Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Track Pump

Options
  • 13-07-2008 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

I'm a newbie to cycling. Anywho, got my bike and all and popped in Argos for a track pump. This one here: http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=30001&partNumber=0362827

Now either I'm crap at using it or it's just crap. It seems hard to get a decent reading from the meter. Sometimes it does hold a reading but other times it will change if I play around with it and the valve. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or not.

Another thing is I can't seem to pump a tyre up past 60 psi. Again I realise I may be doing something wrong or perhaps it is the pump thats just crap.
    Any opinions? Surely a track pump should be capable of the job???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

Bring it back and get this one instead.
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=30001&langId=-1&catalogId=1500001101&productId=1500188185&Trail=C%24cip%3D1500012750.Sports%2Band%2Bfitness%3EC%24cip%3D1500012760.Bikes%2Band%2Bcycling%3EC%24cip%3D1500012766.Cycle%2Bpumps&categoryId=1500012766&clickfrom=image
    I've had it for just over 4 years now and it works fine. It's not the most accurate gauge in the world, but it's grand. There's no point paying big money for things just yet.

If you want what they use in bike shops try this.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1608

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Stark wrote: »

I actually bought this one a few weeks ago and it's excellent, as is the quick and free delivery from CRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thesunwashot

+1 on the Joe Blow. Well worth the cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Cheers lads. This place is invaluable to newbies!!

So its definitely not anything i'm doing wrong? You'd think (well I did anyway) that a pump would be up for the job, as long as its not pure dirt cheap. I deliberately got the more expensive one in Argos, thinking the extra tenner might be worth it.

So now I have a tire that read only 60psi when I pumped it. It doesn't feel too different to the front one which is still 'full' from the shop. Hmmm. Yeah I might just get one of the Joe Blows. Think I seen em in Halfords.

Thaks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Chris Peak wrote: »
    Bring it back and get this one instead.
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=30001&langId=-1&catalogId=1500001101&productId=1500188185&Trail=C%24cip%3D1500012750.Sports%2Band%2Bfitness%3EC%24cip%3D1500012760.Bikes%2Band%2Bcycling%3EC%24cip%3D1500012766.Cycle%2Bpumps&categoryId=1500012766&clickfrom=image
    I've had it for just over 4 years now and it works fine. It's not the most accurate gauge in the world, but it's grand. There's no point paying big money for things just yet.

If you want what they use in bike shops try this.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1608
    I have that Beto/Cyclepro pump that Chris linked. It certainly inflates as far as you like (have to use a presta-schraeder adapter though- indeed that might be your whole problem?) but as Chris says the gauge is crap. I'm planning on buying that Joe Blow Sport to get an accurate gauge.

blorg wrote: »
    (have to use a presta-schraeder adapter though- indeed that might be your whole problem?)

Yeah I have the adaptor so I'll try using that later today and see if I get any joy from it.

I want my tyres back at proper pressure!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Bambaata

i always struggle with my pump getting the connection off without letting too much air out! Mine seems to really grip it sometimes and if i do even manage to get it off quick i almost always bash my hand trying to get it off! i think i need a new one anyway cos when it gets to about 115/120 it starts lettin air out itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

+1 on the Joe Blow. Well worth the cash
    Agreed. I am annoyed that I waited so long to buy a track pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

BBB ( Bills Bike Babes ) is excellent imo

• Advertisement

BBB stuff is generally very good quality so I wouldn't be surprised. Just ordered the Joe Blow Sprint from CRC (£29.99), reckoned the top-mount gauge and pressure release button were worth the extra fiver over the sport.

Speaking of pumps, does anyone else have trouble removing the pump without releasing air? I always get an escape of air as soon as I release the thumb lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Speaking of pumps, does anyone else have trouble removing the pump without releasing air? I always get an escape of air as soon as I release the thumb lock.

Mine always lets a small bit out, so I pump my tyres a little past 100psi, to account for the loss

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

A lot of that air spewing out is probably from the pump. At least on the track pump I use, there seems to be an air pocket in the pump itself, which of course goes up to the same pressure as the air in the tyre. When the pump is removed, this high pressure air from the pump shoots out.

Mine always lets a small bit out, so I pump my tyres a little past 100psi, to account for the loss

So I’ve been ruining my ‘prospects’ with over inflated (110psi) tyres? :eek:

So I’ve been ruining my ‘prospects’ with over inflated (110psi) tyres? :eek:

Not at all -racing tyres can take over 100psi, I just keep em around that cos I'm a Clydesdale (or should I say a fatty!) :)

The recommended pressure on my tyres (23mm) is 110psi.

Not at all -racing tyres can take over 100psi, I just keep em around that cos I'm a Clydesdale (or should I say a fatty!) :)
    Heavier riders should inflate to higher pressures than lighter riders, not the other way around. If you think about this for a second it makes perfect sense (as you put more downward pressure on the bike your tyres deform more, and you need higher pressures to counteract this.)

A handy chart from Michelin:

pressurechart121405B.jpg

That's a very handy chart, thank you. Pity it only goes up to 82kg and not 90:eek:

Since getting back on the road bike, it seems like nothing is going right.

If it’s not the feet hanging off me (now fixed – more or less), it’s the saddle position I just can’t seem to get right. Or now, it’s the tyre pressure bothering me.
    Oh yeah, and if you crash it costs a fortune to get fixed…

Wasn’t like this when I was a kid, rattling about all day on an oversized ‘High Nelly’, I can tell you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

The recommended pressure on my tyres (23mm) is 110psi.

Ditto, I recently bought a JoeBlow Sprint track pump. The pressure gague is at the top of the pump which makes it easier to read and the reason I bought it.

• Advertisement

That's a very handy chart, thank you. Pity it only goes up to 82kg and not 90:eek:

I need it to go over 100kg! :)

For higher or lower you just inflate to the min/max, see the graph goes flat at that point :)

Cheers lads. Got the JoeBlow Sport today in Halfords. It works a treat. Very happy!!

Now back to the cycling!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

how much are they going for in halfords?

€42 mate. Advertised at €63(!!!!) But some 1/3rd off thing going on at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Forky wrote: »
    €42 mate. Advertised at €63(!!!!) But some 1/3rd off thing going on at the mo.

That's nuts.

It was £25 (roughly €32) on the CRC website, delivery included.

Yeah when I seen the €63 I nearly dropped!!

Wonder did they put the price up before they started the 1/3rd off deal??

Most likely. Totally illegal to do so, but everyone seems to be at it these days.

My Joe Blow Sprint arrived this morning. Thing is huge. Works a treat, very easy and fast to use and the gauge is really easy to read. Can't believe I waited so long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

blorg wrote: »
    My Joe Blow Sprint arrived this morning. Thing is huge. Works a treat, very easy and fast to use and the gauge is really easy to read. Can't believe I waited so long!

My Joe Blow Sprint arrived this this afternoon - god it's a bigun!

Advertisement