Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The hacker's diet

Options
  • 13-07-2008 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

I read a book about the so-called hacker's diet and found it very logical.
    It's basically eat-less diet(meaning count your calories and eat less than you burn). The author also states that physical exercises are useless and have no impact on weightloss. However he advises them as a part of healthy lifestyle.
    I'm wondering if anyone heard about it or maybe even tried it? What are your thoughts on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Aseth wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on it?

Tell you what.....my thoughts on this bit....
    The author also states that physical exercises are useless and have no impact on weightloss.

The author's a f*ckwit.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Aseth

I'm sorry but I's rather hear sth more constructive.
    Now I'm not dying to just prove my point but here are the figures after the book, so according to the author:
    after an hour of bicycling you burn about 300 kcal,400 for aerobics and swimming,500 for basketball and 700 for jogging. While 3 slices of pizza are 500 kcal and BigMac is about 560,2 casn of beer is about 300 and ice cream cone 220.
    His point is you would have to do those physical activities for an hour non stop. If you play tennis then every day of a week you could loose 1 pound a week without dieting. but he also says that not many are so strong willed so you'll probably exercise 2-3 times a week, but he doubts anyone can play 1 hour without stop, so whatever you will burn thanks to exercises is not worth it.
    He says that exercise will speed up metabolism and is great for your health but not as a way to loose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

so whatever you will burn thanks to exercises is not worth it.

That's very very different to what you said in your first post.

My own experience is that if I want to lose weight, the sums are obvious; I need to create a calorie deficit of 400 or more calories a day. It's a lot easier to do this with exercise than without.

edit: I found this even moreso when I was trying to have a fairly large calorie deficit (around 1000 calories a day). I honestly felt I'd be eating nothing if I didn't exercise during the day. Different strokes for different folks, but 500 calories can be a lot of tasty nutritious food instead of 3 slices of pizza. A 500 calorie bowl of museli would keep you going for a long time for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

He says that exercise will speed up metabolism and is great for your health but not as a way to loose weight.
    Increasing your basal metabolic rate is a excellent way to help you lose fat.

His point is you would have to do those physical activities for an hour non stop.

If I build muscle my metabolic rate is increased, not just for an hour nonstop, but 24/7 nonstop. So I am burning more calories.

Of course you can lose fat by just eating less, without exercise you will also lose muscle mass and decrease your metabolism, which in turn can lead to yo-yo dieting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I read a book about the so-called hacker's diet and found it very logical.
    It's basically eat-less diet(meaning count your calories and eat less than you burn)

Isn't that the point of every diet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

The author also states that physical exercises are useless and have no impact on weightloss.

With all due respect to the author ( in this case, none ) this line instantly tells me the person is a moron who would rather differentiate themselves in the market by being "odd" than offering any decent advice.

I imagine this book was written purely to see, not to actually help anyone.

Also, the fact that the author made no reference, or at least yo did not mention it, to the speed up of metabolic rate being anywhere up to 8 to 12 hours, not just for the time that you are excercise ( it will slowly drop off over time, not instantly ) tells me they haven't a notion.

Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

why in the name of god would you want to look else where if you need dietary advice - its all in the bloody stickies and in the fitness forum.

If the info has made it to a book then its old news and not too worth while - stick to the stickies

Advertisement