Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

I settled for an OC of 4.5Ghs after looking at all the different forums and boards out there. It seems if your getting 4.6Ghz with a lower vCore than 1.35v your doing well.

My idle temps are between 28°C and 30°C depending on room temp.

20 passes of IBT on maximum peaked at 58°C but averaged about 56°C.
    24 hours of small FFT's on P95 peaked at 50°C.
    24 hours of blend on P95 peaked at 48°C.

Room temp is always about 23°C except during the 24 hour tests where it felt like it was closer to 30°C when i got in from work in the mornings.

I have one bracket at the top and two at the bottom. The side panel doesn't flex at all. The weakest parts are the Meccano brackets so I will swap them out at some stage because I reckon over time they will start flexing a lot more. The cables on the Akasa Apache fans seem a lot shorter than any other fans I've seen so they wouldn't reach around the back. I actually drilled the side panel itself and fed them through there and even at that they wouldn't have reached anywhere near the fan connectors on the board so i had to feed my fan controller cables to them.

I'll get some more pictures up for you if you want and I'll work out the final costs and post it. I wouldn't recommend the Primochill Myriad Res. I had to assemble it from scratch myself and they didn't include any instructions with it. After searching the net i eventually found some online and it turned out i had parts that weren't even needed in the assembly. It also doesn't fit into the 600t toolless 5.25" bays to well so that needed a bit of modding/ adjusting!! For £50 sterling i would have expected them to at least assemble it!!

Edit: The tubing fit through the grommets for me without any major issue. I just had to take it easy because at first the grommets were coming out with the tubing and they weren't too easy to get back in!! Total cost for me was about €450. It ended up being a bit more that i hoped because i had to order the Rad from WCUK and the rest from SpecialTech so i ended up paying double the postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

yea every pic and bit of info helps. what kind of support did you put on the inside of the panel?

All I used for support on the inside of the panel was more Meccano. You can see the triangular pieces on the second pic below. I just used them to spread out the load of the screws but i probably would have got away without them. The CD folder you can see in the background sits under the rad as a temporary support until i get a chance to add some feet. Again I don't think it's needed but better safe than sorry. On the second Pic you can see where I brought the fan cables through the panel (excuse the birds nest!!). I need to file the edges of the hole with a dremel which I can't get my hands on at the moment so I'm using a bit of tubing to protect the cables from sharp edges. The tape is just holding the tubing in place.

6844584118_5161357a7f_z.jpg

6990711635_04dce47393_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

That is one crazy big-ass rad.

If your liquidating both a GPU and a CPU do you really need such a huge rad?

I'd love to do a nice watercooled build someday but if I had to either have a massive case like deceits 800D or a massive exterior rad I'm not sure I'd like it.
    I mean, I love the look of a watercooled build and Neilos first pic looks class but personally I think the big exterior rads kinda subtract from the look of the build and I doubt it's very portable like that either :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You certainly can cool a GPU and CPU on something like a 360 internal rad, but you're going to need decent fans for it. With my old setup, I had to have three 1200RPM fans running to cool things properly, which for me was just way too loud. With the rad above, I only have to have the fans running at about 500RPM, and even then, I could probably just leave them off entirely; it doesn't affect temps that much.

Because of that, the loudest thing in my rig at the moment are my mechanical drives.

• Advertisement

To be honest it was never going to be portable even without the Rad. The 600t is a big enough case. I have no need to transport it anyway but if I did I'd be emptying it first and once I do that I can easily detach the Rad.

The best thing about a Rad that size is the fact that I hardly have the fans spinning at all. The loudest thing in the case at the minute is the pump and that's only because I have it turned up to help clear out the tiny air bubbles that seem to stick in the most awkard places. Once I turn it to the setting I intend having it at long term I can just about hear the PSU fan (at a struggle).

And finally fluffy despite what you may have heard.... Bigger is always better!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Serephucus wrote: »
    You certainly can cool a GPU and CPU on something like a 360 internal rad, but you're going to need decent fans for it. With my old setup, I had to have three 1200RPM fans running to cool things properly, which for me was just way too loud. With the rad above, I only have to have the fans running at about 500RPM, and even then, I could probably just leave them off entirely; it doesn't affect temps that much.

Because of that, the loudest thing in my rig at the moment are my mechanical drives.
    With sandybridge cpu's a 360mm thick rad with fans on low (500rpm) and a 240mm rad, it could easily cool two gpu's, motherboard and cpu as the cpu runs alot cooler. (Both of these will fit in an 800d)
    I'm like you though I like excess, I have a total of 1200mm of 60mm thick cooling so no matter what I put in my rig its going to cool it.
    If you go sandybridge e, bulldozer or the original I7 its a different story though as they run much hotter and too cool all that you would need a minimum of two 360mm thick rads.

Um, I had two 580s and my 950 on a 360 rad. They got cooled fine.

As I say, it's the noise that swings it. A 360 rad can cool a lot. It just depends what you're willing to put up with in terms of fan/air noise.

Um, I had two 580s and my 950 on a 360 rad. They got cooled fine.

As I say, it's the noise that swings it. A 360 rad can cool a lot. It just depends what you're willing to put up with in terms of fan/air noise.

Thats what i mean, if you want it quiet you need what I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    what temps are you getting? is that still the 1090T?

No its an i5 2500k @ 4.8ghz. I get low 60s for an hour on prime95, idle mid-high 20s.

Graphics cards idle at mid 20s, load mid 40s to low 50s depending on the benchmark.
    Gaming mid 40s load with 1270 core 1775 memory.

• Advertisement

How the hell do you have that much tubing in a single loop?! What's your loop layout?

It's not just for looks; removing the bunch of cables will help with airflow in your case. The same can be said for the tubing, as well as increasing flow rates in your pump.

I wanted to use all the tubing I had! :p

Think its Rez,cpu,Rad,GPU.Rez

The fans for me are fine. TBH the coil whine when you have 7970s heavily overclocked are the thing you hear the most. BZZZZZZZZZZ

The goal when creating a watercooling loop is to use as little tubing as possible!

Doesn't matter that much, just something to remember next time you pull the loop apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

CS Hasuki wrote: »
    I wanted to use all the tubing I had! :p

Think its Rez,cpu,Rad,GPU.Rez

The fans for me are fine. TBH the coil whine when you have 7970s heavily overclocked are the thing you hear the most. BZZZZZZZZZZ

What do you have the 7970's clocked at? I had cap/coil whine on a few games, pain in the arse.. Also found that forcing vsync on cured it on some games-e.g. crysis 2. If you're running a 60Hz monitor no point having it off anyway.

1270/1775. Gaming not so bad as I always have v sync on as you mentioned.

If I leave at stock volts and just oc with that is more or less silent.

So if high clocks and volts but low load its ok, as most games barely go above 40% usage on each gpu.(games)
    Stock volts, little oc and heavy load is ok.
    High clocks and volts and heavy load is where it gets screechy!(benchmarks)

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Ditched my Cooler Master Elite 430 and got a Corsair 600T. Gone are the days of having to take out half the wires in my system every time I wanted to remove a drive :D

6862574740_f4619ba53f_c.jpg
    415417_408394512509234_100000160676979_1693024_770009970_o by YouCantCountOnMe, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Who needs widescreen? :P

qFqwB.jpg

One more sale to make and then I'll be ordering the Catleap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Brian wrote: »
    Who needs widescreen? :P
    *image snip*
    One more sale to make and then I'll be ordering the Catleap.

I've got the exact same headphones as you! AD700 and HD668B!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Ah, but are your AD700s sprayed black with a Modmic attached? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Brian wrote: »
    Ah, but are your AD700s sprayed black with a Modmic attached? ;)

Not yet, but maybe someday when I am no longer afraid to break them(i.e. if I ever upgrade).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

1440p will look so badass after using that little thing.

• Advertisement

Got my sleeving at last!

IMG_1487.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

Now all I need is the bloody PSU..

Just a small update again. I added one of the 7970's I planned on getting. I will order the waterblock if specialtech ever gets the crosshair v acetel copper block in so can order them and a few other bits together. I'm not sure if the 8150 is going to bottleneck the two cards though. Its overclocked to 5ghz and they will hopefully be on 16x lanes.
    I've also finally added the 3rd 28" screen for proper eyefinity (will put it all on a 3 screen bracket which is why I havent replaced the left stand yet) My 24" screen will go above them for webpages such as origins etc.

IMG_0918.jpg
    IMG_0919.jpg
    IMG_0923.jpg
    IMG_0920.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

wait, deceit is left handed? eeewwwwwwwwwwww
    LOL jk man it's just abit weird seeing your mice on the right side of the keyboard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

deceit wrote: »
    Just a small update again. I added one of the 7970's I planned on getting. I will order the waterblock if specialtech ever gets the crosshair v acetel copper block in so can order them and a few other bits together. I'm not sure if the 8150 is going to bottleneck the two cards though. Its overclocked to 5ghz and they will hopefully be on 16x lanes.
    I've also finally added the 3rd 28" screen for proper eyefinity (will put it all on a 3 screen bracket which is why I havent replaced the left stand yet) My 24" screen will go above them for webpages such as origins etc.

Jesus, how many monitors have you got along with the tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

deceit wrote: »

Is that a 1500W PSU box? What could you possibly do with 1500W? :D

Yea i'm a leftie and proud of it :D.
    I've 6 screens in the room at the moment. I wanted another eyefinity build for my workstation with 24" screens but i've no space. If I dont use that 24" screen as the 4th screen for this pc I might see can I get brackets above the 28" screens and put 3 24" screens up there so I can use them for programming/webdesign, monitoring my vm's, if I do though with the cost of that bracket would mean putting off the watercooling and other gpu's for a couple of months.
    Yea its a 1500 watt psu :). With the eventual expansion of the pc to an sr-x, 3 7970's and two powerfull/overclocked xeons (will be a while before can justify the xeons/sr-x but do plan on picking it up maybe 6 months to a year after release) it makes sense to pick up a 1500 watt psu.
    I'm just lucky my gf lets me have my hobbies :P

Give me a heads up if you're looking for two more 7970's, might be selling mine & going for 680's instead if you're interested.

glynf wrote: »
    Give me a heads up if you're looking for two more 7970's, might be selling mine & going for 680's instead if you're interested.

Cool will let you know, are they reference cards?

They are indeed, I'll let you know if I go for the 680's, money being the limiting factor atm.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

glynf wrote: »
    They are indeed, I'll let you know if I go for the 680's, money being the limiting factor atm.:)

how much you would be looking for 7970? i am between 680 and 7970 myself, getting ready for 3 monitor setup :D

Advertisement