Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Baza210 wrote: »
    FjCTLh.jpg

Slight problem. The two Dell monitors are VGA. So I got VGA to DVI converters for them. Turns out only the DVI-D port on my GPU can do VGA to DVI and not the second, DVI-I. My main monitor is on a DVI to Displayport adaptor.

I guess I'll try putting the LG on the DVI-I, and one of the VGAs through DVI to DP. Not sure if it will work though.

Edit: nope, neither of my DVI adaptors fit into the DP adaptor... the difference being one is DVI-I and one is DVI-D I suppose.
    Nice things that the speakers are on, where'd you get them?

Why do those Dell monitors look stolen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Nice things that the speakers are on, where'd you get them?

I made them out of wood from the top shelf unit from an old desk plus some electrical tape.

Why do those Dell monitors look stolen?
    They're from a decommissioned computer lab and were being thrown away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Baza210 wrote: »

Slight problem. The two Dell monitors are VGA. So I got VGA to DVI converters for them. Turns out only the DVI-D port on my GPU can do VGA to DVI and not the second, DVI-I. My main monitor is on a DVI to Displayport adaptor.

I guess I'll try putting the LG on the DVI-I, and one of the VGAs through DVI to DP. Not sure if it will work though.

Edit: nope, neither of my DVI adaptors fit into the DP adaptor... the difference being one is DVI-I and one is DVI-D I suppose.

Hi,

Can't find prev post re. what Gfx card, but if it is 58xx/68xx with 2 no. DVI& Displayport/mini display port:

DVI-D > VGA monitor 01.

DVI-I > DVI monitor.

Displayport > VGA adapter.

You'll get one here for 27 euro's. Works fine for me on a similar setup on a 5870 & current 6970.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Yes-I assumed you were trying for eyefinity. I used the exact adapter in the link & it works fine.

Turns out eyefinity works fully on my card if:

6970 DVI (upper one): DVI/VGA adapter > VGA lead > Monitor 01 @ 1680 x 1050.
    6970 DVI (lower one): DVI lead > Monitor 02 @ 1680 x 1050.

6970 mini DisplayPort (furthest from DVI's): mini DisplayPort/DisplayPort female lead > StarTech DP2VGA DisplayPort to VGA adapter > VGA lead > Monitor 03 @ 1680 x 1050.

I don't think you need a need mini DisplayPort/DisplayPort lead though-think tyour card has a standard Display port.

Hope this helps.

PS did you check res' are compatible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

1.png
    2.png
    3.png
    4.png

Damn you camera for making it look messy! I *sware* it isn't like that in person ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

1. I see a PowerMac in there.
    2. I see no self-built PC in there.
    3. I see something that looks like a MacBook Air in there as well.

So... can I be the first (of many) to cordially tell you to GTFO? :pac:

Solitaire wrote: »
    1. I see a PowerMac in there.
    2. I see no self-built PC in there.
    3. I see something that looks like a MacBook Air in there as well.

So... can I be the first (of many) to cordially tell you to GTFO? :pac:

Alienware make sexy cases; what's wrong with using one?

Find me a better laptop for my needs. (My needs are of course being able to look like a hipster while reading pitchfork in a coffee shop ;) )

The mac was left redundant at someone's work, I'm currently using it as a paperweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Find me a better laptop for my needs. (My needs are of course being able to look like a hipster while reading pitchfork in a coffee shop ;) )

The mac was left redundant at someone's work, I'm currently using it as a paperweight.

I think he was refering to posting this picture in the PC Building and Upgrading forum as it doesnt really belong as you didnt build your own pc.

"Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion" I reused an alienware case, and posted a picture of my main pc. Gloriously friendly people here.

• Advertisement

I just think they're fugly :p

Must admit Windows and Linux need smexier laptops. Generally though... goddamn hipsters *shakes fist*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Must admit Windows and Linux need smexier laptops. Generally though... goddamn hipsters *shakes fist*

U MAD BRO!?

papu wrote: »

Definitely wins with coolness, and apple don't get paid :pac:

Love all the hate from the Alienware Dell fanbois :pac:

I think we be getting a bit too far offtopic now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

papu wrote: »
    meh.

I was actually hoping for something revolutionary after all razers PR and stuff, not an extremely expensive mid level gaming notebook with a nice keyboard.

that said, I'd take it over a Mac any day.

What were you expecting from a (rather portly) thinbook? Its a miracle they wedged a GPU in there! :p

Also note that this is NOT the chat or Hardware Discussion thread and I will be horripilating any more offtopic chat here.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

All my bits of junk whic I stuck together. I think I will glue the bits to a boars and hang it on the wall as art!

DSC00420.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

bette wrote: »
    All my bits of junk whic I stuck together. I think I will glue the bits to a boars and hang it on the wall as art!

DSC00420.jpg

Thats class.... looks like HWVS vomited up all there auld and mouldy stuff and all the parts landed in the right spot:)

It works! The cd cover and booklet raise the MB up a bit and there's less of a hum off the fans. It's a dreadful mess but it's great fun at the same time. I sort out the PWR switch with a phase tester to get it running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

2011-10-20%2021.58.30.jpg
    2011-10-20%2021.56.36.jpg

i2500k Cruising along at 4.0Ghz Cooled by a Thermalright IFX-14
    4gigs Corsair DDR3 PC1600
    ASRock P67 Pro3
    Radeon 4870HD ( Gonna Upgrade this for Skyrim)
    X-Fi XtremeMusic
    3X1TB Samsungs and 1X250Gig

CM Stacker + Aerocool Fans + Blue and Uv Neons , Custom Window Mod
    samsung 22" Monitor , Razer lachesis Mouse , and a Saitek eclipse keyboard

• Advertisement

I think I will glue the bits to a boars and hang it on the wall as art!

Meh. Its been done :p

Meh. Its been done :p

Photo or it's not true! meh

I'd have put it in my post if I could find it that easily! :p Its in this thread somewhere...

EDIT: 11.17.10%20wall%20pc.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There are several examples if you're bothered to search.

I'd have put it in my post if I could find it that easily! :p Its in this thread somewhere...

EDIT: 11.17.10%20wall%20pc.JPG

Nice work! How did you mount the parts? Screw or glue? Is that graphic card flat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Nice work! How did you mount the parts? Screw or glue? Is that graphic card flat?

watercooling would make that kit look CLASS..

dwighet wrote: »
    watercooling would make that kit look CLASS..

I don't think so. I fancy a vulgar collection of bit and pieces stuck on a board. This setup is very nice but I fancy something more higgly piggly. It's a fun project and my other machines are in proper cases with reasonably neat cable management.

My thing is a collection of bits taken from older machines which were upgraded so it's a low cost yoke. Now if you had an old watercooler...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

DSCF2216.jpg

DSCF2210.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

titan18 wrote: »
    [IMG][/img]

lovely set up! very very similar to my own. :)

I was wondering what kind of fps youre getting in games in eyefinity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    lovely set up! very very similar to my own. :)

I was wondering what kind of fps youre getting in games in eyefinity?

I can run BF2:Bad Company 2 with everything set to high, 16x AA on a resolution of about 6040 x 1080 with no heavy drop in fps. Same with Just Cause 2 on high settings.

After testing it, there's a drop of fps down to an average of 45 on the opening sequence of BF2:Bad Company 2, which isn't bad. Was constant 60 at 1920 x 1080

Advertisement