Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Looks awesome. Were did you get the desk from? It's the kinda desk I've been looking for.

Looks like

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/S39903692/

Loads of sizes...

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Muzi5434

glynf wrote: »
    Got my new screens today=D Again, please excuse the crap iphone camera. I keep meaning to get a decent one, but as you might have guessed, all available spare funds go on PC gear first.:)

Big, but not as big as I thought, desk will just about do!
    IMG_1822.jpg

Really sweet set up :D
    Where did you get the L shaped desk from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Muzi5434 wrote: »
    glynf wrote: »

I'm on a roll here:

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/S99806947/

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Muzi5434

cgarrad wrote: »

You are hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Looks awesome. Were did you get the desk from? It's the kinda desk I've been looking for.

IKEA

Bought a table top and four legs and cut it to my own measurements. Cost about 20 quid .If youve a strong wall you can get the tabletop and some brackets :)

Just be careful. The inside is basically honeycomb ****e, so if you get legs make sure you get all the screws of them in properly if your cutting it.

Each corner has a corner cut of solid wood for leg screws, if you cut the table you might be putting screws into the papery ****e which will be no good.

Big thing was to have plenty of leg space

20120126_151611.jpg

20120126_170133.jpg

20120126_151605.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I need to get up to IKA. My current set up is not great, but it's all my wife will allow me. What I want is a man cave:D

That just wont do

You have alot of space to the right and left of that desk.

You look to also have room to come out, and your loosing comfort because of the bottom racks on that workstation.

That looks a solid wall no?

IKEA, tabletop for about 12 quid and grab yourself some heavy duty brackets from a DIY store.

IKEA also have cool cubby hole cable management. Drill bit and the little plastic things for five quid.

Youll be suprised how simple you can make your desk yet get so much more benefits. The main purpose of my change is that I wanted my mouse and keyboard flat with my monitor, had them on a drawer and it was horrid.

This is what I had, gained alot of space

2011-11-02+22.47.40.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭sosmyface

still very nice setup:space ratio :)
    there are alot of leftys here I notice!
    my order just left hardwareversand so hopefully will be able to post a pic of mine next week

Here is the pic a mate sent me that kinda spurred the idea

Hes using the full top and wall mounting brackets

IMG_20120117_200148.jpg

sosmyface wrote: »
    still very nice setup:space ratio :)
    there are alot of leftys here I notice!
    my order just left hardwareversand so hopefully will be able to post a pic of mine next week

Exactly what I went for

You can see from the old setup the doors of the wardrobe are a major issue.

So when I made the new one I cut an angle to ensure I could actually swing the door fully. This actually gained me more space funny enough.

The room is very small and I'm stuck for space, but I think I did ok.

Although I fully plan on getting the same setup, maybe using wall brackets when I've access to a bigger room.

The actual table top, is massive. I cut it in half essentially

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    That just wont do

You have alot of space to the right and left of that desk.

You look to also have room to come out, and your loosing comfort because of the bottom racks on that workstation.

That looks a solid wall no?

IKEA, tabletop for about 12 quid and grab yourself some heavy duty brackets from a DIY store.

IKEA also have cool cubby hole cable management. Drill bit and the little plastic things for five quid.

Youll be suprised how simple you can make your desk yet get so much more benefits. The main purpose of my change is that I wanted my mouse and keyboard flat with my monitor, had them on a drawer and it was horrid.

This is what I had, gained alot of space

2011-11-02+22.47.40.jpg

Wow, what a difference. Yeah, having the keyboard and mouse on the drawer is the main problem I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

cgarrad wrote: »

I cant understand how they came up with the price of that desk

Heres one of the old fella just helping me with a CPU fan. His was a bitch to get in so he offered help when I got it few months back and did turn out to be a little nightmare.

I notice from peoples pictures they have really nice cable management and some really clean looking builds, my cables are all over the shop and always cause headaches when upgrading, any tips?

2011-11-16+21.14.01.jpg

Wow, what a difference. Yeah, having the keyboard and mouse on the drawer is the main problem I have.

Looking at the pics I posted when I just build and put the thing together, makes me want to go home and clean it

In a mess now

Heres one of the old fella just helping me with a CPU fan. His was a bitch to get in so he offered help when I got it few months back and did turn out to be a little nightmare.

I notice from peoples pictures they have really nice cable management and some really clean looking builds, my cables are all over the shop and always cause headaches when upgrading, any tips?

2011-11-16+21.14.01.jpg

A good Case and modular PSU helps but, it's mainly time and effort. Here's my cable management. Could be a lot better though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Really sweet set up :D

Be sure to check out adverts, I have a similar huge L shaped desk. I got it and an office chair for 45e on there.

ruLAg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I figure its about time I show what I'm working with. No pictures of the inside of my case yet, may try do some cable management later and post a before and after picture :P

Anyway, this is just the basic set up.
    PC is on the left side of the room, then I have the HDMI wires going about 3m to the right side of the room where it connects to the 32" so I can watch movies and stuff of that.
    Also have the Xbox, PS3, and PC connected using a three way HDMI switch so I never have to swap out any wires.

wdAbh.jpg
    UgUHv.jpg
    Seems very bland compared to everyone elses :(
    It will get better in the future, plans to get two more monitors, new case, a mechanical keyboard, and thats pretty much it.

And just because I know how much everybody here LOVES COD :D
    http://i.imgur.com/t5nHt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

some more pics of mine.

imag0497t.jpg

imag0416l.jpg

imag0453k.jpg

imag0457f.jpg

imag0454t.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ConanRTTG

A good Case and modular PSU helps but, it's mainly time and effort. Here's my cable management. Could be a lot better though.

Nice setup mate. Starting my build in the R3 soon enough. Just wondering how you have those fans setup and how the airflow is? Bottom pull and rear exhaust? Do you have a fan in the side? Also what make is that led fan for the rear top? Looking sweet!

ConanRTTG wrote: »
    Nice setup mate. Starting my build in the R3 soon enough. Just wondering how you have those fans setup and how the airflow is? Bottom pull and rear exhaust? Do you have a fan in the side? Also what make is that led fan for the rear top? Looking sweet!

Thanks, I have two intake fans at the front and one at the bottom. Those 3 are Fractals http://www.quietpc.com/products/120mmfans/fd-fan-120. Then I have 2 exhaust fans. One at the back which is a Coolink http://www.quietpc.com/products/120mmfans/cl-swif2-121 and one at the top which is a AeroCool Devil Red http://www.quietpc.com/products/120mmfans/ae-shark-120-devilred. I love the white and red look of it in the dark. :)

• Advertisement

daz801 wrote: »
    some more pics of mine.

imag0497t.jpg

imag0416l.jpg

imag0453k.jpg

imag0457f.jpg

imag0454t.jpg

Nice cable management.:)

Thanks, I have two intake fans at the front and one at the bottom. Those 3 are Fractals http://www.quietpc.com/products/120mmfans/fd-fan-120. Then I have 2 exhaust fans. One at the back which is a Coolink http://www.quietpc.com/products/120mmfans/cl-swif2-121 and one at the top which is a AeroCool Devil Red http://www.quietpc.com/products/120mmfans/ae-shark-120-devilred. I love the white and red look of it in the dark. :)

It looks sweet alright! I'll probably have the curtains drawn and lights off 24/7 if I go the same route! :D What's the loudness like with that amount of fans?

ConanRTTG wrote: »
    It looks sweet alright! I'll probably have the curtains drawn and lights off 24/7 if I go the same route! :D What's the loudness like with that amount of fans?

It's not bad as far as noise goes, considering there are 7 fans in the case. I was surprised how quiet the fractal fans are. The Noctua's on the heat sink are the best though.

It's not bad as far as noise goes, considering there are 7 fans in the case. I was surprised how quiet the fractal fans are. The Noctua's on the heat sink are the best though.

I'm going with a Scythe Mugen 3 so, hopefully cooling will be about that same!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭White_Wolf

Be sure to check out adverts, I have a similar huge L shaped desk. I got it and an office chair for 45e on there.

Man you have been around forever, you still play source?

daz801

Cable management, teach me the ways

Seriously, the pics in this thread are making me want to tear mine open and just sort the cables. Its such a pain trying to organise upgrades with cables everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

daz801

Cable management, teach me the ways

Seriously, the pics in this thread are making me want to tear mine open and just sort the cables. Its such a pain trying to organise upgrades with cables everywhere.

Post some pics of the guts of your rig and we may be able to point you in the right direction

I'm probably going to take a day next week to take her apart to get the SSD issue resolved, or might actually do it tonight.

I notice that most people feed their cables around the back of their case. Looks like something I should do.

I think its just lack of patience on my part, but also have some issues with cable length I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

I'm probably going to take a day next week to take her apart to get the SSD issue resolved, or might actually do it tonight.

I notice that most people feed their cables around the back of their case. Looks like something I should do.

I think its just lack of patience on my part, but also have some issues with cable length I think

You can get longer cables handy enough....all sorts of colours..they just clip into your existing cables to make em longer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

^^beat me to it:)

The PCI cables are usually the ones that need to be extended, maybe the 8 pin EPS.

You can get tasty looking sleeved cables for less than 10 euros now, and you can hide the PSU cables behind the M.board tray.

Advertisement