Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

deceit wrote: »
    I have my watchguard firewall down for the weekend after a botched upgrade :( but net is up and on this server is encrypted keys and licenses from my job that are worth quite a bit of money so I will take every precaution to be careful until the firewall is up. I don't want it being even easier to access my esxi servers.
    Part of my job is to find ways past firewalls so maybe its a little bit of paranoia too.

Definately you being paranoid :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I have fulfilled a dream of getting 3 monitors at home and some Eyefinity gaming going :D

Here's a pic:

258586.jpg

That's 3 X 24" Iiyama HDS2407 being powered by 2 X Sapphire 6950 1GB cards in Crossfire (as well as an i5 2500k at stock for the moment and 8GB of Kingston Hyper X on a ASRock Z68 Extreme4).

They're on a deluxe triple monitor stand from Easy Mount LCD (total cost was €210 including postage and customs for the stand).

I'm in the process if putting a few quid together for a new case - the noise outta the machine now it getting silly :) So there'll be more pics of that at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

Lovely set up. I'm mad jealous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Shiminay wrote: »
    stuff

Tell me what you think of Eyefinity, I've been thinking of going from my U2711H to a setup like yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Ah G11, how well ye served me. (Edit: Actually, that's a G15 V1 if I'm not mistaken)

Nice setup. Quite liking the light bars too. Gotta get some zip ties and keep those cables out of the way. :P

• Advertisement

Venom:
    It's pretty cool, but doesn't suit every game. In the pic above you may have spotted that it's Arkham City and it's a lot of fun in that. Battlefield 3 also works well. My problem is that I've got to sit quite close to use the mouse and keyboard and so I have to move my head way too much for it to be comfortable, so that's definitely something you should think about. However, games like Arkham City that I can play with a controller allow me to sit back and take it all in easily and it's pretty fking awesome I don't mind saying :D

Serephucus:
    Yea, V1 G15, soon to be replaced with something mechanical.

The lighting bars are an Ikea Dioder set and can be set to any colour with the controller included.

I have to replace some cables as I want to move it over to the left to give me more usable desk space to the right (want somewhere to paint my miniatures as well as have somewhere for my girlfriend to sit with my laptop if she's visiting :)), so when I get them, I'll be cable tidying it all away. The stand itself has some handy cable management features - when it's all done, I'll take some detailed pics and show it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Venom:
    It's pretty cool, but doesn't suit every game. In the pic above you may have spotted that it's Arkham City and it's a lot of fun in that. Battlefield 3 also works well. My problem is that I've got to sit quite close to use the mouse and keyboard and so I have to move my head way too much for it to be comfortable, so that's definitely something you should think about. However, games like Arkham City that I can play with a controller allow me to sit back and take it all in easily and it's pretty fking awesome I don't mind saying :D

Serephucus:
    Yea, V1 G15, soon to be replaced with something mechanical.

The lighting bars are an Ikea Dioder set and can be set to any colour with the controller included.

I have to replace some cables as I want to move it over to the left to give me more usable desk space to the right (want somewhere to paint my miniatures as well as have somewhere for my girlfriend to sit with my laptop if she's visiting :)), so when I get them, I'll be cable tidying it all away. The stand itself has some handy cable management features - when it's all done, I'll take some detailed pics and show it off.

Ì got over the issue of having to turn your head by putting the monitors and much sharper angles. It also means when I sit at my desk i'm sitting into my monitors and they look like in real life in my peripheral vision so I get to enjoy it alot more as I use it the way you would peripheral sight, catch a glimpse then turn to look :)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

Venom:

I think you need to setup bezel compensation, just looking at the buildings joining the left and centre screen. I've been using a similar eyefinity setup for the last 2 years, bezel compensation only takes about 10 seconds to fully calibrate in AMD CCC. The bezels are still there of course, but when everything lines up correctly it's amazing how your brain can fill in the gaps and it will help make you less aware of the bezels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

FC2089D971684D838A1375FCFEFF4360-0000335471-0003283040-00800L-C86583DF74E647FBA8B58E03E841F3CE.jpg

Nothing spectacular but got myself a nice new Corsair 500R case - a nice upgrade from one of these yokes - in fairness to the Xigmatek it did what it was supposed to but I never had any love for it. It was bought on a very tight budget but it did serve me well.

Next in line - start replacing everything else inside over the coming months. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Ì got over the issue of having to turn your head by putting the monitors and much sharper angles. It also means when I sit at my desk i'm sitting into my monitors and they look like in real life in my peripheral vision so I get to enjoy it alot more as I use it the way you would peripheral sight, catch a glimpse then turn to look :)

Same as that-hardly ever look at the two side monitors, all in peripheral vision normally. I keep my side monitors at about a 35° angle from the back of the centre one and sit about 600mm back. I tried the sharper angles like your setup deceit-prefer the way they are now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Some really nice setups here. I must upload some pics of mine soon. It's nothing compared to some of the ones up here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

NTMK wrote: »
    how are your temps with the gpus that close?

Was having some major issues with the temps, top card going to 100 degrees and shutting down, middle card close and throttling....so I had a look at airflow and added a **** load of fans, no joy.....then discovered that the backplate on my most recent 680 was red hot, removed it and now all the cards at full load are around 80 degrees which is within tolerable limits. Yeah its noisy do I can play crysis 3 at 2560x1600 on max detail at more than 60 FPS, could only do mid 40's on 2 x sli..........

Oh yeah I have now also joined the club of people who have sold stuff to deciet.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Awesomesauce

Whats that on the right? DAC, IP Phone, Audio controller?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

ED E wrote: »
    Whats that on the right? DAC, IP Phone, Audio controller?

Looks like the audio controller for the speakers. Looks like creative or logitech ones. cant remember the set.

It's the control box for the speakers, yeah. Logitech Z-5500s.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

triple screens are fantastic for racing sims
    If you have a setup like that get yourself a wheel and pedals and some racing sims and do it all justice :)

Serephucus wrote: »
    It's the control box for the speakers, yeah. Logitech Z-5500s.

Yea, that's what it is, bought from RoyalMarine a couple of years ago. Great speakers, but something's not right with them atm and I don't know if it's the speakers or my Xonar D2X that's causing the stress (the Xonar is being a pain in the arse).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Was installing a new CPU fan in my HTPC yesterday so took a few pics to stick up here. Have been getting into PC gaming of late so stuck in another 2.5" hard drive so things look cramped but its just the cables really as there is very little room for decent management. Built this just over two years ago so plan on doing a new build before the end of the year as I need more storage and want to get a decent graphics card. Will still try to keep it ITX so it fits on the shelf. Details are as follows:

Silverstone SG06 with 450w PS
    Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3
    Core i3 540
    Silverstone NT07 CPU Fan
    Corsair F60 60GB
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB
    WD 250GB 2.5"
    8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
    Zotac GT430 Zone Edition
    LiteOn BD drive

2013-06-17125713.jpg

2013-06-17125738.jpg

2013-06-17125808.jpg

2013-06-18153246.jpg

2013-06-18153225.jpg

My second attempt at building a PC, thanks to all for the advice on the components hope you enjoy the pic's sorry for the quality. Any constructive criticism welcome and please no slagging for being a Razer fan boy:P
    Here's my first buildhttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76076907

Fractal Design R4 Black
    i5 3570k
    Asrock Pro 4 ATX mobo
    8gb Corsair Vengenance Ram
    250gb Samsung SSD
    1tb Seagate HDD
    Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X
    Be quiet hybrid modular 680watt PSU
    Arctic Cooling i30 CPU cooler
    etc, etc,...

It arrived...:D
    [IMG][/img]IMG_2112.jpg
    All the bits...:D

[IMG][/img]IMG_2116.jpg

[IMG][/img]IMG_2125.jpg

[IMG][/img]IMG_2127.jpg

[IMG][/img]IMG_2129.jpg

[IMG][/img]IMG_2130.jpg

[IMG][/img]IMG_2131.jpg
    A little bit messy but just wanted to load the OS before I tidied it up..:o
    [IMG][/img]IMG_2132.jpg

Loving it....:D
    [IMG][/img]IMG_21971.jpg

Need a new desk and chair but it all looks well and performs beautifully in my man cave..
    [IMG][/img]IMG_21961.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Looks great but what direction is that cpu cooler blowing? It looks like its blowing downwards. That's not ideal.

Ideally it should be blowing out the back of the case.

Would it not be better to have the psu pulling cool air from underneath rather than inside the case as well.

Your psu and g-card are competing for the same air.

• Advertisement

Got these today;
    IMAG0231.jpg

Needless to say I was giggling like a school girl, few strange looks from the Gf:)

IMAG0234.jpg

One installed-size compared to a 7970:

IMAG0235.jpg

IMAG0241.jpg

IMAG0242.jpg

Did a clean windows install, so far all three monitors in surround-had issues with getting em back running at 120hz-forgot the samsung drivers-sorted. Loading Bioshock infinate for a quick game-will run precision & over-clock them tomorrow, work has been cancelled due to lack of interest.

glynf wrote: »
    Got these today;

[snip]

I think I speak for everyone when I say: You jammy ****. :P

BloodBath wrote: »
    Looks great but what direction is that cpu cooler blowing? It looks like its blowing downwards. That's not ideal.

Ideally it should be blowing out the back of the case.

Would it not be better to have the psu pulling cool air from underneath rather than inside the case as well.

Your psu and g-card are competing for the same air.

oh s**t your right Bloodbath:eek::o
    I'll have to switch that around. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

F'ck you glynf, we all hate you now xD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

oh s**t your right Bloodbath:eek::o
    I'll have to switch that around. thanks

Nice build! Try OC that 7950, the VaporXs overclock really well apparently. I haven't forgotten about your fan! I have it sealed and ready to go since yesterday but I've been too busy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭simon360

glynf wrote: »

(SNIP)
    One installed-size compared to a 7970:

Care to donate one of your 7970's to a loving home ;) Na in fairness are you looking to sell them if I'm allowed ask that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

simon360 wrote: »
    Care to donate one of your 7970's to a loving home ;) Na in fairness are you looking to sell them if I'm allowed ask that here.
    He sold them on adverts already as far as I'm aware. I noticed them as was tempted to get a 3rd then realised i'd be crazy to get a 3rd :P

Gumbi wrote: »
    Nice build! Try OC that 7950, the VaporXs overclock really well apparently. I haven't forgotten about your fan! I have it sealed and ready to go since yesterday but I've been too busy :(
    Doing a little already. I'd better stop now and sort out my air flow issues.

simon360 wrote: »

Sorry, both have new homes already.
    ED E wrote: »
    F'ck you glynf, we all hate you now xD

:P
    He sold them on adverts already as far as I'm aware. I noticed them as was tempted to get a 3rd then realised i'd be crazy to get a 3rd :P

I thought long about a 3rd 7970 instead, but it would mean an X79 mobo & CPU just for the PCI lanes, and a new PSU. It worked out cheaper keeping the current mobo/CPU/PSU and going with the 780's. You know yourself that 2 7970's can get hot enough, 3 would defo cut down on the central heating costs..

Much as I loved the 7970's, I won't miss the micro stutter. Played a bit if Bioshock last night, way smoother. With xfire every so often the FPS would just drop for no reason, not with the 780's. Crossfire/bezel correction is more straightforward to setup/adjust with CCC-though I'm only getting used to the nvidia c.panel. Its nice to have all three monitors on DVI as well, I had a bit of grief with signal dropping due to displayport cables until I got good quality (read expensive) ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭prioryc

Never knew about the nzxt water cooler looks really nice, might have replace my intel liquid one now

Advertisement