Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Even though the power monitor never went above ~540 watts during real world application? Is there much risk if the PSU does die? Thought most decent PSUs would just shut down and fail to start, not go out in a blaze of glory like cheaper ones! This is my PSU. Obviously if it's a serious threat to the system it will be getting replaced asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Even though the power monitor never went above ~540 watts during real world application? Is there much risk if the PSU does die? Thought most decent PSUs would just shut down and fail to start, not go out in a blaze of glory like cheaper ones! This is my PSU. Obviously if it's a serious threat to the system it will be getting replaced asap!
    I have to wonder about them power monitoring plugs (I wouldn't put much faith in them), I've two under my desk here and one shows my pc uses 211 watts, while the second one says it uses 286.
    Either way, even if it is accurate, I wouldnt be happy with just 750 long term as any equipment being used near its max will wear out alot quicker than if its not stressed as much. I've had two psu's blow from two good quality manufacturers, both took motherboards and ram with them.
    When psu's go they can in alot of instances take other parts with them, its just decent quality parts are much less likely to blow.

I'm showing this as 290's and x varients would be similar.
    This is from guru3d:
    Power consumption AMD Radeon R9-290X 2-way Crossfire
    1. System in IDLE = 130W
    2. System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 661 Watts (This is just the wattage with gpu's fully stressed, what happens if cpu is stressed also, especially your overclocked one, would easily go over 750)
    3. Difference (GPU load) = 531W
    4. Add average IDLE wattage ~20W
    5. Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 551 Watts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Would this 850w be ok? I can pickthat up for €100. Or would I need to go closer to 1000w?

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Would this 850w be ok? I can pickthat up for €100. Or would I need to go closer to 1000w?
    850 would be enough yea imo. If you pick that up for 100, i'm sure you can get a fair bit of the cash back from selling your own so you wont be much worse off.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

interesting, where you pick this up? and how come your selling it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

interesting, where you pick this up? and how come your selling it?

I moved up to a 1200w PSU as I have tri sli. I RMA'd my old 860 and got a brand new one hence the unopened supply. Its a great PSU but not for overclocked processor and three GPU's. Dual SLI no problem. IMHO the PSU is the key component of your system. So much instability is from PSU problems expically in overclocked configurations. If you would spend 400 euro on a GPU spend more than 100 on a PSU. I have a graveyard of PSUs in my garage all good brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Installed an old remote controlled LED Cabinet kit into my PC today, getting bored with my color scheme is a thing of the past! Not coming out perfect at the moment because my Fans are Blue LED and I also have Blue LED Strips in there so the different colors are a little mixed....there are other colors as well not shown, like yellow and pink... :p

294202.jpg

294203.jpg

294204.jpg

294205.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

^^^^ Needs more cables

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

That looks familiar :D

2ilo96p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

^^^^ Needs more cables

And a 212 Evo or H100i.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I find it amazing how much of a cabling elitist snob I've turned into since I finally got the finger out, bought some cable ties and spent a few hours actually tidying my case up. It's still not perfect, but it's a million times better than it was. I'll post pics at some stage!

And a 212 Evo or H100i.

I actually had an Evo 212 but I managed to break it when installing new parts. I was going to get another one but the stock cooler doesn't offend me too much and it's alright for mild overclocking as well, leaving it for now.

As for my cables, installing that LED kit made a mess of it, but when the side panels on you can't see any of it through the window, which satisfies me well enough. :p

As for my cables, installing that LED kit made a mess of it, but when the side panels on you can't see any of it through the window, which satisfies me well enough. :p
    Need to be instant banned from all PC enthusiast forums with that comment. Wheres Solitaire when you need him. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Cables a mess = airflow a mess. Why spend money on upgrades, especially aesthetic ones, and not do the simple free things of tidying up all the cables.

294203.jpg

o good god...... i don't even know what to say to both your lack of cablemangment and the reason you gave for not doing it.

Even if i couldnt see it i would always know it was there every time i looked at my rig, maby that is just the OCD head in me screaming at these pictures.

Cables a mess = airflow a mess. Why spend money on upgrades, especially aesthetic ones, and not do the simple free things of tidying up all the cables.

It doesn't affect airflow. above PSU level the cables are good, the only messy ones is from the kit I just installed. There are no cables in the way of any of my fans, I'll sort the kit out eventually!

You know what they say - out of sight out of mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

First upgrade in a while, and I finally got a mechanical keyboard.and The left-handed deathadder is a spare-I got the fear that they might stop making them:o

IMAG0934_zpsa7470bb3.jpg

IMAG0938_zps5860f5e8.jpg

IMAG0939_zps92aa4273.jpg

Well impressed with the build quality & liking very much the satisfying click when I hit a key a lot more than I thought I would.

The down side is I feel a dose of upgrade-like-a-bastard-itis coming on.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

Cherry red keys? What're they like? Thinking about getting one myself as my next stupid purchase

Yes Cherry reds, and very they have a nice tactile feel to them, plus not as loud as expected. The only other mech keyboard I had was an old IBM one years ago, and this is much better in fairness. It is a seriously solid and heavy piece of kit as well, and the wrist rest is sweet.

Next I need to figure out what LED's my mouse uses, plan on breaking out the soldering iron & replacing them with red ones, the colour clash is pissing me off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

the stands for those monitors look odd.
    why are they not in the center lol

• Advertisement

That's the design, don't give a fiddlers either as they're all full of 120hz goodness.

So i have ordered white custom braided cables a 24pin 8pin 6pin and the shop i found did a front panel cable as well :)
    I also ordered a NZXT led 1m white light strip.

This is the front panel cable.

Capture_zps067b2dae.png

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

So i have ordered white custom braided cables a 24pin 8pin 6pin and the shop i found did a front panel cable as well :)
    I also ordered a NZXT led 1m white light strip.

This is the front panel cable.

Capture_zps067b2dae.png

I got them to do that in but in White-Black-White-Black to match the rest of my cables. After sleeving them all blue before and taking forever THEN unsleeving them when I changed colour of the build. Never sleeving again :pac:

Blitz17 wrote: »
    I got them to do that in but in White-Black-White-Black to match the rest of my cables. After sleeving them all blue before and taking forever THEN unsleeving them when I changed colour of the build. Never sleeving again :pac:

How much does self-sleeving cost? And where would you get the supplies in Ireland? It was something that intrigued me a while ago, out of boredom

Seaaan wrote: »
    How much does self-sleeving cost? And where would you get the supplies in Ireland? It was something that intrigued me a while ago, out of boredom

Its very cheap actually but time consuming , VERY time consuming.

You need to decide what sleeve you want to go for.

I used Paracord which is easily available on Amazon in lots of different colours.

Tools to remove pins from atx connectors, molex etc.

Heat shrink and a heat gun. All of those can be picked up quite cheap online.

Its very cheap actually but time consuming , VERY time consuming.

You need to decide what sleeve you want to go for.

I used Paracord which is easily available on Amazon in lots of different colours.

Tools to remove pins from atx connectors, molex etc.

Heat shrink and a heat gun. All of those can be picked up quite cheap online.

Seems a lot simpler than I thought. Might attempt it at Easter when I've time off, thanks!:o

Seems a lot simpler than I thought. Might attempt it at Easter when I've time off, thanks!:o

Thats exactly the mistake I made :P

Plenty of guides on the internet regarding it aswel.

Thats exactly the mistake I made :P

Plenty of guides on the internet regarding it aswel.

I don't mind wasting time if it will look nice! Better than dropping 70 or so in a bag of corsair sleeved cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I don't mind wasting time if it will look nice! Better than dropping 70 or so in a bag of corsair sleeved cables.

There is a good guide in the video below. I have bought everything I need for it, now I just need to put aside some time to actually do it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxyrkD7HaV4

• Advertisement

farna_boy wrote: »
    There is a good guide in the video below. I have bought everything I need for it, now I just need to put aside some time to actually do it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxyrkD7HaV4

Your PSU is modular or not?

Advertisement