Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

oh didn't know that the 6950 used that heatsink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

allen175 wrote: »
    oh didn't know that the 6950 used that heatsink.

Yeah it's the 2GB directcuII version, Amazing heatsink. graphics card is silent even at load.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

yeah its good, nice and cool, but i do find it to be abit loud under load, not as loud as my old gtx260.

allen175 wrote: »
    yeah its good, nice and cool, but i do find it to be abit loud under load, not as loud as my old gtx260.

I was shocked out quiet this thing was, Coming from two gtx 470's that was going to happen no matter what card i got.

But the fans don't get any louder with load. I haven't overclocked it at all, even though it's really designed for it.

Might give it a shot now, but going to upgrade to a 7970 in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I've always wanted to know what the story is with reviewers. do they ship you that stuff for free, then you return it after a few weeks?

if you give a negative review, do they get angry and not ship you more stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I've always wanted to know what the story is with reviewers. do they ship you that stuff for free, then you return it after a few weeks?

More importantly how do you become a reviewer!

Depends on the company.

The processor i have at the moment came from Intel and i will have to send it back, Which it will be replaced by a 3930K for my use(Also review)

I bought the motherboard myself as I was upgrading anyway.

I do all the reviewing for my site geektech.ie and generally the best way to become a reviewer is to review things and keep reviewing things and to have a steady place to put those reviews.

The more stuff you review in any given category the more hits your site makes and thus the easy it is to get products to review.

and do Intel contract you or the other way around?

and do Intel contract you or the other way around?

I contacted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Heres my new PC.

http://i.imgur.com/Z1Udc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zj9Xu.jpg

I added a SSD since I took the photo aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Pangea wrote: »
    Heres my new PC.

Please take that plastic cover off ;)
    I don't understand why people leave them on.

Please take that plastic cover off ;)
    I don't understand why people leave them on.

lol I suppose I should :D
    I just kept it on to avoid any bumps and scrapes to the front in the first few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Heres my new PC.

What a mess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

Heres my new PC.

ohh dear god! someone nicked your gpu mate! =P
    J\K I know we're all not gamers here but it's still weird looking at a custom machine without one, what are the full specs there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

New build finished (for now :P)

DSCF4132.jpg

Specs
    i7 3820 @3.6
    Asus Rampage Formula iv
    16gb Corsair Vengeance 1866
    Gainward Gtx 580 Phantom
    Corsair Force Series 3 120GB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

That looks awesome.
    So neat and tidy, and I like the red and black colour scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Nice rig Grim, always had a softspot for those Phantoms, how quiet/noisy are they while gaming?

Looks badass Grim, Going for the black/red theme myself, Asus made a nice choice using red/black as there colour scheme and it makes the overall theme of a case nice.

The only issue I'm having is the Noctua fans i have, They kinda ruin the theme. Going to have to change them.

Anyone any recommendations for decent fans that are either full black or black/dark red

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

There's Phobya's Nano-G fans, Cooler Master's SickleFlows and Enermax Magmas (was looking at this myself at one point). That's about all the comes to mind. If you want plain black, there's Akasa's Apache fans. I'm using them at the moment.

You could add Noiseblocker fans to that list also, never used them myself but they are highly regarded, supposed to be very quiet too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Grim. are those "phantom" GPUs are with no fans? i have seen some gtx570 phantom too.

Grim. are those "phantom" GPUs are with no fans? i have seen some gtx570 phantom too.

They have 3 fans under the shroud as far as I can remember. There's a 3GB version of a GTX580 which was on my most wanted list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Three 80mm fans? Well that thing's going to be whisper quiet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

re the Phantom its very quiet at idle and much quieter at load than a stock nvidia fan, cooling wise its very good idling at 28c and load average of about 60/65c in a case with pretty bad airflow (at least the way i have it set up)

edit: just thought i'd add I've had the card for about 6 months i would have gone for the 7970 if buying now the upgrades for this build were the mobo, ram, cpu and ssd

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Serephucus wrote: »
    There's Phobya's Nano-G fans, Cooler Master's SickleFlows and Enermax Magmas (was looking at this myself at one point). That's about all the comes to mind. If you want plain black, there's Akasa's Apache fans. I'm using them at the moment.

+1 for the magmas. excellent fans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

No where near as tidy as the previous rig but as previous pics show its going through a transformation. The amd raystorm bracket is on order, next will be the gpu's, waterblocks for gpu's, motherboard block, two d5 pumps and a drive bay res. The board is a crosshair V and the cpu is an 8150.
    IMG_0906.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

Grim. wrote: »
    New build finished (for now :P)

DSCF4132.jpg

Specs
    i7 3820 @3.6
    Asus Rampage Formula iv
    16gb Corsair Vengeance 1866
    Gainward Gtx 580 Phantom
    Corsair Force Series 3 120GB

what case is that mate?

looks like a Corsair 800D

• Advertisement

ohh dear god! someone nicked your gpu mate! =P
    J\K I know we're all not gamers here but it's still weird looking at a custom machine without one, what are the full specs there?

lol Integrated Graphics will do the job for me. I don't do gaming on PC's.

Heres the specs
    LiteOn iHAS122-18 schwarz SATA
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ)
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse DEFINE R3 Black Pearl
    Ultron Cardreader 75-in-1, intern, schwarz
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX
    Super-Flower SF450P14XE Golden Green Pro 80plus gold

twinsen wrote: »
    What a mess :)
    I suppose it is, I never noticed. I didn't build it but I might tidy it up if I can get the wires hidden easily.

Advertisement