Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Flaccus wrote: »
    Changed around my GPU's, added an Asus Essence STX, and moved my SSD's.
    Getting there. Just need to finish my sidepanel fan mod and I'll be happy.

... For about a month, until something even newer and more shiny comes along :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I demand a dedicated Flaccus thread, just so the rest of us don't feel so bad/poor/dumb looking through this thread

I use to feel poor looking at his pics but I've since realised that he's clearly a billionaire so I don't worry as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

billionaire ? I wish. even thousandaire :D

I tried watercooling some time ago and found while it had it's benefits it was a hassle as I change stuff so much. However I'm happy with what i have now. Kind of. Once my 250mm fan arrives I will be done. I'm also considering moving from my Asus Essence STX to onboard sound so I can accomodate a 3rd 580. Need to see some benches 1st. It would be possible to still use the Asus soundcard and run tri sli but it means running all the gpu's at 8x then. Alternatively if I changed case to something with a 9th pci-e slot, I could run 1 580 in the top slot, and the remaining 2 in the bottom slots, leaving room for soundcard where it is currently. Means using multiple sli bridges though. Decisions..decisions.

marco_polo wrote: »
    ... For about a month, until something even newer and more shiny comes along :p

Won't be going back to ATI. I have issues with their drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Watercool your GPUs - yes you have to change things, but really, what the frak will max out three 580s? - and that'd give you plenty of slots to play with for your audio card. From someone who went from onboard to an X-Fi Xtremegamer, a sound card is something I just can't do without anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

@Flaccus : Oh how I'd love your setup ! :o:D

I do however have 1 GTX580 coming at christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Very neat and tidy Flaccus :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 nvus

Found your next project Flaccus ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

That is epic!!

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/4345/85821963.jpg

mine anyway, with zero cable management. and yes, that is a IDE cable going to the DVD writer.

EDIT: WOW, does anyone know how to resize an image in vBulletin?
    EDIT 2: just put it as a thumbnail. click at your own risk.

85821963.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Tea_Bag wrote: »

Mmm I love digestive caramels.

Just waiting on my 3rd EVGA GTX 580. I had a Zotac one but couldn't stand having 2 EVGA's and a Zotac in the same case as it would screw up the colour scheme. Also waiting on my 250mm white led fan. Have just made a big hole in the side panel in anticipation of this fan. Should be here Monday/Tuesday along with the card. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Elite_Etnisa

Just waiting on my 3rd EVGA GTX 580. I had a Zotac one but couldn't stand having 2 EVGA's and a Zotac in the same case as it would screw up the colour scheme. Also waiting on my 250mm white led fan. Have just made a big hole in the side panel in anticipation of this fan. Should be here Monday/Tuesday along with the card. :D

Just a little questions what the hell do you use your computer for. Are you gonna challenge nasa or what. Dont tell me graphics because its still a huge waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 eldo123

New to the forum dont no if i did this right-- I7-2.80 oced to 3.19 water cooled ----Nvida X58 LE board water cooled north and south ----12gig corsair dominator tri channel memory--X2 GTX 285s water cooled --Corsair 600 case---1200 watt kingwin--akasa fan controler-- X5Pc duel reservoir,Im not the best at building but im enjoying it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

nvus wrote: »
    Found your next project Flaccus ;)

i want one now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

eldo123 wrote: »
    New to the forum dont no if i did this right-- I7-2.80 oced to 3.19 water cooled ----Nvida X58 LE board water cooled north and south ----12gig corsair dominator tri channel memory--X2 GTX 285s water cooled --Corsair 600 case---1200 watt kingwin--akasa fan controler-- X5Pc duel reservoir,Im not the best at building but im enjoying it:)

second pic is beatiful!!!!!

man one day i am so gonna do some watercooling!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

seraphimvc wrote: »
    second pic is beatiful!!!!!

man one day i am so gonna do some watercooling!!

Have to aggree with you there, from seeing that pic I bought some watercooling kit on impulse :), now i have it just have to figure out how to set it up :P

Very nice. I should have watercooled my 800D too but I change things around so much it was unfeasable. Plus I have "issues" with watecooling which left some scars :(

Anyway, I tried a 3rd EVGA 580 and it's a no go so a friend has it now. As I suspected after reading up on HardOCP but not taking notice, the 3rd gpu in the middle, starves the top 2 for airflow. Hence fans go from 40% idle in SLI to almost 60% in 3 way and can hit 80% in gaming which is unnacceptable noise wise.

At least I get to fit my 250mm sidefan today. Should be arriving very shortly.

Very nice. I should have watercooled my 800D too but I change things around so much it was unfeasable. Plus I have "issues" with watecooling which left some scars :(

Anyway, I tried a 3rd EVGA 580 and it's a no go so a friend has it now. As I suspected after reading up on HardOCP but not taking notice, the 3rd gpu in the middle, starves the top 2 for airflow. Hence fans go from 40% idle in SLI to almost 60% in 3 way and can hit 80% in gaming which is unnacceptable noise wise.

At least I get to fit my 250mm sidefan today. Should be arriving very shortly.

Yours would look cool if watercooled but think would be only a matter of time until something went boom with you moving/replacing stuff so often, would be likely to spring a leak.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

That's exactly the point - a well-built WC system should not just "go boom". A good one has very durable hoses, some pretty serious hose-clamps (used in plumbing!) and/or onion nuts to keep the hoses sealed airtight against the barbs, and fixings durable enough to retain hose placement and pump/res/rad position during moves and maintenance.

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    That's exactly the point - a well-built WC system should not just "go boom". A good one has very durable hoses, some pretty serious hose-clamps (used in plumbing!) and/or onion nuts to keep the hoses sealed airtight against the barbs, and fixings durable enough to retain hose placement and pump/res/rad position during moves and maintenance.

Where can you get decent hoses, stuff i got with my bits seems like is not the best. I presumed constantly removing the pipes to replace cards with newer ones etc would effect the tubings strength.

Only if you brute-force it and fairly rip the GPU coolers off, which wouldn't be nice for the waterblocks(or old cards) either! :o

IIRC there are three main tubing types, can't remember the materials but one (PVC?) is cheap and tough but rigid and prone to kinking, one (silicone) is cheap, flexible and kink-resistant but not very durable, and the last is durable and kink-resistant but expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

deceit wrote: »
    Where can you get decent hoses, stuff i got with my bits seems like is not the best. I presumed constantly removing the pipes to replace cards with newer ones etc would effect the tubings strength.

Tygon is regarded as one off the best to get.Great for tight bends without kinking but not cheap though.

Masterkleer is good and cheap.

I am using XSPC and think its ok.

Places i use for WC gear are,
    Aquatuning.co.uk,chilledpc.co.uk and specialtech.co.uk
    I have had issue with specialtech so be weary of them.

As for removing hose from barbs/compressions i would cut the end off as the hose will have been streched.

Solitaire wrote: »

Problem is I'd want to change it every couple of months :D

Anyhow, I finally got my 250mm fan mod done so I can cool them gtx 580's properly. Have the 2 corsair white led 200mm fans, and the side white led 250mm fan all hooked into the onboard fan controller and very quiet indeed and massive airflow when dialled up. My gpu's were idling at 38 and 33. They now idle at 33 and 30. And I've run Heaven a few times with the fan up and I have not seen them them go over 72. This is at 900mhz core and using the default auto fan profile (i only use this for benching, 830 for gaming, and stock for day to day). Previously I was hitting 86+. A side effect of this sidefan is the southbridge is running about 10 degrees cooler and the front fan I have rigged to blow air into the case depending on sb temps now stays around 900rpm. Before it would get up to 1400rpm. H70 is still push/pull as an intake so may reverse that so it outtakes now. After that, will do some proper benchmarks. 3 way SLI was a bust. GPU's went mad and stayed at around 60% fan speed all the time and 80% when gaming. Noise when gaming was unbearable. Oh..I also added a 2nd optical (Pioneer 12x BDRE) and a 40mm Noiseblocker super quiet fan for the northbridge. No more nails pads are great :)

dscn06860.jpg

dscn0692f.jpg

Jebus Flac can't you resize those monsters?!? :eek::p
    3 way SLI was a bust. GPU's went mad and stayed at around 60% fan speed all the time and 80% when gaming. Noise when gaming was unbearable.

That's the problem with high-end 3- and 4-card systems; no OEM will put a crossflow cooler or similar on the cards so they all choke on each other's PCBs! :rolleyes::o As a result the only practical way to fit that third card is to go water or create some other esoteric fan mod to let them breathe :o:o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Finally finished my computer. I've had it up and running for a while, just not with all the parts I wanted. :)

Phenom II X4 955
    Asus M4A77T/USB3
    2x2GB Ripjaws CL7 1600
    30GB OCZ Vertex
    1TB Spinpoint F3
    HAF 922
    Sapphire 6870
    Corsair TX650W

24' Samsung Syncmaster P2450H
    19' LG Flatron something
    Logitech X240 2.1 speakers
    Logitech G15 keyboard
    Razer Salmosa asian version.

Don't have pics yet, but I will try and get some.

deconduo wrote: »
    Finally finished my computer. I've had it up and running for a while, just not with all the parts I wanted. :)

Phenom II X4 955
    Asus M4A77T/USB3
    2x2GB Ripjaws CL7 1600
    30GB OCZ Vertex
    1TB Spinpoint F3
    HAF 922
    Sapphire 6870
    Corsair TX650W

24' Samsung Syncmaster P2450H
    19' LG Flatron something
    Logitech X240 2.1 speakers
    Logitech G15 keyboard
    Razer Salmosa asian version.

Don't have pics yet, but I will try and get some.
    nice rig, how much did it set you back?

what are those x240 speakers like?

game4it70 wrote: »
    Tygon is regarded as one off the best to get.Great for tight bends without kinking but not cheap though.

Masterkleer is good and cheap.

I am using XSPC and think its ok.

Places i use for WC gear are,
    Aquatuning.co.uk,chilledpc.co.uk and specialtech.co.uk
    I have had issue with specialtech so be weary of them.

As for removing hose from barbs/compressions i would cut the end off as the hose will have been streched.
    Thanks for the info and sites, will order 10 foot of xspc and tygon, first one too experiment with while trying watercooling on crappys systems then switch when comfortable with putting it on something better :).

Flaccus as usual your pc is mint and that fan looks oem, really professional job done there :D, even them yellow fans are growing on me :), might get some for my h70 and my wc rad :), you got a link to them? Only thing that makes it not perfect is that big empty gap where the hd tray should be, I know its removed for airflow though :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    nice rig, how much did it set you back?

what are those x240 speakers like?

Just over 900 altogether. The speakers, keyboard, LG monitor are from adverts. The speakers are actually pretty awesome, really nice bass from them and decent power. If you are looking for a cheap set I'd recommend them.

• Advertisement

deceit wrote: »
    Thanks for the info and sites, will order 10 foot of xspc and tygon, first one too experiment with while trying watercooling on crappys systems then switch when comfortable with putting it on something better :).

Flaccus as usual your pc is mint and that fan looks oem, really professional job done there :D, even them yellow fans are growing on me :), might get some for my h70 and my wc rad :), you got a link to them? Only thing that makes it not perfect is that big empty gap where the hd tray should be, I know its removed for airflow though :)

I will probably put the drive cage back as I don't need the airflow now with the sidefan. But probably not much point in putting it back yet as I have no drives to install there :) You can buy those viper fans from www.overclockers.co.uk or www.caseking.de (though shipping is steep). Failing that I've bought from this user with no issues
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Akasa-AK-FN059-120mm-Viper-S-Flow-Case-Fan-/300497165804?pt=Computing_ComputerComponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR&hash=item45f706ddec

The main reason for getting the vipers is they are almost silent below 1k rpm and even at 1900rpm you just hear airflow, although you can get a little buzzing depending on the frequency of your pwm circuit on your motherboard (can be adjusted with speedfan anyway to remove ticking). That's when using a 4pin connection. Also works of a standard 3pin connection on motherboard and fan controller, though some fan controllers give unpredictable results with pwm fans. They also have the highest static pressure of any non-delta fan I have come across. Was thinking of putting 2 of them in the top of my case to improve exhaust but that would diminsh the white led look I have going on. For now I will probably just reverse my H70 so it's exhausting since I have enough intake.

Advertisement