pricier would be better but yeah, not sure how different it'd sound with something more powerful!

I'll something to the wish list :P

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Siskods9

Unusual high failure rates for GeForce RTX 2080 Ti?
    https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/unusual-high-failure-rates-for-geforce-rtx-2080-ti.html

Will be the weekend before I can put it into my loop and test it.

Am feeling sick :mad:

Siskods9 wrote: »
    Unusual high failure rates for GeForce RTX 2080 Ti?
    https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/unusual-high-failure-rates-for-geforce-rtx-2080-ti.html

Will be the weekend before I can put it into my loop and test it.

Am feeling sick :mad:

Dont worry....its a small issue being reported more than its happening due to schadenfreude and general negativity around RTX and anyone who has one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Folks anyone recommend a RGB light to put in the PC? Was going to put a Hue extension strip in it but that might be a bit excessive.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Folks anyone recommend a RGB light to put in the PC? Was going to put a Hue extension strip in it but that might be a bit excessive.

It kinda depends on what motherboard you have and how you want the RGB strips to be connected. Do you want them linked to any existing software such as Asus Sync, Gigabyte Aorus, MSI Mystic Light if that's an option or are you looking at something from the like of Corsair or Thermaltake that have their own separate controls?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It kinda depends on what motherboard you have and how you want the RGB strips to be connected. Do you want them linked to any existing software such as Asus Sync, Gigabyte Aorus, MSI Mystic Light if that's an option or are you looking at something from the like of Corsair or Thermaltake that have their own separate controls?

I've an AS Rock AB350 Pro. Just want a light inside the case now. Doesn't need to flash or anything.

• Advertisement

DHL done good. Was not expecting this till next week :D

d15_zpsjj3z3kt3.jpg

Advertisement