Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Well thats the plan but i havnt got a notion on how to do it. Any tips?

Im just going about creating a backup partition and all that first.

Ive come to realise the 3 sexiest letters in the english language, SSD! rediculous how fast it boots up.

I was going to get a Corsair H50 CPU Cooler but the seller told me the Noctua CPU Cooler is a very good one and that would be fine for over clocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

MarkJD wrote: »

Well thats the plan but i havnt got a notion on how to do it. Any tips?

Im just going about creating a backup partition and all that first.

Ive come to realise the 3 sexiest letters in the english language, SSD! rediculous how fast it boots up.

I was going to get a Corsair H50 CPU Cooler but the seller told me the Noctua CPU Cooler is a very good one and that would be fine for over clocking.

I've a similar rig bar no ssd :( but i run at 4.2ghz ;)
    I have 2 corsairs and tbh i'm not overly impressed by them so yeah the Noctua was a good choice.

As for overclocking,
    You need to read some guides and learn what the settings do before you start messing with stuff.Google guides for your particular mobo as there are slight variations on what they call the settings on different boards.
    I would be glad to help you after you do your research.
    Feel free to post up or pm me and enjoy the i7 goodness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

I've been meaning to do this for a while...

Computer space (dark):

124033.JPG

Computer space (light):

124034.JPG

Computer itself (old place, it is in a rather tight corner atm)

124035.JPG

Internals:

124036.JPG

Spec:

CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 @ 3.4Ghz
    RAM: 4GB Team Xtreem @ 1600Mhz, 7-7-7-21
    GPU: ATI 5830 (4890 died)
    Mobo: Asus MA489GTD Pro USB 3.0/Sata 3
    HDD 1: 64GB Kingston SSD V+
    HDD 2: 1TB Samsung F3
    Audio: Creative X-fi Extreme Gamer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I hate the way reading this thread gives me such an itch to build a new computer, even though my own one couldn't be any more perfect for my needs. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I hate the way reading this thread gives me such an itch to build a new computer, even though my own one couldn't be any more perfect for my needs. :mad:
    I feel your pain brother:P

• Advertisement

Then you definitely should not read this one. :D First few dozen pages are old and less exciting.. but when you get into the meat of it.. oh my.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Right. Time to remortgage the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭zappb

whats the plan terror?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

CD: Would you not be a little worried your monitors might fall off those cases? I'd find that really disconcerting.

CD: Would you not be a little worried your monitors might fall off those cases? I'd find that really disconcerting.

I actually used to have proper monitor mounts so they looked like they were suspended in mid air, but when I moved house I got a new desk and foolishly bought a desk that has no space at the rear for mounts. The DVD cases suffice, I've had no trouble with them. I would imagine however if I knocked them they might be a bit unstable, but thankfully they are out of the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Installed my ECO 240 today and some new Dominator heatsinks. Also have 2x140mm fans on side of case now to cool GPU's.

dscn0571n.jpg

pc4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭zappb

That is a thing of beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Flaccus wrote: »
    Installed my ECO 240 today and some new Dominator heatsinks. Also have 2x140mm fans on side of case now to cool GPU's.

dscn0571n.jpg

pc4.jpg
    Do want.

Running IntelBurntest at max settings, the cores stayed in low to mid 60's only once spiking to 71. This is according to Realtemp.
    The H50 was at least 10 degrees hotter in the same test.

Idle
    idle.jpg

Load
    loadi.jpg

resultsy.jpg

Some slightly better pics. Notice the fan filter on the back. This is because the rear 140mm fan is now an intake as recommended by most 800D owners. I had to use rubber hd spacers between the rear fan and the back of the case to prevent turbulence. Same with bottom fan which is also intaking. Because they are Noiseblocker PK2's and spin at 1200rpm and more powerful then the stock Corsair fans they tend to cause turbulence if placed to near to a grille or obstruction. Good static pressure though for case fans. The last thing I have to do now is mod the front 5.25" optical panel with a Lian Li one for a better match, and fit my Corsair AX1200 when it arrives next week and do some proper cable management around the back.

dscn0588o.jpg
    dscn0586p.jpg
    dscn0589.jpg
    dscn0597.jpg
    dscn0576.jpg
    dscn0583d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Jaysus Flaccus, where'd you get the money for all this?

Royalties....I invented dice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I updated the Level 10 rig...

XIscd.jpg

First I added 2 x XFX 5970 Black Eds and a lian Li USB 3 controller, then got to work on the watercooling, here's the first test loop...

iaTsv.jpg

worked fine so I mounted the rad to the back drilling only 4 x 3mm diameter holes and using machined M3 screw rods and nuts to make the standoffs.

5VSMh.jpg

For the Res I chose an XSPC dual bay that holds a LIANG D5 as there was little remaining space to mount elsewhere

I still need to install a couple of red leds behind it to make the window pop

3Y5o4.jpg

here's a pic i took when I was trying to re-insert the USB card, I couldn't see what i was doing so used the camera to line up the slot. LOL all that leaning over and trying to see into tight spaces does my back in after a few hours. I'm getting old.

y629o.jpg

and finally the completed loop

...Res --> pump --> mosfet 1 --> mosfet 2 --> northbridge/southbridge --> CPU --> 5970 1 --> 5970 2 --> Rad --> Res...

hbr9Z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TiNcAn

What Rad are you using.

I think that there is a bit too much restriction required for a single pump laing mcp 355 pump, unless you have the xspc res with 2 laing pumps.

Would you not sider getting the bridge waterblock connection for your graphics cards, it might tidy things up a little bit?

Whats the block your using aswell fro your cpu?

Be sure to post some results if your overclocking your rig on water (which any body who is doing custom water loop should! :P)

• Advertisement

I run the D5 at about half power (setting 2.5) which is plenty of flow and pressure to keep everything cool.

Rad is phobia 4 x 120 mm

I bought a bridge bloc but the case wouldn't close with it installed, I also had a lot more fittings and accessories i ended up not using because it all added to the weight of an already heavy box.

CPU bloc is a heatkiller rev 3 nickel

OC results on the way, CPU remains at 4.0Ghz

Not OCed the GPUs more than a little past stock just yet.

that said it's cold as ice so I have a bit or room to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

Stunning machine Spacedog, it looks extremely intimidating! Did it bother you having to drill through the panels of the level 10? I would have been extremely nervous about messing that up!

I borrowed a mounted dril and some other tools before hacking away at the panel. also measured and marked everything a couple of times before tapping and cutting the holes (also drilled from the back incase I slipped). I've only seen 1 other Level 10 with watercooling, and the guy butchered the poor thing. front panels missing etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I hope you posted pics in suitable places so people know how it's supposed to be done! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭somakasvh

I built this machine before xmas and have been wanting to show it off, but I was waiting until I got my new desk and chair. Desk is (finally) all set up now, so here it is:

GOJ72l.jpg

G2GBxl.jpg

3PkLVl.jpg

daa7cl.jpg

Specs are:
    Core i5 750
    8GB Geil Ultra Series PC3-17000
    MSI P55-GD65
    Sapphire Radeon 5850 1GB
    Intel X18-M 80GB G1 SSD
    Samsung F3 1TB
    Silverstone Raven RV02
    Corsair HX620W
    Prolimatech Megahalems w/ 2 PWM Akasa Apache ( Camo - not black :( )
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Also in pic:
    Dell SP2309W monitor
    Logitech Z-5500 speakers
    Logitech G500 mouse
    Saitek Eclipse 3 keyboard

I also have a few pics of my file server I can throw up:

It lives beside my fuse box so I never have to hear it.

cbf7ll.jpg

ygQZfl.jpg

Specs of this are:
    Core i3 530
    Single 2GB stick of cheapo Kingston DDR3
    Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H
    2 x WD Green 2TB EADS
    1 x WD Green 1.5TB EADS
    Antec Mini P180
    Corsair CX400W

I've got this running unRAID on top of Debian off a 8GB flash drive.
    It's got 3.5TBs of usable storage, but I need to add another 2TB drive to this soon because I'm running out of space. That will bring it up to 5.5TB.

I use this mostly for media streaming (My HTPC running xbmc connects to this using NFS), storing ISOs which I mount remotely, and torrenting.

I really like that Raven RV02 case. Had one myself and sometimes regret selling it. As I changed my psu today, here are some more gratuitous shots. Strangley enough the AX1200 has major coil whine. Replacement AX1200 here tommorrow. If all is ok, I will be keeping the AX1200 and selling an Enermax Galaxy 1250w or vice versa :)

dscn0612f.jpg
    dscn0609z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Whew!

I'm happy to report that the machine outlined in this thread has become self-aware at 1:26am last Tuesday. After ordering the parts from hwvs it took them exactly a week to arrive which I found impressive (ordered 1am Monday morning, delivery 9am the next Monday). Everything worked first time so I couldn't be happier if I tried. :D

And now, in the spirit of 'pics or it didn't happen':
    image002.jpg

image001.jpg

image003.jpg

After powering up, the system spent the first ten minutes laughing at my feeble attempts at cable management. :o

Final spec:
    Phenom II x4 955 BE w/ CM Hyper 212+ on AS5
    MSI 870A-G54
    G-Skill Ripjaws PC3-10667U 4x2GB
    Asus 5850 1GB
    Samsung HD103SJ
    Samsung SH-223C
    Corsair TX650W
    CM HAF 922
    BenQ G2220HD
    Windows 7 HP Retail

Temps:
    CPU idle: 26C, load (Prime95 running for half an hour): 48C
    GPU idle: 36C, load (Stalker-SHOC 1920x1080 maxed): 67C
    Room temp: 20-21C

No overclock yet, that has to wait until the weekend, need some sleep first. :D

It's much more quiet than I expected. The case emits this smooth hum that's barely audible with the TV on, and still not too disturbing in total silence. I'll probably get a fan controller and tune it down even further though. Also on the shopping list is a wireless card, I can't believe I didn't think of it when I ordered.

All in all, chuffed with the new purchase. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Semtax

Top notch systems you have there lads. Wish i found this thread earlier.

Was your 1000 watt PSU letting you down Flaccus? You might recognize the middle monitor ;)

Room10.jpg

Heres my current setup anyway. May have to trade the Nvidia surround in for a single monitor to get productivity levels back to what they were. Maybe a U3011 if its not too expensive.

1kw wasn't enough to run my rig with both 5970 4gig cards and cpu at 4.2ghz maxed out. Sapphire recommended a 1200watter and the AX1200 can peak around 1500w. Apparently these uber 4gig 5970's use more juice then gtx 480's which is scary. Quietish though.

I like those screens :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Carne

1kw+ holy jeazus! I'd love to see your power bill :D

Advertisement