Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

healthy lunch options??

• 13-07-2008 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy all,

I've finally decided to get my ass in gear and improve me diet and hit the gym again....i've been a lazy lump long enough!!

BUT i work away from home a lot and am not office based. i often have very early starts in the morning so sometimes i dont have time to prepare lunch to bring with me; added to which i like to stop up and go somewhere for lunch as it gets me out of the car.

So my question is this:

Whats a healthy option in a restaurant for lunch?

apart from salad??

Is soup and some brown bread good; homemade nice soup no cream??

Its something i like quite q lot and would happily have just soup for lunch, but if theres a healthier option id like to choose that instead, and get myself into shape again!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

I know that people will disagree with me here but I go to Subway and it works for me. They have a number of 6 inch subs under 6 grams of fat. I usually stick to ones that are under 350 calories (can depend on how my day is looking), plenty of salad (skip the gerkin and jalepenos), maybe a little sauce. Find it a much better than deli's where one demi baguette (roughly 12 inches) is 400 calories before you add butter/mayo or any fillings> :eek:

Check out the top section here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I would go for soup, salad with chicken if possible or some lean meat or fish without sauce and vegetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

maybe make it the night before. If you are feeling bored with similar stuff all the time, I love this website for bring food http://justbento.com/

if you are buying food apart from salad maybe have your large meal during the day meat or fish with veg and then it does both in that it gets you out of your car but also you are eating better than sandwiches. Then when you get home in the evening have something smaller. or if you want to go for something smaller omelettes, non pre made soup (insomnia do a very good one), baked potato with salad or salsa is nice and filling also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

The Avenmore soup is very nice and quite low-cal, a decent bowl is 115 calories if you have the tomato one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Piste wrote: »
    The Avenmore soup is very nice and quite low-cal, a decent bowl is 115 calories if you have the tomato one.

Agreed - their Carrot And Coriander Soup is delicious too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

eve wrote: »
    I know that people will disagree with me here but I go to Subway and it works for me. They have a number of 6 inch subs under 6 grams of fat. I usually stick to ones that are under 350 calories (can depend on how my day is looking), plenty of salad (skip the gerkin and jalepenos), maybe a little sauce. Find it a much better than deli's where one demi baguette (roughly 12 inches) is 400 calories before you add butter/mayo or any fillings> :eek:

Check out the top section here

I doubt anyone can seriously disagree especially since their advertising in the US has reflected this for years. Ever hear of the Subway Diet? A Fat kid called Jared started eating nothing but Subway and lost a load of weight. He went on Oprah about it, i saw the show years ago, must have been off sick or something. Anyway roll in a bit and Subway hire him to do commercials and in fact i still see him on TV when im in the US.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/03/02/48hours/main603484.shtml

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I'm sure Jared was on ads in ireland too a few years ago. Yes subway is a great option as you get a load of salad and not many calories. You'll get the usual crew in here moaning about the bread but again it's light enough in cals compared to other breads. Jalapenos loaded ftw.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X0wH-pe-ZN0&feature=related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭olaola

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Jalapenos loaded ftw.

Their Jalapenos taste hotter than the jars you buy yourself... all the better!
    Anyhoo - you can load up on the low calorie tasty 'wet' veg - so you don't have to put mayo or dressing on it.
    O'Briens is ok for this too - and you can get ballymaloe relish here also.

Advertisement