Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

New monitor purchased today, HP 23xi. Absolutely love it!
    07wl7Hx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Serephucus wrote: »
    Just to be perfectly clear on this one: You are joking, yes? :)

Nope! Posted up a picture before - ill try and dig it out!

Edit: Took a while to dig that up, hadnt actually stuck up post-amputation pic, put here is the pre-op!

258336.jpg

Doing a case transplant (probably tomorrow) so ill stick up a post-op pic of it then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Um... heatpipes don't work when you cut the tops off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Would it not have been easier to drill a few holes in the case to let the tips out?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Would it not have been easier to drill a few holes in the case to let the tips out?

Well excuse him for not having an engineering degree.................or a bit of cop on :pac:

• Advertisement

Well excuse him for not having an engineering degree.................

Ironically i do... :o

Didnt give it any thought at the time, just assumed it was a large heat sink, hadnt researched into the actual heat transfer process or queried why there was both copper and aluminium in there!

Weirdly enough its been like that about a year and i've never had an issued, not one blue screen or anything like it. Temps not terrible either at about 30 idle and 60-70 when gaming etc (i5 3470).

Will have to do some thing about it now though... ignorance was bliss

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Um... heatpipes don't work when you cut the tops off them.

There a vacuum in there or something? Oh and as long time reader, I now know vacuum is spelled with 2 'u's. Thanks god for spell checker!

Never mind, I always thought, they were nothing but a metal block, now I know the principles, thanks to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pipe.

It all makes sense now, so that begs the question, what happened to the fluid, surely it would be all over the components in the case?

Anyway, I have a Macho fitted with a 120mm fan, http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermalright-Macho-CPU-Cooler-Review/1449, thanks to the PC building regulars for the advice! And its completely silent, I toyed with water cooling, but tbh, I actually didn't need it at all, I can happily overclock my I5 without serious temperature increases, so it gets my 100% stamp of approval. Why have a water pump, its just more noise. I love the fact I can turn on my PC and not hear anything.

It's not quite. It's a low pressure chamber with a small amount of ethanol (I think). The liquid evaporates, carrying heat with it up the fin stack, cools, and condenses again. When you cut open heatpipes, the system collapses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

It's not quite. It's a low pressure chamber with a small amount of ethanol (I think). The liquid evaporates, carrying heat with it up the fin stack, cools, and condenses again. When you cut open heatpipes, the system collapses.

This. 60 - 70 sounds high for a 3470 (basically a non OCed 3570k. But it's still OK. TBH there was no need an aftermarket cooler if you weren't gonna have an overclockable CPU.

Gumbi wrote: »
    This. 60 - 70 sounds high for a 3470 (basically a non OCed 3570k. But it's still OK. TBH there was no need an aftermarket cooler if you weren't gonna have an overclockable CPU.

Only got it as the fan on the Intel one was quite loud. That and it was only 15 on adverts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Only got it as the fan on the Intel one was quite loud. That and it was only 15 on adverts

No biggie then!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

D5993E6210C5429F837D908A053A0758-0000355618-0003580448-00800L-DBDF531EB04047E29C444BE03C81ABF0.png

Dell U2711, Apple cinema 20"
    Aune T1 Tube amp, old hifi being used till I can afford proper speakers, Audio technica ATH-M50c headphones, Razer megalodon headphones (just for microphone these days)
    Apple aluminium fullsize wired keyboard, Razer mamba&Razer Deathadder (Depending which is working at the time)
    2 Razer goliathus mousemats, one is the speed edition, other is the 'control', switched depending which mouse is being used

PC specs:
    Asus Sabertooth X79
    3930k @ 4.4ghz, 1.32V speedstep off
    32GB G.Skill RipjawZ 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 1.5V. 8x4GB sticks
    Nvidia 580gt MSI Twin Frozr
    H100
    Corsair 850w gold fully modular psu
    Samsung 830 120gb
    Samsung 840 pro 120gb
    WD black 1TB
    Seagate Barracuda 500gb
    Bitfenix Shinobi XL

Other things, technics 1210mk2's, Ecler hak360 mixer, Serato SL3, can of lighter fluid, iphone on the table in a green lifeproof case, and yes those are ~40 school books holding up the stand the pc is on.

I need to get around to fixing the missing 2gb of ram, replacing the h100 because it's got a dodgy pump, get new quiet fans for the case because it sounds like a jet taking off, get a lot more hard drives for storage, and get proper speakers... and get a mechanical keyboard.. and a fully functional mouse.. and a microphone.. and a 144hz monitor.. I think that's about it. OH wait no, I also need a new chair because this one is crippling me. But that really is all that needs to be changed. So only most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Quite the man cave.

That chair looks comfortable as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Bazzo wrote: »
    Quite the man cave.

That chair looks comfortable as hell.

It was when new but it has lost the padding so gets quite uncomfortable, and sometimes it will randomly drop completely to the floor. There's a 5 cent coin stopping the metal rod from dropping through the bottom where ball bearings used to be. Still though MUCH better than the kitchen chair I used to sit on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Have been meaning to make the effort to post a pic or two of my cave, so here it is. Had to use the crappy camera on my Moto G as my Kodak crapped out on me. I'm a big movie fan so I like to be able to watch TV from my bed.

309902.jpg

309903.jpg

309904.jpg

My system is a little old at this point so I'm planning to upgrade to either Broadwell or Skylake, depending on how long I can hold out with my current build. From my sig: Q6600@3GHz, GA-P35-DS3R, Sapphire Radeon 6870 1GB, 4GB DDR2@800MHz, Samsung 840 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 500GB, LG 24" IPS 24EA53, LG 32" 1080p LEDTV, Plantronics Gamecom 780 Headset, Sony Stereo.

I think I have the same chair as you frozenfrozen, except it's black. Very comfy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Pics no worky.

Yeti Beast wrote: »
    Pics no worky.

I messed it up somehow :rolleyes:
    Should be working now, Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Nice setup frozenfrozen, kudos on the 1210's:)

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Will try get up a pic of my work in progress 540 Air tomorrow. Took a jigsaw to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

My current set up, only a low-mid level gaming PC but I add to it as I go so it's a constant work in progress. Motherboard and RAM are next to go with the colour scheme and maybe another fan or two.

WP_20140606_002.jpg

WP_20140606_012.jpg

WP_20140606_010.jpg

WP_20140606_009.jpg

• Advertisement

Lovely build Tazzimus. I could be wrong in this instance but I thought most case's that have a bottom mounted PSU usually draw air in from the base of the case and expel it out the back. I just noticed that your PSU is sucking air from inside the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Lovely build Tazzimus. I could be wrong in this instance but I thought most case's that have a bottom mounted PSU usually draw air in from the base of the case and expel it out the back. I just noticed that your PSU is sucking air from inside the case.
    Had trouble lining the screw holes up when it was upside down so put it in that way. Air temps seem fine since I've had it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Replacing standard watercooling tubing/compression tubing with e22 acrylic tubing. Hopefully turns out as good as I expect it too :)
    Some of the cuts i've tried so far
    20140607_163132_zpsb8e3ba63.jpg

Edit:
    I've decided to add them today to see how they fit. I think they look really well so I will order the other 16 fittings I need and finish it off :).
    I will have 26 compression fittings and some angled fittings spare now so will have to build another pc now :P
    20140607_231208_zpsbe2ffa80.jpg

Pretty much finished the first mod of my 540 Air, took a jigsaw to the top and made brackets to support 3 x 120mm fans. 3rd one is for show as I have a 240 rad up there. Would of looking stupid with just 2 fans. Nothing is really secure in these pictures hence why the top rad isnt level. Next up is to make custom fascias from acrylic and also do all the inside in acrylic :)

IMAG0357.jpg
    IMAG0358.jpg
    IMAG0359.jpg

Also sorted this out today. RGB leds powered by Molex and controlled with infared remote.

http://s10.photobucket.com/user/Blitz_Tuning/media/VIDEO0026.mp4.html

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

Blitz17 wrote: »
    Also sorted this out today. RGB leds powered by Molex and controlled with infared remote.

http://s10.photobucket.com/user/Blitz_Tuning/media/VIDEO0026.mp4.html

Thats pretty cool, any links to buy it? :)

Sort of like this dude's mod?

DSC03974.jpg

DSC05010.jpg

Sort of like this dude's mod?

DSC03974.jpg

DSC05010.jpg

Exactly dude ! Lot bigger of a job then it looks unfortunately ! There is 2 of them like that. The one you posted was made by Kier and there's another called Majestic 540 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

apologies for the crap phone pics but finally (just about) finished my rebuild into the SM8

still need to braid pcie cable but fairly happy with the results

IMG_0623.jpg
    IMG_0625.jpg
    IMG_0624.jpg
    IMG_0626.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

CaseLab cases are awesome - I really want a Mercury S8 for my next build.

Advertisement