Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

info please

Options
  • 13-07-2008 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

i need to upgrade my hd, if i remove c replace it, run xp will that be all i need to do, will d be ok, i recently took it to a repair shop to have a 40 gid hd put in d, i had a 20 gig in c, this week i have found out that now c contains a 8 gig, which leaves a bad taste in my mouth, also i an technecally inept, thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

personally i'd recommend you to install the Hard Drive yourself, its a very simple thing to do and you'll save a ton (Around 100 euro) then getting it done by a "technician"
    From what i understood in your post you have two Physical Hard Drive Disks one for C: and one for D:
    If that is the case then D should be ok if you remove the Hard Drive containing Drive C: and put in a new Hard Drive and reinstall XP
    But personally I wouldn't even dare have a 40gb hard drive in this day and age,
    1000GB hard drives are now nearing the 100 euro mark and hdds around 250GB are now less than 40-50 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Its possible you had one hard drive but two partitions on the drive. That will show up as C: and D: in Windows.

Also you can have more than one hard drive

Also 40 gig isnt that much these days to be upgrading to. You should be aiming for at minimum 320gb if you're upgrading. Unless you're getting a solid state drive but I dont think you are, you're probably going magnetic.

If you need extra storage what you can do is put in a second drive and keep your existing hard drive with Windows on it. That's probably the easiest, you'll need to know whether you want a IDE or SATA drive depending on how old your PC is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

I wouldnt ask this, but you said you were technically inept,so lowest common demoninator thinking applies...

is there any chance your looking at the free space on the disk drive, and not the actual total capacity?

go to my computer, right click the C: drive, go to properties. from there look at the area marked "capacity".

it seems unlikely they put in a mere 8gig drive, purely for the fact they dont exist anymore. though saying that, 40gigs barely do either.

just do that first, we'll worry about some other checks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

propertys say 3.99 gb, free space 4.08 mg, it had a 20 gig hd, i have a 40 gig hard drive in the drawer, waiting to install, btw i only use the machine for web browsing, the reason for the 2nd drive is to save pics,i hope to take shortly, plus some music,

Advertisement