Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Bitfenix Phemon
    i5-4690
    R9 270X

just tidied it up a bit tonight after new HDD went in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

That's a tight fit. o_o
    Never saw that positioning on a PSU before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Xenoronin wrote: »
    That's a tight fit. o_o

I'm surprised a psu fits in them to start with ha. They are a lovely case for the size of them.

They seem to be a few different layouts inside the phenom I was looking at them when getting my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Xenoronin wrote: »
    That's a tight fit. o_o

thats what happens when i leave it so late and worry to much about tidy cables in a such a small space ... its in backwards :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 54,181 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

BKmizCLl.jpg

ukD6q5hl.jpg

ukD6q5hl.jpg

eDZCUkCl.jpg

g4dqC6Ul.jpg

u6N4UZRl.jpg

BKmizCLl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Decided to do a little cosmetic upgrade. Fan controller, some white cables and ram. I think it sets it off nice.

md5RW4Ul.jpg

kAKvVdFl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I like the fan controller, been looking at some this week for my next upgrade with some fans. Any particular models that are good or better?

I was looking at one that had a 2.5 data hard drive slot in it that I would use a lot but never heard of the make before so was a bit cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Finished the build on tuesday but only managed to get a proper go of this beast now. It's not complete, needs a few cosmetic upgrades.

Specs.

i5 4690k (stock clock but will OC in the future)
    16gb Kingston HyperX RAM
    MSI z97s Krait mobo
    Gigabyte G1 970
    Bx100 ssd
    Thermaltake SE 630w psu
    Enermax Liqmax ii 120m
    Nzxt s340 case.

Temps seem pretty good with this cooler, but then again I don't know what pretty good is. Idle at around 28-30c and When I played DayZ which is a Cpu intensive game it only went up to 50-52c. good/bad? probably not a good enough stress test. I was really paranoid about applying the thermal paste wrong.

here is some pics for now, I plan on adding white LEDs and white PCIe cable for the GPU.

cant post pics directly because they are too big and stretch the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

You linked your images wrong - You linked to a gallery which wont work with image tags :o

What monitor is that? Looks lovely..

Edit: You fixed it

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Haha yeah sorry about that, pics were huge for a second so I just put them in as attachments.

The monitor is the LG 29um65. Have to say it is glorious so far, I've had about 5-10 hours gameplay on it so far and there is a huge difference from a normal monitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

Just after doing a little upgrade to my main PC. Its mainly used for video rendering and a little gaming too. Specs are:
    Intel Xeon E3-1231V3
    AsRock B85 Killer Motherboard
    12GB Crucial Ballistix RAM at 1600mhz
    Corsair Carbide 300R case with custom Perspex Panel
    Corsair CX600 PSU covered with a metal PSU shroud
    MSI Gamers GTX 660
    CoolerMaster 212 Evo with top fin painted black
    Wifi Card and Homeplugs
    Kingston Value SSD 120GB
    2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda,
    500GB WD Green,
    6x BeQuiet PureWings 120MM Fans
    3.5" Memory card reader
    NZXT Sentry 2 Fan controller
    Full RGB lighting fitted

Then a LG 24" Monitor, Corsair M65 mouse and my K70 is being refurbed at the minute as it got damaged. Minions on top of the case because every Evil Genius needs some minions :P

11406214_719004321562638_6626291723994316431_o_zpskhgd4nrs.jpg
    906076_719004161562654_6133031818306309233_o_zpst6y1c1oy.jpg
    11187256_719004118229325_1580923829809778216_o_zpsbjz8hyzg.jpg
    10012017_719004084895995_5542973013446460196_o_zpslskh127r.jpg
    11539007_719004258229311_2741285421561216290_o_zpssedla0hi.jpg

I reckon I did a pretty decent job on cable management but I may tidy it up again in the near future. Thoughts and constructive criticism welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Just bought a gigabyte 980Ti gaming and sold my SLi 970 MSI. Nothing against MSI just what was available and read they're comparable.

Instantly found it a much better option. In the future might consider SLi but this is a tank of a card..

Playing games 2160p is finally going well for me hitting between 50-70fps in any game I've thrown at it yet on ultra/high settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Recurve360 wrote: »
    Just after doing a little upgrade to my main PC. Its mainly used for video rendering and a little gaming too. Specs are:
    Intel Xeon E3-1231V3
    AsRock B85 Killer Motherboard
    12GB Crucial Ballistix RAM at 1600mhz
    Corsair Carbide 300R case with custom Perspex Panel
    Corsair CX600 PSU covered with a metal PSU shroud
    MSI Gamers GTX 660
    CoolerMaster 212 Evo with top fin painted black
    Wifi Card and Homeplugs
    Kingston Value SSD 120GB
    2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda,
    500GB WD Green,
    6x BeQuiet PureWings 120MM Fans
    3.5" Memory card reader
    NZXT Sentry 2 Fan controller
    Full RGB lighting fitted

Then a LG 24" Monitor, Corsair M65 mouse and my K70 is being refurbed at the minute as it got damaged. Minions on top of the case because every Evil Genius needs some minions :P

I reckon I did a pretty decent job on cable management but I may tidy it up again in the near future. Thoughts and constructive criticism welcome :)

What did you use for the lighting around the case? Looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

Ant695 wrote: »
    What did you use for the lighting around the case? Looks good.

Cheers dude :)
    I used a generic 5050 rgb lighting kit from ebay. It required a little modding to add a molex to it but its pretty easy to do tbh.
    If your interested in doing something similar here is a guide on how to do it properly and it also has links to the right kind of lighting strip to use.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18575513

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

I used a generic 5050 rgb lighting kit from ebay. It required a little modding to add a molex to it but its pretty easy to do tbh.
    If your interested in doing something similar here is a guide on how to do it properly and it also has links to the right kind of lighting strip to use.

Cheers for the link. Think ill have a go at that. Looks better than just using cold cathodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

finally got my waterblock on the 980ti. Doing a little stress testing before I tidy up and put the covers back on. Case looks a bit empty since the tri-sli titans were removed. Glad to say that the 980ti is a far far better overclocker than my older cards were. Boosting up to around 1500Mhz with temps around 37c.

_DSC1273_zpsw5cmtqqx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I have this as well. Great piece of kit for the price. Loads left over as well for a second pc, thing you can order the control unit on it's own so could do up a second one handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I have this as well. Great piece of kit for the price. Loads left over as well for a second pc, thing you can order the control unit on it's own so could do up a second one handy enough.

Soldering?

Someone posted me a link to an ebay seller who was selling light strips for a few euro, and came with dual sided connectors.

Got myself two and my PC has a nice purple colour coming from it. Will post pics later actually.

But why would you bother with soldering for incase lighting when there are so many options of literally "stick this in your case and plug in". Something I'm missing? Sounds like unnecessary effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

TheDoc wrote: »
    Soldering?

Someone posted me a link to an ebay seller who was selling light strips for a few euro, and came with dual sided connectors.

Got myself two and my PC has a nice purple colour coming from it. Will post pics later actually.

But why would you bother with soldering for incase lighting when there are so many options of literally "stick this in your case and plug in". Something I'm missing? Sounds like unnecessary effort.
    Was just thinking about them earlier today. Got a link to that post?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

Soldering?

if you still have the link throw it up there, i was looking for one of these for a while now just didnt know what one to get.

• Advertisement

Was just thinking about them earlier today. Got a link to that post?

This is what I bought of ebay, although from having a quick look around you can get them cheaper again. Someone just gave me that link so went ahead with it.

Like with anything for that price, the "stickyness" can be suspect. I had one line stuck to the top pf the case but it kept falling off.

Although I have strips of good double sided sticky stuff that I b ought to hang up IKEA LEDS on my table, so used that and it was fine, although in the end moved it from top to bottom, with another on the side and it gives a great colour.

Will post up a pic later, have this (well I think) cool purple colour going around my PC, Desk and side desk.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181065729513?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm thinking about going with the NZXT Hue. Been himming and hawing for a while and it's £25 on Amazon.
    the only way I could get it in my case is if I take out the DVD drive of my card reader. I would need an enclosure for that to use it via usb. Easy to do? Are dvd drive enclosures one-size-fits-all?

I'm thinking about going with the NZXT Hue. Been himming and hawing for a while and it's £25 on Amazon.
    the only way I could get it in my case is if I take out the DVD drive of my card reader. I would need an enclosure for that to use it via usb. Easy to do? Are dvd drive enclosures one-size-fits-all?

i found the NZXT heu on sale on overclockers, i am going to pick one up.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-115-NX

Soldering?

The ebay kit is a good bit cheaper than most of the made for pc kits I've seen and it's much longer, plus the pc ones tend to be one colour. The ebay set is multi coloured so you can change it around if you want.

The soldering takes less than a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭MagTuired

Don't know much about LED strips and that, but would this adaptor work with one of those LED strips Taz and the rest are talking about? So that you can use it inside your PC?

http://www.banggood.com/2-Pins-Power-Connector-Adaptor-For-35285050-Led-Strip-Wire-With-PCB-p-963349.html

i found the NZXT heu on sale on overclockers, i am going to pick one up.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-115-NX

Does that include lighting or is it just a controller

Camera phone quality, but here is the my PC lighting, and led lighting from the strips I bought in IKEA, its pretty bright like so this just shows how good they are

VEyaEPEd2XNA9CErmoAz8tJfI0kqSUQdcO5b8HYjdlE=w1311-h983-no

MY30T2MEqPFKJiqzDQ543r_5uXt7Z9srYHTPkqdzN1M=w1311-h983-no

53kWMJaXVZeri-gfFQa5aDHqpaT9FlwKWrRUUI0GRnU=w738-h983-no

MagTuired wrote: »
    Don't know much about LED strips and that, but would this adaptor work with one of those LED strips Taz and the rest are talking about? So that you can use it inside your PC?

http://www.banggood.com/2-Pins-Power-Connector-Adaptor-For-35285050-Led-Strip-Wire-With-PCB-p-963349.html
    It's more a molex connector you want for it, I had a spare one floating around that I used.

Solder the wires coming from the molex connector to the wires on the controller and you're good to go. It's just so they're running off pc power instead of separate mains.
    The thread Recurve linked has it all in detail, very easy to follow.

Does that include lighting or is it just a controller

Camera phone quality, but here is the my PC lighting, and led lighting from the strips I bought in IKEA, its pretty bright like so this just shows how good they are
    It included both the controller and the strip. Amazon have price matched it so I went with them.

It included both the controller and the strip. Amazon have price matched it so I went with them.

me and my house mate are buying this from ovcerclockers so it works that way for us :)

what did you do about the fact that it was £19.99 and free deliver is for £20 and up? what else did you get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nice monster habit you got there Doc :pac:

Advertisement