Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Could be just me, but that looks a billion times better in natural light than it did with all the LEDs. Fantastic work so far. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Serephucus wrote: »
    Could be just me, but that looks a billion times better in natural light than it did with all the LEDs. Fantastic work so far. :)

shots with leds always make the rig look worse than what it is

ie
    2012-05-18+21.58.55.jpg

this is a rig i built last year and in the photo the led looks completely ott but irl it looks so so good (prob the best looking rig ive built to date) and all that light leakage isnt seen when its siting beside you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Here is my mid range air cooled system which I was planning to add a pair of GTX 780 Classified's to along with a Creative ZXR, but decided to sell it on adverts. Might be keeping it now though :)

HAF-XM | Corsair AX860 | Sabertooth Z77 | 3770K @4.6Z | Phanteks TC14PE | 16GB G.Skill TridentX 2400MHZ | Samsung 256GB 840 Pro x 2 | Seagate 3TB | Corsair SP2500 / K70 / M65 | Dell U2913WM 2560x1080

ty15.jpg
    3j2e.jpg
    5bxt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

Thanks, I put a lot of effort into it so hopefully it will be worth it. Most of the time was spent planning out where all the bits would go and I did several mockups until I was sure of everything. Glad I managed to fill all of the space inside the case as Ive seen far too many 900D builds where they look too sparse on the inside.

As for the leds vs natural light, like the above poster said, its very difficult to get the exposure right on the camera phone. Looks great in both case in real life anyway. Still undecided whether to leave it all with distilled water or use a coloured coolant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Wow Flaccus, I didn't know if you were still with us! I've always loved your builds. So clean in the wiring. :cool:
    Love the black and white colour scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Very clean build Flaccus. Can I ask where everyone is getting these nice coloured braided cables for everything?

Are they bitfenix ones? How do you get the 20 pin braided?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

BloodBath wrote: »
    Very clean build Flaccus. Can I ask where everyone is getting these nice coloured braided cables for everything?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-127-CS&groupid=701&catid=123

How're you finding the 21:9 monitor, Flaccus, if I might ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Scottius

Flaccus that is niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Monotype wrote: »
    Wow Flaccus, I didn't know if you were still with us! I've always loved your builds. So clean in the wiring. :cool:
    Love the black and white colour scheme.

Thanks mate.

For PSU - 24pinATX, CPU, and 4 Sata I used white Corsair individually sleeved cables
    To connect optical drive to one of psu sata's I used a white NZXT sata to sata sleeved extension
    For the Coolermaster fans, I sleeved them in black myself, and as I was connecting 2 fans to 1 motherboard header each, I used NZXT dual 3pin to single 3pin sleeved extension
    For the Corsair 120mm fans as they are pwm I used white Bitfenix 4pin pwm sleeved extensions - could only get those from PerformancePCs in the U.S.
    The Phanteks fans use 3pin to 4pin pwm convertors and Bitfenix pwm sleeved extensions also
    The rear Corsair AF140 used a bitfenix 3pin sleeved extension as does the Noiseblocker 40mm assist fan (inside motherboard).
    How're you finding the 21:9 monitor, Flaccus, if I might ask?
    Good except can't get used to less vertical space. Same as a 23" but much less then my 27" Dell S2740L, so might go for a proper 1440p screen at some stage if I can find an IPS without backlight bleed.
    Scottius wrote: »
    Flaccus that is niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.
    Thanks mate. Updated the pics again as I redid the rear cable management. All that is left now is PCI-E cables for whenever I can afford some gpu's :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

So apparently I have horrible cable management.. Those builds look so clean and tidy.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It's a bit harsh comparing yourself to perfection. :pac: I've seen some horrific management, but so long as it's tucked away a little bit and not stretched in front of everything so that you can't even get at your components, it's not a bad job.

Deano12345 has a good guide on it to start you off:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62885594

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Time for something a bit more normal to take a break from these high end builds! Transplanted my existing motherboard and some parts into a Lian Li V351 case. Its a bit big for a media centre, but thats what its going in as. Would make a neat little home server though.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/195835/264496.jpg

264497.jpg

Unfortunately i didnt realise the ram i ordered (the cheapest i could find) has flashing blue leds on it!

264498.jpg

All finished

264499.jpg

Suppose i should throw in some spec!

Pentium G630
    ASROCK H61 MATX
    4GB RAM
    64GB crucial M4
    2TB WD HDD
    Club 3d HD7770
    No name brand 550W PSU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I got a motherboard for the main desktop, as the other was going into the media centre. Have t get another hard drive or ssd for this as although i wont need much space, would be nice to have space for some games and a couple of tunes along with the more work oriented stuff.

Spec:
    Core i5 3470
    AsRock B75 Pro3-M
    2 x 4GB GSkill RaM
    64GB Kingston SSD
    Supoerflow Amazon 450W PSU
    Sapphire 7970 (Courtesy of Glynf -no regrets on going over budget to pick up this!)
    Fractal Design Core 1000

264512.jpg

You can see the (literal) hatchet job i did on the top of the cooler to get it to fit in this one! Doesnt need to be pretty, cant see it most of the time!

264513.jpg

264514.jpg

Its not a bad case for the price so long as you dont need more than two hard drives. As it was there was a mounting plate to mount them vertically running from the bottom of the dvd drive cages to the bottom of the case, but with the longer graphics card in. I got rid of it for now as the bottom bay would have been blocked anyways, will shove it back in when i get another hard drive

I forgot to include one of the desk

264532.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Thought that 7970 looked familiar :)

Finally got around to taking / posting pictures.

YfLCszil.jpg

Starting off... That cooler was horrible to work with

3tC9WUwl.jpg

The finished product.. Horrible, horrible cable management..

pqJS7j0l.jpg

The rats nest..

3LEOKbpl.jpg

So i spent ages tidying everything up and feel much better for it

rA9xh8Ml.jpg

The setup, complete with walking dead mouse mat

How do you get by with so little mouse space? Time for a smaller keyboard me thinks :)

You could throw another intake on the bottom there to feed those cards some air.

Nice setup all the same.

How do you get by with so little mouse space? Time for a smaller keyboard me thinks :)

You could throw another intake on the bottom there to feed those cards some air.

Nice setup all the same.

I usually move keyboard to the left so it's hanging over the shelf slightly when I need more space. For general browsing the above is grand. :)

I actually have a spare 120mm fan so I may put that in but I was worried about 4 intakes for 2 exhausts..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Nice setup all the same.

Or, a bigger desk. Have a look at Ikea. They have some good cheap desks. :)

Remember the cards are expelling some air out the back as well and you want positive airflow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Vince086

Looks like there is a lot of light coming out the bottom of the case, does the door not fit perfectly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Danger781 wrote: »
    Stuff

How the hell do you manage with the mouse there? So cramped.

Vince086 wrote: »
    Looks like there is a lot of light coming out the bottom of the case, does the door not fit perfectly ?

I haven't noticed that before. What picture?
    ED E wrote: »
    How the hell do you manage with the mouse there? So cramped.

Dunno guess I'm used to it :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

20130730_215952_zpsfabc4f81.jpg

20130730_220119_zps24c12622.jpg

Ugly as all hell, but:

vDLDnB3l.jpg

mmZH7Sbl.jpg

aSs0y0Kl.jpg

r6aLILQl.jpg

Had a really hard time trying to figure out where to stick that mechanical drive. I originally had the bottom part of the HDD cage still installed, and the pump/res fit like that, but only with around 3mm to spare before it hit the rad, and I wanted some vibration damping in there too, so it had to come out.

Cable management isn't really there at the moment. There's not a lot can be done to be honest though. Most of the clutter is SATA-related, and there's nowhere else that junk can be put.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, that random PCI bracket in the third picture is a fan controller. The board only has two headers. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

The White looks well Serephucus, sweet build.

Just a suggestion-you could use Velcro to fix the SSD on to the sound damping at the back of the case, and could you fit the fan controller beside the PSU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

i can see the point where you decided **** this and closed the sides judging by the way your ssd cables seem to be knotted to your res:p

I think you mean the front? There's not really any spare room at the back, but yes, I certainly could. And I probably could get the fan controller in beside the PSU, but it's more a question of other associated cables than the controller itself. I have four fans going into it and a molex coming out, not sure there's room for all that, but I'll look into it the next time I pop open the case.

Actually, as we're on the subject of my build, I'm hitting max. temps of around 95°C in Prime with 4.5 @ 1.288 (high I know, not optimised yet), seems a bit on the high side, not quite sure why.

@NTMK: Not quite (though it wasn't long after that). I need a molex for the pump and fan controller, so rather than have to have a second line coming off the PSU, I'm using a 2xSATA+2xMolex line, meaning if I want the HDD there, that's pretty much where the SSD has to go. Can't go right beside the HDD as it's pushing on the side panel as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I was messing around with a bit of OCing on my 3570k(I think that's what you're running?) the other day and hit about 85C at 4.4ghz @ ~1.29v(also not optimised) running Prime so yeah that does seem a little bit hot, mine is air cooled too. Not sure if I lucked out with my chip or not though.

EDIT: Just double checked, 80C actually, not 85.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I've finally connected my main rig up into one loop as my tonne of new fittings got delayed. Not in stock until 9th of august :(.
    While was at it ordered another 150 worth of watercooling bits so will have 450 more of water cooling fittings arriving end of next month and should then really start to take shape but for now this is it :) .
    Edit:
    Ignore the tube hanging there, thats just for filling the loop. Want to get all the air out before I remove it.
    IMG_0334_zps228fbc4f.jpg

Advertisement