Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

game4it70 wrote: »
    Use realtemp or coretemp to measure cores.
    That 8c is obviously a stuck/dodgy sensor unless your living in siberia :P

Both real and core temp display the core#3 at around 6-8 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Both real and core temp display the core#3 at around 6-8 degrees.

Its still wrong though as you cant get sub ambient temps with air/water cooling.

The sensors work better under load so it probably is more accurate and closer to the other 3 cores when stressing the cpu.

game4it70 wrote: »
    Its still wrong though as you cant get sub ambient temps with air/water cooling.

The sensors work better under load so it probably is more accurate and closer to the other 3 cores when stressing the cpu.

No I know. I don't really like using Hwmonitor. Does anyone know what AUXTIN on the board is? It's constantly reading 127 degrees. That and TMPIN3 and 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Ah i see, ye one of the cores on my cpu has a 10degree difference to the rest aswell. Jus as a matter of interest why did you change from a 670 to a 7950? Are you gaming at higher res than 1080p?

EoinHef wrote: »
    Ah i see, ye one of the cores on my cpu has a 10degree difference to the rest aswell. Jus as a matter of interest why did you change from a 670 to a 7950? Are you gaming at higher res than 1080p?

Needed a license for some software for my thesis. I didn't have much time to be playing anyway so I sold it and bought a 7950 a few months later when I had some money. I play at 1080. Wanna make the jump to a Catleap though or something similar.

• Advertisement

Needed a license for some software for my thesis. I didn't have much time to be playing anyway so I sold it and bought a 7950 a few months later when I had some money. I play at 1080. Wanna make the jump to a Catleap though or something similar.

Cool, thought it was kinda a sideways upgrade. Thought you might have wanted the extra gig of ram for higher res or something.
    Ye a catleap would be nice, think ill wait for that though and try get an Sli/Crossfire setup to play at higher res. From what I read even 2 660's will give good fps at say 1440p.

Ive asked bout the auxtin temp on hwmonitor on here before and did a bit of digging around,from what ive read it is not something to worry bout. Seems to affect asus and asrock boards,people are saying there actually no sensor there for it to measure temps or its a software glitch.
    But nowhere have I seen anybody say there computer died after getting high auxtin temps so I would just ignore it, definitely seems to be a glitch. (Free software so prob has a few bugs, although I do find it to be accurate on most things)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Ye there is. It comes with the stock fan. The stock fan I got was really noisy (second hand) though so I replaced it. I probably would have never used it anyway.

Much hassle replacing it?

Much hassle replacing it?

Not really. Four screws on top. The only real problem is the little plastic feet that hook into the fan. Trying to pry them loose is a bit of a pain.

Picture of the plastic feet.

13_v8_fanb.jpg

^^^^ sound! Well done.

Its a fantastic looking cooler, exactly why i bought mine.

What fan did you go for to replace the stock?

^^^^ sound! Well done.

Its a fantastic looking cooler, exactly why i bought mine.

What fan did you go for to replace the stock?

Replaced it with an Artic F12 PWM. Originally wanted to throw in a BitFenix Spectre PRO PWM but the little plastic feet wouldn't fit over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Hi,

Love my PC but It's nothing particularly amazing or new.

One thing that bugs me using a keyboard and mouse is that it can be a bit uncomfortable. Anyway, I bought three cheep mouse pads in the 2 Euro shop, and cut two of them for wrist and forearm support. Cheep and very effective. Sorry about the large pics.

260325.jpg

260326.jpg

260327.jpg

^^^ Nicely done,

Bit DIY is good for the soul

Ye nice man,looks store bought from the pictures.

I made the mistake of buying a very thin mouse mat,few hours of gaming and its painful:(

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ye nice man,looks store bought from the pictures.

I made the mistake of buying a very thin mouse mat,few hours of gaming and its painful:(

I'd say thats the mouse not the mat. The size and shape of a mouse vs your hand is VERY important.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Parts from this build arrived during the week. Thanks to everyone who commented.
    It was the buyers first self build PC so he brought the parts over and I sort of directed him through it.

Couple of points;
    The second motherboard power cable (the 8-pin one) was very very nearly too short. Kudos to BitFenix for having a hole seemingly specifically for this cable. I also had to cut the cable tie holding the cables together on the PSU to get enough give.
    Secondly the PSU mounting area was bent, I don't know when this happened but we didn't cause it. It took a bit of work with the pliers and a scrap of paper to protect the paintwork.

As a colossal nerd, he has dubbed her "Enterprise".
    Heres a link to the Album.

He stayed the night and the computer wouldn't turn on the next day. The look on his face was priceless. Some of the power cables must have been loose, fixed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Valdez

If anyone want to send me your work logs and I will post it on my site overclocker.ie or even in the Overclocker magazine.

ED E wrote: »
    I'd say thats the mouse not the mat. The size and shape of a mouse vs your hand is VERY important.

I bought a Logitech G400,heard good things about its predecessor.
    Its a rather large mouse as i have rather large hands;)
    I heard it was a good standard mouse for gaming,not a lot of bells and whistles but good dpi settings,changable on the go,and two extra function buttons.
    Im gonna get a thicker mouse mat and see if it makes a difference

I heard it was a good standard mouse for gaming,not a lot of bells and whistles but good dpi settings,changable on the go,and two extra function buttons.

Whats your desk like? Are your elbows on it? Thats a big thing for me, way more comfortable when Im not holding my arms up.

Whats your desk like? Are your elbows on it? Thats a big thing for me, way more comfortable when Im not holding my arms up.

I do have a small desk unfortunately, could only really fit the pc in the sitting room. No room to rest forearms/elbows on the desk. Changing the desk is not an option though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

I have a g400 and also use quite a thin mousepad and dont have any issues.
    What exactly is the problem?

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who does this lol

• Advertisement

Its a comfort thing, hard to explain but the area where the wrist meets the hand(the boney bit at the bottom of your palm) gets sore after an hour or two of gaming. Im not sure if im grabbing the mouse to far back and hand is hanging off the back but thats the way ive found im most accurate with the mouse and the way id naturally grab it.
    Was thinking a thicker mouse mat may offer better support

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Burgo wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who does this lol

i have my elbow on the desk when playing games to the point where the mouse can be behind the monitor :o

its a comfort thing i also have much better control of my mouse when my elbow is on the table

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Gots to have my elbow resting on something yo.

Have an L-shaped desk, couldnt live with a shallow little PC station that you always see.

We used PCs all day in work and fortunately they copped that a deep desk was a great thing.

Ye id love a big pc desk, thats what I get for buying a small 2 bed house though. Quite limited on space, although you wouldn think that if you saw the mortgage, swear I was livin in a mansion lol

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

I picked up a lovely curved,semi circular desk a while back on Adverts for 30 quid. Take a look there and you may find something you like for a very reasonable price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Done deal always has loads of office equipment, picked up both a 5" L shaped & a straight 5" for €120 delivered a while back, company in Meath IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

0961CC629C5F4752A7D02FB2F49D1029-0000335471-0003295350-01024L-ECD838FA67A149D2AD280134CE656004.jpg

9E14427379B644638178930A762D03E8-0000335471-0003295407-01024L-D9F3AD9C4727497AB67648F86EF4DC80.jpg

C6C2350860D0400594FCA48E3F54CBC8-0000335471-0003295404-01024L-78F9149A27B54BC38601427F22CBD452.jpg

DB40A0620B2F4B4E975EC127AFB98098-0000335471-0003295406-01024L-8AD9A9407AAE4C4BAFC83559FF126D13.jpg

94ADEBBCC3AC459A9E918595379A54DC-0000335471-0003295413-01024L-68224D38D0DA4633A54449A56889F783.jpg

A modular PSU may be needed or at least a PSU with longer cables - damn short cables on the Super Flower PSU are too short to route around the back. :(

And then all that's needed is a needed is the graphics card upgrade which will hopefully be coming soon - what to get is still to be decided.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    A modular PSU may be needed or at least a PSU with longer cables - damn short cables on the Super Flower PSU are too short to route around the back. :(

And then all that's needed is a needed is the graphics card upgrade which will hopefully be coming soon - what to get is still to be decided.

Turn the psu the other way around and you will get more than enough cable length to route the cables out the back and it will look so much better :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

It'll also help your airflow. Right now the PSU is pulling a lot of the available air away from the GPU.

Advertisement