Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

:D

I'm wearing through my mouse mat. And I'm still using my ancient A4Tech wireless combo which dates all the way back to the invention of wireless peripherals (this was one of the first!... that didn't cost €140, anyway :D)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yeah, those 'hidden' costs are a killer really. Unless you're me, and using a keyboard from a Dell ordered in 2003 and a travel optical mouse so old that....it's just always been part of your life, not unlike a family pet. Oh, and also steal surge protected sockets from your parents place when you're visiting. Thanks to these factors, the price you see is the price you pay!

Have you a name for ol' reliable? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Hey guys, posting off my new machine for the first time :)

I'm waiting on a few fans and a cable extender to come so its not fully finished. I'll throw up a few pictures when it is.

After building it I cant speak highly enough about the antec 300, its a really nice case to work with, loads of room! I personally think its a nice looking case too boot. Only complaint I would have is the cables for the power buttons etc are a bit short. Also the power LED one is 3 wide (two outside ones being used) so it doesnt fit my motherboard currently

Found it awkward enough to build because of the scythe ninja heatsink (never installed anything other than stock ones before, there is a lot more planning involved when using one!).

I added an extra slot for cable routing using a dremmel-type tool made my Black & Decker that I got in B&q for €26, I didnt sort myself out the rubber u-tubing yet so I just went for electrical insulating tape while im waiting.

I went for a stealth drive (i think thats what there called) where I atthaced the Drive bay cover to the Cd drive so it looks like there is nothing there, you press the bottom right hand corner of the drive bay cover and the cd ejects. Very happy with how it turned out. As you can see in the pictures i drilled through the drive bay so i can see the activity light. you can notice it but its not as promenent as its showing up in the pictures.

Will update with more pictures when its done.

Havent got a chance to OC it yet, kinda want to leave it untill i get the extra fans anyways.

Can anyone recomend a decent program to monitor the temp of the cpu? I downloaded coretemp , and its currently telling me one core is at 27c and the other is at 33c (not doing anything hectic, side panel off)

No quite as impressive as other builds here, but im pretty happy whit it :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=86215&stc=1&d=1248735629

attachment.php?attachmentid=86216&stc=1&d=1248735629

and this is where all the cables live :pac:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=86217&stc=1&d=1248735629

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Just after Buying a Jigsaw and Replacing the Mesh with Blue Uv reactive Plexi

before

DSCF2356.JPG

After
    DSCF2372.JPG

DSCF2373.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Did you cut the plexi with said jigsaw?! Very neat work in any case! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Solitaire wrote: »
    Did you cut the plexi with said jigsaw?! Very neat work in any case! :)

hehe Yeah cheers I did , Put the Mesh over the Plexi Traced around it in pen , and then went at it with the Jig saw , Not bad for a first attempt like Could have been Allot worse , Chuffed all the Holes Lined up and it bolted in alright :D

Just waiting now to install ma new 4870 and I'll snap some more shots

edit wooo
    DSCF2377.JPG
    It's so much quieter now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

i have the 300 also love it too put two green 120mm fans at the front so looks sweet gona do a side window next week and see how that looks witnessmenow can u tell me how you done the dvd drive trick i love it cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

nobody noticed Kaimera's CPU fans were on arse-ways in that photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Are they? Is the general rule of thumb with fans that the open side is the one the air exhausts from? I swear one of my fans might be on backwards, either that or its running real slow:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Are they? Is the general rule of thumb with fans that the open side is the one the air exhausts from? I swear one of my fans might be on backwards, either that or its running real slow:rolleyes:

meh... ignore rule of thumb as there's always one. it should be printed on them somewhere. I know the Noctua's have a nice little arrow on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

nobody noticed Kaimera's CPU fans were on arse-ways in that photo?
    they're blowing over the RAM

Are all of the fans(2 CPU and 1 rear) blowing air inwards? If any one of those fans is pushing/pulling air in the opposite direction to the other fans then your wasting energy and cooling potential. Plus you really don't need to cool your RAM that much. The general airflow of the case should be enough for that.

Are all of the fans(2 CPU and 1 rear) blowing air inwards? If any one of those fans is pushing/pulling air in the opposite direction to the other fans then your wasting energy and cooling potential. Plus you really don't need to cool your RAM that much. The general airflow of the case should be enough for that.
    I'll have to double check but i'm thinking of turning off the rear case fan in any case.

kaimera wrote: »
    they're blowing over the RAM

blowing hot air over the RAM and back into the case?

if you're worried about the RAM you could always mod the case to have a side fan blowing on them, I don't think it would disrupt the air flow as much.

blowing hot air over the RAM and back into the case?

if you're worried about the RAM you could always mod the case to have a side fan blowing on them, I don't think it would disrupt the air flow as much.
    oddly enough it's not really hot air; the top case fan is sucking diesel off the HS as well.

the fans arent the easiest thing to pop off as you said lb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

yeah actually looking at your fan setup on the cpu cooler it's a bit arseways, the fan facing the front is exhausting air, but it should be in taking air over the cooler fins, and then the rear exhaust would take out hot air. One to look into as a wrong airflow will make temperatures worse then if you didn't have that fan at all - hot air will just be going in all direction through the case. I can't see the fan on the side facing the back, but it can't be doing much good in the current setup even if its facing the right way as they'll all be pushing/pulling against each other! You can get ram coolers for about a tenner, but good airflow through case should be enough unless you're really good for gold on the OC. I only have a ram cooler because the blue LEDS are blingin'. :D

massy086 wrote: »
    i have the 300 also love it too put two green 120mm fans at the front so looks sweet gona do a side window next week and see how that looks witnessmenow can u tell me how you done the dvd drive trick i love it cheers

Its not exactly complicated (or well made :P), I'll take a few detailed pictures of it tomorrow.

Basically you take front faceplate off the DVD drive, then the Bezel (?, the piece of plastic attached to the part that comes out, normally has the DVD logo on it)

Dremel the drive bay cover so that it no longer has the clips,I used a cutting wheel , I also took a couple of mm off it all around and completely removed the bottom part (the pictures will explain it better)

You then have to build out the part that comes out, i did this with double sided sticky tape (Dsst) and card board(cb). So it boringly went Dsst/Cb and repeat untill it was fully flush with the rest of the case. There is a good few layers of this on mine.

I drilled the hole through it with a drill head that came with my dremmel to let through the LED, I probablly used a head that was a small bit to big as i took a small bit of the paint from the metal mesh off, thats why it is so noticable in the picture

To get the eject mechanism working I used a bit of statejically bent coat hanger, the pictures will show how it works, basically its a long flat piece that is taped over on the left of the drive, as it starts to get to the middle its bent outwards then over the actualy eject button its bent back in so its pointing at the button, so basically pressing anywhere on the part that bent out ejects the drive.

Great minds think alike :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=86216&stc=1&d=1248735629

fools seldom differ though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

thats true lol mind you my one is so loud its not even funny i took it apart the other day and drilled out the hard drive bay 4 better air flow and put the hd up in the 5.25 bay and i also spray,d the inside of the case black real happy how it turned out im also waiting on some cable extenders and then i,ll take it back apart and try do more cable managment drill two more holes me think and see wats wat then lol cheers 4 ur help on the stealth drive it looks sweet well done mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

i should probably try and do some cable management,not much space to work with

awesomecablemanagement.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 R3laX

[CPU] - QuadCore Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650
    [MB] - Asus Maximus Extreme (Intel X38)
    [Cooling] - Ultra-120 eXtreme + Scythe SlipStream 1200rmp
    [Memory] - OCZ 4GB PC12800 DDRIII, 7-7-7-24, Kit of 2
    [Video] - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 280
    [Sound] - X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Professional Series
    [HDD] - Seagate Barracuda ES.2 7200.2, 750GB, 32MB, SATAII
    [Case] - Compucase MIDITOWER 6X ALU
    [PSU] - OCZ 1010 Watt GameXstream.
    [Optical] - LITE ON DVD+/-RW DL, RAM, LightScribe, SATA, Black
    [Network] - 802.11g MIMO Wireless Network Adapter
    [Display] - Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW, 22; WideScreen, Black, 1680x1050, 2ms.
    [Mouse] - Logitech MX518 Gaming
    [K-B] - Logitech G15
    [HS] - Creative Fatal1ty Gaming HeadSet
    + Logitech QuickCam® Pro 9000

~ 1,5 year old, still... nice... very nice :p

(sorry, mob. phone quality...)
    88954.jpg
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Thinking of selling my current PC to help with the purchase of my new one.

What ye reckon i could sell this for? Bear in mind its 2 months old and in perfect cond.

Intel Q8200 2.33 Quad core
    Geforce 9500GS 512Mb
    3 GIG of DDR RAM
    650 GB HDD
    Super Multi DVD-ROM Drive with LightScribe
    Card reader
    Windows Vista Premium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Rezident

CPU - E8600 EO 3.33GHz
    MB - Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6
    Video - 4890 2Gb Vapor-X

Memory - 4Gb Ballistix DDR2-800
    HDD - WD Raptor 150Gb
    Case - Antec P182
    PSU - Corsair HX 620W

[Display] - Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW, 22; WideScreen, Black, 1680x1050, 2ms.
    [Mouse] - Razer Copperhead
    [K-B] - Eclipse II
    [HS] - Icemat

Yaaaay got some new goodies^^ Mouse,Keyboard, screen and mouse mat :cool:
    2j9s0y.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Case: Coolermaster Centurion 590
    MB: Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2GHz
    CPU Cooler: Akasa Evo 98
    RAM: 4Gb Crucial DDR3-1333
    GFX: Sapphire HD4870 1GB
    AUDIO: X-Fi Xtremegamer
    HDs: 2 X Samsung 1TB's, 2 x WD Carviar's 750GB
    PSU: Corsair TX620W
    OS's: Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 4 & Windows XP Pro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Yaaaay got some new goodies^^ Mouse,Keyboard, screen and mouse mat :cool:

Where'd you get that mouse mat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Dingatron wrote: »
    Where'd you get that mouse mat?
    The shape of it is probably square, the rest of it hiding underneath the top part of that desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

CASE: Antec 900
    MOBO: MSI P43 Neo-F
    CPU: Intel Quad Q9550 2.8ghz (at 2.8ghz Not for long :p)
    GFX: Evga NVidia 8800GTS 320MB
    RAM: OCZ DDR2 PC8500 4GB Reaper (2x2GB)
    PSU: Seasonic 600W
    HDD: 1TB & 320MB Samsung internal Hard Drives
    HDD: 2x 500GB internal WDC Hard drives
    HDD: 1x 250GB external hard drive.
    HSF: Scythe Ninja
    OPT: 1x Blu-Ray Drive
    OPT: 1x DVD-RW Drive

Peripherals:

1x 22" LG Widescreen Monitor
    1x 21.5" LG Widescreen Monitor