Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

I think it does both, the noctua one I believe.

If you have one on either side of the cooler you have a push pull setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

943CF1E982054BF28031C5AFAAB3E4FD-0000316615-0002828133-00640L-0EF284A4AF9C49B58896950201A64B1F.jpg

47CC421C940545C5B7A735238BD94D4D-0000316615-0002828131-00640L-30ACD51449E548829AA0339C539E0786.jpg

33639FF938F74FA09A8EB1D53CB58BAE-0000316615-0002828130-00640L-B4F42773E8BF4624AE4E50EA192006C6.jpg

i5 2500K w/CM Hyper 212+ in Push/Pull
    Asrock P67 Pro3. Have also broken out the on-board COM port to a backing plate.
    Usual 8GB G-Skill
    XFX HD6870
    64gb M4
    1TB Samsung HDD

24" BENQ G2420HD in Landscape and an old 20" LG in Portrait.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Nice, especially the wall mounts. What's that keyboard, out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Serephucus wrote: »
    Nice, especially the wall mounts. What's that keyboard, out of curiosity?

Looks like the Microsoft SideWinder X4.

Thanks. It's a Sidewinder X4.

Those mounts were dead cheap too. These ones except maybe not from that exact seller. Very well made for the price. There is no rotate but I have bought one of these bearings and am going to attempt to DIY rotation for the 20". Thinking Arm->Timber->Bearing->Timber->Monitor should work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Redisle wrote: »
    Thanks. It's a Sidewinder X4.

Those mounts were dead cheap too. These ones except maybe not from that exact seller. Very well made for the price. There is no rotate but I have bought one of these bearings and am going to attempt to DIY rotation for the 20". Thinking Arm->Timber->Bearing->Timber->Monitor should work.

If the bearings are very free gravity will play havoc with the adjustment. Two bits of wood with a bolt and nylock nut with 2 mudgard washers would be better as you can adjust the friction and should be even cheaper

Hmm. They're certainly neat alright, but if you don't get the mount placement just right...

I take it there's been no problems with it falling out of the wall under the monitor's weight or anything? I've never liked investing in those cheaper mounting solutions for fear of losing a monitor (and possibly the keyboard underneath it).

cgarrad wrote: »
    If the bearings are very free gravity will play havoc with the adjustment. Two bits of wood with a bolt and nylock nut with 2 mudgard washers would be better as you can adjust the friction and should be even cheaper

Well I was going to add a locking bolt too but that's not a bad idea either. Might look into it!
    Hmm. They're certainly neat alright, but if you don't get the mount placement just right...

I take it there's been no problems with it falling out of the wall under the monitor's weight or anything? I've never liked investing in those cheaper mounting solutions for fear of losing a monitor (and possibly the keyboard underneath it).

No these mounts are a lot stronger than the price would have you believe. They are rated for 15kg. That old 20" is significantly heavier than the more modern 24" but no problems at all. They fold right back to the wall too which is handy when the desk is needed for study.

More Pics:

C2F0366670CB4DD4847E4467603EA728-0000316615-0002828261-00640L-1016A0466403477C90A2A584AD40C034.jpg

Folded Back:
    04960172113E490B9BC101BA4D0197A3-0000316615-0002828259-00640L-05871635EF2C4F838CDE24C33F01C83F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Single GPU
    GoodOutsidePCPc-2.jpg

LowerElevationInsidePCPic.jpg

Second GPU and less fancy pictures lol

100_0233xox.jpg

And no,I can't hide the power cable,not long enough:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

That case looks a lot nicer than it did on hardwareversand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

That case looks a lot nicer than it did on hardwareversand.

lol,it looks well and does the job but cable management leaves a bit to be desired. I had to get out a pliers to hide most of mine and made the bottom false floor myself.

Still its easy to work with and has very good cooling with the 4 fans,and room for a 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Heck, you should see my cable management.
    I'd upload a picture except I'd probably be exiled from the forum afterwards :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I just taught I would upload pics of my quick attempts at cable management. The one with the scythe cooler one of the cables in the background is just another pci-e cable as I have replaced the card and I just left it handy there so I could easily pull it out again for use.
    You can also see loose wires in the little devil, I have some drives out which is why they are hanging down behind the cover, usually they are in use.
    I've just made one change to the Utgard case since them pics, I've added 3 more drives as was running a little sluggish lately so bit more cabling but its still pretty tidy.
    IMG_0937.jpg
    DSCF0367-1.jpg
    DSCF0363.jpg
    DSCF0348.jpg

Edit:
    Also Serephucus you can see in the Utgard rig you can see i'm using 1/2" tubing with 1/2" barbs without worrying about leaks and I've moved it about a lot lately.

Please do something with that 40mm fan. I'm cringing just thinking about what it sounds like next to all that high performance and quiet water cooling. ;)

Very tidy otherwise though. It's the very clean looking builds that make me want to try cable sleeving. Might give it a go with whatever my rig ends up being by September.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

spends a small fortune on rig. uses a medion monitor. ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Please do something with that 40mm fan. I'm cringing just thinking about what it sounds like next to all that high performance and quiet water cooling. ;)

Very tidy otherwise though. It's the very clean looking builds that make me want to try cable sleeving. Might give it a go with whatever my rig ends up being by September.

The 40mm fan is in audible, its turned down to 400rpm, its just there to keep air moving as this board its not designed for being overclocked 24/7 without air being pushed accross it. So I will keep it there until I watercool the board, replace the board or have fans at the bottom of the case.
    This machine has been on 24/7 for about a few months with about 30 minutes downtime. Next I need a ups for it for if power ever goes.

Tea bag just to note this computer is a server, you will notice there is no gpu in it.
    In the bottom pci-e slot is a dual gig nic as I need three gig nics for it so that monitor is not actually connected to it. I only use the monitor when I need it for laptops or need to change bios settings so it would be wasted using a decent monitor.
    I have an esx server on it, fully licensed which cost about 1k so I just control it and my vm's through esx clients or putty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

yea I saw it wasn't connected, I just wanted to take a cheap stab cause I'm not good with envy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Got my new screens today=D Again, please excuse the crap iphone camera. I keep meaning to get a decent one, but as you might have guessed, all available spare funds go on PC gear first.:)

Big, but not as big as I thought, desk will just about do!
    IMG_1822.jpg

The power bricks.
    IMG_1824.jpg

Up and running, default colour settings.
    IMG_1830.jpg

The small bezels were a big factor in choosing these screens, I'm not brave enough to start stripping the bezels-yet.

IMG_1832.jpg

Width non monitor-11mm, compared to USB.

IMG_1835.jpg

The PC running it.
    IMG_1841.jpg

So far have only played BF3 @ 5760 x 1080 high settings getting about 80 fps, no tearing whatsoever=amazing! Xfire & eyefinity are not working well with the 12.4 drivers (20fps if full screen-work s better windowed?) so back using 12.2 & CAPS for same.

The only other thing played so far is Mafia II, all settings full, FPS steady at 119, capped with MSI afterburner and it looks stunning..so smooth.

The quality of these screens is amazing, everything is so much more smooth & responsive when @ 120hz, even desktop stuff.
    I was wary of the backlight bleeding issues ans all three have slight bleeding on the left edge. This can be fixed by unscrewing an internal screw slightly apparently, as part of the casing is overtightened.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭sosmyface

Amazing! Really nice monitors. You'll need to upgrade your background to a city thats big enough to fit in there;)
    Can I ask how do you have the power leads connected? Is that 2 pin into a 3 pin socket. Im kinda running low on 2 to 3 pin adaptors now so need a way to get my new order powered up:D

I've always liked that monitor. It looks very classy. I wouldn't get it because I don't like glossy panels (I think it's glossy?) but more importantly, it can't be adjusted - I'm used to a monitor about a foot above my desk. Looks very bad-ass though, congrats.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, I'm delighted with it. Huge difference in games, thought the whole120hz thing was a bit hyped up, not so. Its proper.

@ sosmyface;

That's 2 pins into 3 pin sockets, just turn a 3 pin upside down like this:

IMG_1843.jpg
    Then stick in the 2 pin. Check that polarity doesn't matter first!

@Serephucus, I find the glossy is not an issue, no direct sunlight issues in the room though. Hear you re. the lack mounting options, there is a guy on overclock.net that stripped his and custom mounted for a 3 x 1 potrait setup. It can be done, but serious hassle (and expense).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

glynf wrote: »
    Check that polarity doesn't matter first!

Its AC, polarity cant matter.

ED E wrote: »
    Its AC, polarity cant matter.

Not so much on PC gear but can do on other applications like high end AV gear. Reversed AC polarity can cause hum & noise from your system as well as effecting it's sound. Certainly no harm checking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭sosmyface

Thanks alot glynf, I was literally looking for 3 pin computer power cables and 2->3 pin adapters when I came across that.:)
    So with my pc and monitor I can just plug 'em in safe enough?
    Best wishes with your new flashy monitors;)

sosmyface wrote: »
    Thanks alot glynf, I was literally looking for 3 pin computer power cables and 2->3 pin adapters when I came across that.:)
    So with my pc and monitor I can just plug 'em in safe enough?
    Best wishes with your new flashy monitors;)

Ty. You will be fine connecting monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

Got my new screens today=D Again, please excuse the crap iphone camera. I keep meaning to get a decent one, but as you might have guessed, all available spare funds go on PC gear first.:)

The quality of these screens is amazing, everything is so much more smooth & responsive when @ 120hz, even desktop stuff.
    I was wary of the backlight bleeding issues ans all three have slight bleeding on the left edge. This can be fixed by unscrewing an internal screw slightly apparently, as part of the casing is overtightened.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get that desk?

Got two of them off done deal for 160 last year. Grand for the money, bit scuffed though. planned to get some kind on laminate/cover for them, but got lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 GamingManiac

IMG_1830.jpg

So far have only played BF3 @ 5760 x 1080 high settings getting about 80 fps, no tearing whatsoever=amazing! Xfire & eyefinity are not working well with the 12.4 drivers (20fps if full screen-work s better windowed?) so back using 12.2 & CAPS for same.

The only other thing played so far is Mafia II, all settings full, FPS steady at 119, capped with MSI afterburner and it looks stunning..so smooth.

We have the same headphones. Now I just need to save up the money for the rest of your gear

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Dont think I've posted in here, considering I'm such a stalker of this forum :)

20120126_170133.jpg

20120126_220226.jpg

20120127_000111.jpg

20120127_000122.jpg

20120127_000135.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Looks awesome. Were did you get the desk from? It's the kinda desk I've been looking for.

Advertisement