Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I got my 290x yesterday so I decided I couldn't wait for my photon res to arrive and just tried it out :)

20140204_214542_zps095b1fa4.jpg

Will get a decent pic and have proper dye in it when the photon res arrives.
    I'm not sure what I will do with the second 290x if I ever get it back from rma. If I put it in this it means will have to watercool it also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Been a while since I posted in this thread. Here are my 3 rigs, there are plenty people here with far better/better looking rigs than me, but these do the job nicely for me.

Main Gaming Rig:

CPU: AMD FX-8350
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
    Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3-1333MHz
    Graphics: Asus GTX 780 DirectCU II
    SSD: Samsung 840 250GB
    HDD's: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB (x2)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212
    PSU: Corsair AX760
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4
    OS's: Windows 7 & Debian Linux 7.3

AgRq4LW.jpg

72ajgsS.jpg

Secondary Rig:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
    Memory: 8GB Corsair DDR3-1333MHz
    Graphics: MSi GTX 560 Twin Frozr II
    HDD 1: Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB
    HDD 2: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB
    CPU Cooler: Akasa Evo 98
    Case: Cooler Master Centurion 590
    PSU: Corsair HX620

JKHmqQM.jpg

JoAFTuu.jpg

HTPC:

APU: AMD A6-6400k
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI
    Memory: 4GB G-Skill DDR3-1333MHz
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 344
    PSU: Corsair VS350
    HDD: Western Digital Scorpio Blue 1TB
    Keyboard/Touchpad: Logitech K400r

K7Uuc87.jpg

kgBqSjQ.jpg

M3MkwPd.jpg

I don't know if you can tell, but I'm a bit of an AMD fanboy when it comes to CPUs. :D

Next on my upgrade list is to upgrade the APU in my HTPC to an A10-7850k depending on what AMD's Linux drivers and SteamOS looks like later in the year. Also on the list is to get a proper HTPC case and do away with that terrible Skybox in the picture above.

I plan on holding out until 2015 on my main rig. If there's no new FX CPU from AMD in 2015, I'll be giving Haswell-E a very serious look early next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Sweet work on your main rig. Simplistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The Fractal R4 looks really nice in the main rig,makes me want to get a new case:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

EoinHef wrote: »
    The Fractal R4 looks really nice in the main rig,makes me want to get a new case:)

I'm having a very hard time deciding which is nicer. The R4 or the H440

Small%20(1%20of%2014).jpgnzxt_h440_built_34.jpg

• Advertisement

EoinHef wrote: »
    I'd recommend it. Nicest case I've had so far, I love how quiet it is with the fans volted down to either 5v or 7v. I'd long known volting the fans down was possible, but never realized the difference it makes.

The only niggle I have with it is that it could do with more places to fix cable ties behind the motherboard tray. The H440 for instance has them everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

z0oT wrote: »

HTPC:

APU: AMD A6-6400k
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI
    Memory: 4GB G-Skill DDR3-1333MHz
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 344
    PSU: Corsair VS350
    HDD: Western Digital Scorpio Blue 1TB
    Keyboard/Touchpad: Logitech K400r

K7Uuc87.jpg

M3MkwPd.jpg

I.

I think you should get bigger case for that last pc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

twinsen wrote: »

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Danger781 wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:

It's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Both look beautiful cases,and the H440 comes in black also which I like.
    First world problems:)

• Advertisement

twinsen wrote: »
    I'd actually love to put the little ITX board into something like a Corsair 900D or those obscenely huge Caselabs cases for sheer hilarity. :p

TBH though, that Cooler Master Elite 344 case was like €30 at the time I put the thing together. I couldn't argue with the price, even if it does dwarf the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Nanoxia deep silence another good option with r4 and the h

Finally got a chance to put the res in the pc, idle temps dropped from the low 30's to low 20's with just switching the res (Not sure how :eek: but i'm happy :) ).
    I'm not sure if I should keep the other 290x when I get it back and watercool it also or just leave it as it is and sort the crystal link stuff first.
    Can ignore the colour of the dye as i'm just testing it out with plain water and the bit of dye that wasnt drained out to see if I was happy with it.
    IMG_4495_zps18818897.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Probably just ambient temps. The res wouldn't have anywhere near that sort of affect.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Probably just ambient temps. The res wouldn't have anywhere near that sort of affect.
    I'm thinking it just helped get trapped air out of the loop easier with the baffle, other than that have no idea why.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Finally swapped over my to my 540. Love this case but who ever decided to make the front panel cabling that short should be fired from Corsair. As you can see its just stretched over the mobo. Will sort that out when sleeving them! The fans are temporary as I have SP120s to go in when the time is right. I need to sleeve the USB connection thats going across aswel, thats from the BitFenix Recon. Waiting on a desk to arrive aswel as its crammed where it is

IMAG0156.jpg
    IMAG0158.jpg
    IMAG0159.jpg
    IMAG0157.jpg
    IMAG0161.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

That's a lovely case :)

Blitz17 wrote: »
    Finally swapped over my to my 540. Love this case but who ever decided to make the front panel cabling that short should be fired from Corsair. As you can see its just stretched over the mobo. Will sort that out when sleeving them! The fans are temporary as I have SP120s to go in when the time is right. I need to sleeve the USB connection thats going across aswel, thats from the BitFenix Recon. Waiting on a desk to arrive aswel as its crammed where it is
    Really tidy looking rig :D

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Thanks guys.

Had a proper fail moment earlier , Went to boot it for the first time in its new home and all good but the screen just went blank after the starting windows splash. I checked every connection over and over and still couldnt figure out what was going on. About an hour later I look at the back of the monitor and the HDMI wasnt pushed all the way in :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Valdez

Blitz17 wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

Had a proper fail moment earlier , Went to boot it for the first time in its new home and all good but the screen just went blank after the starting windows splash. I checked every connection over and over and still couldnt figure out what was going on. About an hour later I look at the back of the monitor and the HDMI wasnt pushed all the way in :o:o

I know how you feel, I did something like that with my last build. When I upgrade some parts in my case. I never plugged the power back into boot drive. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't finding the boot drive. Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭robk24

That's a savage case!
    What are the acoustics like? is it quiet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

My setup since I moved to Bristol. Decided to leave my other PC at home for when I visit. Cheated a little this time to save money and bought the PC already built from Ebay. Worked out well though and saved a few hundred pounds compared to component cost.

9455F050B948492495A5B307D502F35A-0000316615-0003497642-00800L-CA7113416C764993A753012AE8874BFF.jpg

9328683FBCE64196BF1ACAD4BAC90031-0000316615-0003497641-00800L-00B90DB2BC1D456D91EF2628F9FC511C.jpg

96C769A6CE5340098487D0569522AF72-0000316615-0003497639-00800L-9E56F1261B52449BB73587FDE00A4968.jpg

Specs:

Core i7 4770K @ 4.2Ghz
    Corsair H80i Water Cooler
    Gigabyte Z87X-D3H
    16GB Corsair 1866mhz Vengeance
    Plextor 256GB M5S SSD
    2TB HDD
    Palit Super Jetstream GTX 780
    Asus Xonar DG 5.1
    Corsair Carbide 300R Case
    Corsair GS700 PSU
    Corsair K70 Mech KB

Speakers: Onkyo HTX-22HDX + SKS22X

Quite happy with it so far! Had a pleasant surprise with the graphics card too as the auction had it listed as a stock GTX 780. This one is top bin with base clocks of 980/1550 and I have pushed it quite a bit higher too with no issues!

Here's a 3dmark result with some GPU overclocking (which was stable, ran Furmark and others with no issues, probably can go higher) http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7658856

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Mwah haw haw haw haawwwwwwww! The final pieces of my upgrade have arrived! Unfortunately in a moment of madness I decided to do a fresh install of windows so I haven't actually played anything yet! Doh! :o

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Mwah haw haw haw haawwwwwwww! The final pieces of my upgrade have arrived! Unfortunately in a moment of madness I decided to do a fresh install of windows so I haven't actually played anything yet! Doh! :o

Sweet Jesus. That is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

The DiCU2's are always so well finished.

Yea they look great, the finish is fantastic and the back plates are beautiful. They feel premium as well, good weight to them, the cooler housing feels metal as well as opposed to plastic. I was really impressed by the packaging as well, high quality and a bit of drama when opening the box!

Have you tried to overclock them yet? What are they like sound wise?
    Was tempted to get the 290x versions but no sign of blocks for them yet turned me off.
    Sweet looking rig btw :)
    One thing though, I've never been a fan of the cables looping down over the cards, always prefered to see as little cable as possible :). Seems to be more popular lately to do this, only reason I see for doing this is on sr-x style boards where they are too wide for the cable to go the other way.
    What type of cpu are you running with them?
    Also one thing with them being so power hungry is a 750 watt enough for two of them and a cpu, each card should use a max of 265 from the wall so about 240 which makes it about 500 for both cards.
    This leaves very little room for everything else, cpu, motherboard, ram, hd, ssd (I know most are small power requirements but with the cpu added they all add up)
    I managed to get my 290x so will be in a similar position to you now when I get a second block/backplate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

deceit wrote: »
    Was tempted to get the 290x versions but no sign of blocks for them yet turned me off.
    Sweet looking rig btw :)
    One thing though, I've never been a fan of the cables looping down over the cards, always prefered to see as little cable as possible :). Seems to be more popular lately to do this, only reason I see for doing this is on sr-x style boards where they are too wide for the cable to go the other way.
    Also one thing with them being so power hungry is a 750 watt enough for two of them and a cpu, each card should use a max of 265 from the wall so about 240 which makes it about 500 for both cards.
    This leaves very little room for everything else, cpu, motherboard, ram, hd, ssd (I know most are small power requirements but with the cpu added they all add up)
    I managed to get my 290x so will be in a similar position to you now when I get a second block/backplate :)

Oh yeah agreed 100%, if only somebody was selling a digital 860watt platinium certified PSU for a knock down price

cough

http://www.adverts.ie/power-supply-units/corsair-ax860i-unopened-in-box/4791836

deceit wrote: »
    Sweet looking rig btw smile.png
    One thing though, I've never been a fan of the cables looping down over the cards, always prefered to see as little cable as possible smile.png. Seems to be more popular lately to do this, only reason I see for doing this is on sr-x style boards where they are too wide for the cable to go the other way.
    I managed to get my 290x so will be in a similar position to you now when I get a second block/backplate smile.png

Haven't tried overclocking them yet. Not sure my PSU would cut it tbh. After some gaming and running a few benches in Heaven and Valley, the highest power consumption I recorded on my power monitor was about 540w, although after 10 minutes of FurMark it peaked over 700w!

Thinks did get hot after 10 minutes of Furmark alright, hit 92°C! However during gaming and the aforementioned benches it was close to the 80°C. Fan usage was up over 50% in Furmark, which was audible, no doubt about it, but not [i[that[/i] bad. During gaming it's lower, around 40% and fine to game with. I use headphones either way so it's not an issue.

Running a 3570k@4.5ghz with them at the mo. Having some issues with drivers and power saving features that I'm going to mess around with when I get home from work. Look at the differences in the two GPUz below. Apparently though this is ULPS so will try knock it off once home and see if they start to match.

Also had a couple of BSOD's, stop code 0x0116 I think, can't remember 100% off the top of my head, have to go through that later as well.

900x900px-LL-b6e73d6d_GPUzR920.jpeg

Oh yeah agreed 100%, if only somebody was selling a digital 860watt platinium certified PSU for a knock down price

cough

http://www.adverts.ie/power-supply-units/corsair-ax860i-unopened-in-box/4791836

Nice try man ;) Alas I'm not broke! :o

• Advertisement

Haven't tried overclocking them yet. Not sure my PSU would cut it tbh. After some gaming and running a few benches in Heaven and Valley, the highest power consumption I recorded on my power monitor was about 540w, although after 10 minutes of FurMark it peaked over 700w!

Thinks did get hot after 10 minutes of Furmark alright, hit 92°C! However during gaming and the aforementioned benches it was close to the 80°C. Fan usage was up over 50% in Furmark, which was audible, no doubt about it, but not [i[that[/i] bad. During gaming it's lower, around 40% and fine to game with. I use headphones either way so it's not an issue.

Running a 3570k@4.5ghz with them at the mo. Having some issues with drivers and power saving features that I'm going to mess around with when I get home from work. Look at the differences in the two GPUz below. Apparently though this is ULPS so will try knock it off once home and see if they start to match.

Also had a couple of BSOD's, stop code 0x0116 I think, can't remember 100% off the top of my head, have to go through that later as well.

Nice try man ;) Alas I'm not broke! :o
    There's a chance the blue screens can be power related, if theres just not enough power for the cards they will hit a brick wall.
    I wouldnt risk it with all the expensive kit you have in your pc as if the psu fails could take everything else with it.
    If you turn off ulps your second card will consume a load more power and most likely put you over your limit. I know its only supposed to effect when the card is idle but it gets the second cards max draw higher when disabled also after testing with my 7970's.

Advertisement