Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

What do you need it for? That's a huge rig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Danger781 wrote: »
    What do you need it for? That's a huge rig.
    I will be using it for a mix of work and personal stuff.
    I will host a lot of test servers for work such as dc's, mail servers, backup servers, content mgt servers, hosting servers, encryption servers, anti virus servers, malware analysis labs and a few other things.

My personal stuff would just be ftp servers, web servers, teamspeak, my home domain and a chat server that I use to replace msn chat and the usual like win 7,8, mint vm's etc for testing software.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

deceit wrote: »
    I will be using it for a mix of work and personal stuff.
    I will host a lot of test servers for work such as dc's, mail servers, backup servers, content mgt servers, hosting servers, encryption servers, anti virus servers, malware analysis labs and a few other things.

My personal stuff would just be ftp servers, web servers, teamspeak, my home domain and a chat server that I use to replace msn chat and the usual like win 7,8, mint vm's etc for testing software.

I suppose you will have it in some kinda data center then?, I doubt you'd have a chance using the internet at home considering the amount of traffic you'll get.

[Rasta] wrote: »
    I suppose you will have it in some kinda data center then?, I doubt you'd have a chance using the internet at home considering the amount of traffic you'll get.
    I use it and it only typically use about 250gb per month with compression so well below what people use with torrents.
    I've had no issues when net is running stable

deceit wrote: »
    I use it and it only typically use about 250gb per month with compression so well below what people use with torrents.
    I've had no issues when net is running stable

Can confirm, use the teamspeak server regularly! :pac:

• Advertisement

Can confirm, use the teamspeak server regularly! :pac:
    When I move to this server I will have enough drives to have space to rebuild the teamspeak server. It has issues in the kernel at the moment which is causing cpu lock every few days so when is migrated will rebuild and put my upc on my ups so no downtime then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭jamesk014

Wasup guys, (Sorry if this isn't the place to ask) I've a quick question for anybody that might know a bit more than myself. I managed to get my hands on a new corsair H60 closed loop cooler. I have the intention of replacing the black ridged tubing that comes standard on it with clear tubing and refilling the loop with colored liquid just to add to the theme of the build. Its not something iv ventured into before liquid cooling and haven't got much knowledge on sourcing parts etc... i was hoping someone could maybe hazard a guess as to parts id need (fitting/tubing) and where i could easily source them as well as the die i could use. If anyone could help me id me very thankful.

jamesk014 wrote: »
    Wasup guys, (Sorry if this isn't the place to ask) I've a quick question for anybody that might know a bit more than myself. I managed to get my hands on a new corsair H60 closed loop cooler. I have the intention of replacing the black ridged tubing that comes standard on it with clear tubing and refilling the loop with colored liquid just to add to the theme of the build. Its not something iv ventured into before liquid cooling and haven't got much knowledge on sourcing parts etc... i was hoping someone could maybe hazard a guess as to parts id need (fitting/tubing) and where i could easily source them as well as the die i could use. If anyone could help me id me very thankful.

Doesnt that kind of defeat the purpose of a closed loop cooler? The whole idea of them is simplicity..

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭jamesk014

Doesnt that kind of defeat the purpose of a closed loop cooler? The whole idea of them is simplicity..

Yea man but I got it so cheap I'd just like to make a part of the build .. if you get me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

I read somewhere that most closed loop coolers, except swiftech ones or similar-which are basically a kit made up of 'standard' parts (for want of a better way of putting it..) use non-standard fittings. Chances are they are crimped on top the tubing & pump, and most def not designed to be removed. Any closed loop coolers I have had that went tits up usually meant RMA time, not much you can do, with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Hi
    I just thought I would start a thread for us to share Photos of our prides and joys

i7 4770k
    Cooler Master EVO 212
    Cooler Master CM690 III
    Zalman 600W PSU
    GTX 970 EVGA
    8GB Crucial Ballistix 1600mhz
    Gigabyte H87 DH3
    120 SSD
    1TB 3.5
    500GB 2.5
    2GB External Drive
    OS Win 8.1

PS4

jnayZH3l.jpg

Edit....The glove is for dusting only.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

20141216_145117.jpg

20141216_144711.jpg

i7 4770k @ 4.6GHz
    R9 295X2

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭TheFlidKid

gallag wrote: »
    20141216_145117.jpg

20141216_144711.jpg

i7 4770k @ 4.6GHz
    R9 295X2

How hot does that 295x2 get under load?

TheFlidKid wrote: »
    How hot does that 295x2 get under load?

about 60°c I have a 290x with a raijintek cooler that never goes above 52°c.

Jaysus! Even with the water cooler? Have a Strix 970, the fans don't even come on until it hits 67 degrees and even at that they never hit 1000 rpm!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Fair play. Love to see the higher end cards being used.

TheFlidKid wrote: »
    Jaysus! Even with the water cooler? Have a Strix 970, the fans don't even come on until it hits 67 degrees and even at that they never hit 1000 rpm!

Yeah, the nvidia 9xx are definitely more power efficient than the AMD alternate but I'd say two 970's on one PCB would get the fans spinning alright lol.

gallag wrote: »
    Yeah, the nvidia 9xx are definitely more power efficient than the AMD alternate but I'd say two 970's on one PCB would get the fans spinning alright lol.

haha definitely! Had a 280x before the 970 and the fans idled at 1000 rpm.. Just way too loud for what I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

A few changes to my system over the xmas. When I build this rig 2 years ago I was running distilled water in both loops. Got bored of that and decided to go blue Mayhems for the CPU/MB and red Mayhems for the 3 Titans.
    Also I had larger reservoirs previously which forced me to have sharp 90degree bends going into the pumps which is not supposed to be good. Now I have replaced them with smaller ones and reorientated the pumps so that the res's are feeding straight into them from the top. A neater design and should be better for the pumps.
    Evaluating a ROG swift monitor too which I mentioned below.

Still some cable tidy up to do but want to run the system for a few more days before I do that. Lighting too needs more work but I found it very hard to get it looking right in pictures. Looks a lot better and darker in reality.

16199077556_5663e5240f_c.jpg

16199079446_f5b6107267_b.jpg

16037608660_0a44996bd2_b.jpg

Have the lend of a ROG Swift Monitor as I wanted to see what gsync felt like. Quite like the responsiveness, it really is super smooth but colourwise definitely not as good as the 3 IPS panels I have.
    15602568284_1591b00430_b.jpg

The 30inch surround monitors are out of action at the moment as I try out the ROG swift. Really am warming to the Swift.
    16224156152_e6364b43dc_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

Viperirl very ****ing nice setup man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Conriocht

Yeah, great set-up. Is that an Orbweaver, viper?

Really want to try G-Sync as well - Acer have a 1440P, 144Hz IPS panel on the way. Hope it delivers.

I'm not able to edit the above post for some reason??

Anyway, meant to say that I've seen a Swift running in person, and it definitely makes a difference, but I'd like to try it for a while before splurging that kind of cash.

Conriocht wrote: »
    Yeah, great set-up. Is that an Orbweaver, viper?

Really want to try G-Sync as well - Acer have a 1440P, 144Hz IPS panel on the way. Hope it delivers.

Yeah its an Orbweaver alright. Best peripheral I ever bought. I really need it as I'm utterly useless with the WASD keys on a keyboard. With the Orbweaver I can use the thumbstick at the side for movement. Takes a bit of practice early on.

Gsync feels nice alright, no tearing whatsoever. That said, if the game is poorly optimised or is stuttery by nature, gsync isnt going to help that much. Finding Dragon Age Inq to be a little jerky here and there. Still going through my games to find out more.
    What I really want is a 34inch superwide with gsync. If that came along I'd probably ditch the 30inch monitors in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Samsung should have what you're after shortly. They might already, I'm actually not sure.

Samsung have one coming out at the end of the month alright, a curved VA panel. No mention of gsync though.
    Asus announced at the CES that they are releasing a 4k version of the Swift. Still 27 inch though. Surely 4k only makes sense at 30inch and above.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

viperirl wrote: »
    Samsung have one coming out at the end of the month alright, a curved VA panel. No mention of gsync though.
    Asus announced at the CES that they are releasing a 4k version of the Swift. Still 27 inch though. Surely 4k only makes sense at 30inch and above.

LG have a 34" ultrawide ready to go at CES with freesync, but I wouldn't bet on availability any time soon. I have the um95 myself now and i think it is just fantastic.

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/peripherals/lg-hopes-amd-freesync-will-make-its-new-ultrawide-gaming-monitor-a-smooth-operator-1278520

PS. the Samsung VA screen has some issues with response times I beleive

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    LG have a 34" ultrawide ready to go at CES with freesync, but I wouldn't bet on availability any time soon. I have the um95 myself now and i think it is just fantastic.

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/peripherals/lg-hopes-amd-freesync-will-make-its-new-ultrawide-gaming-monitor-a-smooth-operator-1278520

PS. the Samsung VA screen has some issues with response times I beleive

I will replace my eyefinity setup with that monitor when its released :D

viperirl wrote: »
    Yeah its an Orbweaver alright. Best peripheral I ever bought. I really need it as I'm utterly useless with the WASD keys on a keyboard. With the Orbweaver I can use the thumbstick at the side for movement. Takes a bit of practice early on.

I might look into one so. My current keyboard is on it's last, um, keys? But like yourself, I never really got on with WASD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

tumblr_nkuiz3UMu01s5x79oo1_540.jpg
    tumblr_nkuiz3UMu01s5x79oo2_540.jpg
    tumblr_nkuiz3UMu01s5x79oo3_540.jpg
    tumblr_nkuiz3UMu01s5x79oo4_540.jpg

1TB HDD
    128GB SSD
    8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
    ASUS R9 290
    Gigabye G1 Sniper Motherboard
    i5 3570K

Does great for me in games, that GPU is loud as hell though. :pac: