Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

deejer wrote: »
    Well id certainly consider giving her a new home!
    I've no plans to get rid of it at the moment but If I change my mind you will be the first to know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Little question from me, looking at so many builds and setups.

Speakers....as a gamer, speakers have never been a thing for me. I've a good set of gaming headphones, and not being an audiophile, not sure how much better sound can get. Most my gaming is done late night with the misses and baby in bed, so headphones really are a must.

But I'm just wondering what sort of sound setups people have. I wouldn't be mad on spending big cash, but I've a lot of room on my desk, that speakers could fit nicely. And I guess I do game during the evenings and weekends where maybe speakers would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

TheDoc wrote: »
    Little question from me, looking at so many builds and setups.

Speakers....as a gamer, speakers have never been a thing for me. I've a good set of gaming headphones, and not being an audiophile, not sure how much better sound can get. Most my gaming is done late night with the misses and baby in bed, so headphones really are a must.

But I'm just wondering what sort of sound setups people have. I wouldn't be mad on spending big cash, but I've a lot of room on my desk, that speakers could fit nicely. And I guess I do game during the evenings and weekends where maybe speakers would be nice

I've got a Denon M38 -> Mordaunt Short Aviano 2. For games where the sound is critical(CS:GO mostly), I prefer my headphones. For games with sound isn't as critical and more part of the experience(Shadow of Mordor, Dishonored, Far Cry etc etc) I love my speakers. Both definitely have their place

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I have a Logitech Z-906 5.1 set, that I use for pretty much everything. I've swapped the two front speakers for a pair of Dali Zensor 1's though, which made a massive difference for music (stereo).

Those run through an Auzentech X-Fi Frote (sadly not made any more), just for some extra software control and a few other bits. Also has a headphone amp which is nice.

As for headpones, for gaming and Skype, I have a Corsair Vengeance 2000 headset. (PSA: Wireless is fantastic), as well as a set of Sennheiser RS180's, which don't get much use as they're kind of an effort to switch to in comparison to the Corsair.

For my main set of music headphones, I use my trusty HD595's however.

Wow, no way I could see myself spending money on that stuff. Is there any maybe low budget entry level stuff you'd recommend?

I've cash to spend, but audio is never really something I've really thought off. I've never had speakers, my TV in my living room just shoots sound from the TV speakers, my PC I've just always had gaming headsets. I think once I had a pair of sennheisers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Depends, what sort of money would you be spending?

Serephucus wrote: »
    Depends, what sort of money would you be spending?

Wouldn't have a budget for say, only even gave this a thought today seeing so many rigs with speakers here and on reddit.

Sub €100 would be pretty ideal I guess, considering I'd only get to use them a few times a week. Mechanical keyboard already is giving me grief from herself, god knows what speakers would do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

TheDoc wrote: »
    Wouldn't have a budget for say, only even gave this a thought today seeing so many rigs with speakers here and on reddit.

Sub €100 would be pretty ideal I guess, considering I'd only get to use them a few times a week. Mechanical keyboard already is giving me grief from herself, god knows what speakers would do

I got the Logitech Z506 5.1 setup. I paid $80 AUD for them a few weeks ago, but I think I see them around the €90 back in Ireland. Still a great setup for the price. The sound from mine is brilliant.

Edit I've also got my second 970 delivered yesterday. Put it in last night and ran some tests. I stabilised it @ 4000mhz each in unigine but didn't like that frequency in Arma 3 or any other games. I've so far stabilised it at OC 220 on base clock which is about 3800mhz on each card. On Ultra settings im hitting right about the 45-55 fps in game on a 28" 2160p resolution running about 55 on bottom card and 65 degrees on card above. Might look at pushing my CPU up as I've not overclocked. See if that improves things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Have not updated here in a while. Basically the same system. I sold the Tri sli 680 and got a 980 gtx. Then got another mispriced in the cyber Monday sales for 300 euro, would have liked them both to have the same cooler but at that price I could not turn it down. Runs everything very well at the moment. Not feeling any major urgency to upgrade anything soon. I will wait to see the next launch of Intel processors.

Spec:
    • Asus Rampage IV Formula Sandy Briudge E
    • 3930K @ 4400 - 4700 Mhz no additional voltage needed.
    • Corsair H100i
    • Corsair Obsisian 800d case
    • Corsair AX1200i PSU
    • 32 gb Patriot 1866 DDR3 in Quad Channel.
    • Samsung 840 pro boot SSD
    • Crucual POS SSD 256gb for current games
    • 3tb HDD for Storage
    • SLI 2 X Nvidia 980 GTX 4gb
    • Korean 2560 X 1600 Monitor 30 inch
    • Creative Titanium HD
    • Sony 7.1 Decoder on optical out.
    • Bose Acoustmas III 5.1 System
    • Corsair Cherry red Keyboard
    • Old Logitech Mouse but I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

GTX 980. Then got another mispriced in the cyber Monday sales for 300 euro

When was this? Would have loved to get one of them but they are expensive and would have picked one up at that price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

It was November 2014 from Scan.co.uk, saw it on this forums bargain alerts and I though it was a pricing error, ordered thinking it would be cancelled, but 3 days laters it arrived in the post. Now it was a 3 slot gainworld version so maybe they just could not shift them?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

so i finaly water cooled my rig.

11251380_992475064098844_1718705507579235774_n_zpstuklvh9v.jpg

11245500_992475050765512_4175046017287192689_n_zps6fkl1cva.jpg

11209741_992475020765515_6790052167676759529_n_zpsvxjtmngl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nice. Any reason you went for such a small res?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

ED E wrote: »

I was thinking that myself, especially when there is plenty of room for a larger one.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

ED E wrote: »
    I was thinking that myself, especially when there is plenty of room for a larger one.

i was on a budge and that was one that i picked up on adverts with the EK 360mm rad for €90. i have plans of upgrading when the funds come free but for now that is what i have to work with.

Few Projects I have on the go along with my main rig:
    The prodigy rig has a really noisy pump after putting it together so I will have to strip it down again to replace :(
    I got that
    Phobya WaCoolT Cube 1
    case for free while picking up my v10 case :)
    Needs a bit of work but gives me an excuse to try sandblasting and learn to spray/mod :).
    The phase change unit will be used for a bench rig so I can have some fun :)
    Also my temp position for my networking gear while I configure it correctly.
    I will set up the watchguard firewall over the weekend and correctly set up the cisco 48 port gig switch :)

11245455_10153352972386204_1751401330_n_zpstef5vnee.jpg
    11258575_10153352976506204_1276956896_n_zpsusuhli7t.jpg
    11264368_10153352970501204_1979950893_n_zpsygmju0ep.jpg
    11257602_10153352971311204_740887165_n_zpsxsltrxbj.jpg
    11267153_10153352976861204_1205349865_n_zpshpejy47x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Will actually finally get around to starting my Media/Game-Streaming server and personal VR PC builds this Summer and Autumn respectively after 18 months of deliberations and delays. ie. Doing it but deciding to wait for X product launch or Y product launch, then for a while scaling back the ambitiousness of the plans due to apparent costs or erroneous thinking that a cherished part of the plan would not be possible like I thought etc.

Anyway, over the last few weeks when our families dire need for more storage put PC's back to the top of my mental agenda, I revisited the old plans and did more research.

Turns out there'll be no Broadwell-E and Skylake-E won't be out till Late 2016/early 2017 so nothing on the horizon worth holding back the server project for assuming I wanted/needed more than 4 Hyperthreaded cores. I also discovered that while on the surface an ASrock X99 Extreme11 is an uber expensive board it actually effectively would cost me no more than a lesser board because its 18 on board Sata Ports negated the need for 2 of the 3 Sas/Sata controller cards I'd need for my 27 Bay server idea, and its PLX chips that add PCI-E lanes negated the need for the €200 more expensive 5930K over the 5820K. Both of these also meant it was game-on again with regard to PCI-E physical slots and lanes for a multi-GPU setup.

Basically I realised I could meet all my original design and functionality goals after all and it wasn't going to break the bank.

13883124391_5947253ded_z.jpg

13883124191_9094300458_z.jpg

13906245685_02aeae8ecd_z.jpg

13883123822_377c461f72_z.jpg

During my research of X99 again for the server I realised that a 5820K was surprisingly only €100 more expensive than a Z97 Devils Canyon and that the mobo's weren't that much more expensive either and that ASrock had just brought out a M-ITX X99 board. I wanted to see could I use X99 and a 5820K in a SFF VR Custom PC whose design I'd had swimming around my head since the Mac PRo 2014 model came out. I think it could work!

17310500063_f4cce10abf_z.jpg

17308424414_24a7b6fb3f_z.jpg

17308424284_fd619a9b44_z.jpg

17308424074_6e7b87f613_z.jpg

17930993975_1d81e420a1_z.jpg

Basically, by only slightly bending the Noctua NH-D14 heatpipes to move each tower 1 cm, I gain enough of a gap to interlock the pair of heatsinks together. The light Mobo and GPU hanging off the heatsinks instead of the other way round mean that even if I can't fab some custom heatsink brackets, even a ghetto-mod zip-tie solution could work.

I worried that the GPU heatsink airflow mixing with the CPU heatsink airflow in this stack arrangement might be a problem and cause it to run hotter but I wonder is that really a problem given the monoblock heatsink of a Mac Pro is shared between the CPU and GPU's? Maybe the 147cfm of 2x Push/Pull 200mm Bitfenix Spectre Pro is more than enough to move enough air for this not to be a major concern?

I wonder will this design with these 2x 900 RPM 27db rated fans make for a very quiet powerful little PC or will it sound like a turbine engine? :D

At one point I thought maybe I should just go AIO water, surely it would make for a smaller enclosure right? Played around with some 3D radiator models and it turns out only 2 120mm/25mm H60's would fit in the same volume and 2 H100's 240mm/25mm would require a bigger enclosure whereupon one reaches a point where one might as well just build in the likes of a Bitfenix Prodigy etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

for the mac trashcan id say no mechanical drive it would sound like a wasp stuck in a coke can

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

http://imgur.com/gallery/W81bDi3
    Not mine but seen this on imgur and thought it was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

some of the comments under that are gold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭satguy

My son likes to change things around when it comes to his PC ..

This is a nice VID , with me on camera, I had bought him a new case some weeks ago, and he got tired of it taking up space in his room..
    So for the young builders out there, you might enjoy this build.. ( Start them young )

It would cost about €800 to build this yourself.

Enjoy..

Give me back my bedroom..!

CG6aws3XEAEF1T4.jpg:large

CG6YPoNWwAAWkRu.jpg:large

My son has the spare room tied up,, full time..

Just some more work in progress on my main rig, finally its actually starting to look nice, still a lot more to go.
    Me and Chewythefirst worked on it Sunday :)
    When I get the looks finished I will pick up 2 gtx 980ti's or 2 of Amd Fiji cards when out.
    It was like this at the last update and did not look nice at all:
    IMAG0226_zpscpy9bvk5.jpg

IMAG0337_zpsumkdmkc8.jpg

It is now slowly taking shape
    I still need fix the bottom front fan, put a small lcd in the front where I removed the phase change lcd, do cable management and a few other bits.
    When I get it looking right I will work on performance :)
    IMAG0348_zpsrdfz1vrf.jpg

IMAG0350_zpsnf5imkve.jpg

IMAG0338_zpsxqp2milh.jpg

Its now completely hard tubing throughout the case and looks a lot better
    IMAG0342_zps75gp7bxs.jpg

IMAG0344_zpsxlzqnj5k.jpg

My Son about to start a mid range gaming PC ,,

CHFnau6WgAMssJ5.jpg:large
    CHFoThRW8AAnvpf.jpg:large

That athlon x4 860K is a nice cpu for the price, he got it on Amazon for €52 on sale,,

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

great work above deceit. I see you've changed your mobo too. You had a Rampage 4 before if I remember correctly.

viperirl wrote: »
    great work above deceit. I see you've changed your mobo too. You had a Rampage 4 before if I remember correctly.
    Yea, I did have a Rampage 4 before with an i7 3820. I'm now using a 5820k, msi x99 sli board and 32gb ddr4.
    The only thing that hasn't been changed in the pc since that build is the graphics card/block, cpu block and pumps and rads.

It may not look like it but I changed:
    cpu 3820 to a 5820k
    mobo rampage iv to an msi x99 sli board
    ram 1600mhz gskill 32gb ddr3 to 2400mhz gskill 32gb ddr4
    psu (To another ax1200 :) )
    ssd 128gb 840 pro to a 500gb 850
    Case from a little devil v8 to a slightly bigger v10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Son looks super happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Right so here is my little build, it aint anything fancy but I said id share it as its my first proper gaming build and done on a pretty small budget.

vzg30o.jpg

2zzuxig.jpg

j9lfmu.jpg

I started off by buying a non working hp desktop on facebook for 50 quid it had an i5 2400 cpu in it that was perfect and 4gb of ram. I sold the ram for 20 euro on adverts.

Next up I bought a cheap mobo for 50 quid on dabs I was originally wanting a small case so I went with an matx board.

Next I got an Evega 500w psu for another 50 on dabs but when I was searching for it I was browsing threw their clearance stock and I found a gtx770 for a bargain 160 quid it was new but box was damaged and have 6 months warranty was delighted with that.

Then came the case I wanted something plain and not really flashy as im using it in the sitting room for HTPC also so i was searching on adverts and found a Bitfenix Ronin case only couple months old for 50 euro and got 8gb or corsair ram for 40 quid also.

I had 3 1tb hard drives here from old pcs id bought and my next upgrade is an ssd and to sort out the cables for the hard drives.

So all together it cost me 400 there abouts not bad for a machine that plays most new games at max settings anf 60fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

That is one amazing build for the price :O Nice work finding all those bargains! Plenty of room to upgrade in the future :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Xenoronin wrote: »
    That is one amazing build for the price :O Nice work finding all those bargains! Plenty of room to upgrade in the future :D

Cheers mate it was a bit of luck mostly and didn't rush out and buy straight away took about two months to get it all together.

yhh ill keep the case no matter what I love it and when the new range come out ill probably go for a full size mobo and a new cpu and up grade the graphics card to something newer.

Advertisement