Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peggy's Leg....?

Options
  • 13-07-2008 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭

Maybe one for the slightly more mature enjoyer of confection this, but....

Peggy's Legs have been referenced in that ad for AIB (or some bank) recently, so....what exactly was a peggy's leg?

Wikipedia knows nothing, nor does google (though Peggy's Leg was apparently a band too...), so can anyone here remember?

Comments

Weren't they those rock sticks?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Another favourite sweet in Ireland was called "Peggy's Leg" which was a stick of boiled sweet something similar to the sticks of rock sold at seaside ...

There ya go!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭Archeron

They were also really horrible and were usually odd shapes. I suspected that they were actually just sticks of rock that had gone wrong, so they gave them a different name so they could sell them.

As they were always sold at the beach, my over riding memory is that they always had sand on them. Blech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

They were definitely not rock gone wrong.
    AFAIR They were caramel flavoured and coloured as opposed to white/red and minty flavoured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

And they where really sticky - the closet thing to edible super glue a kid could get his teeth around, am I right in remembering that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭Archeron

Hagar wrote: »
    They were definitely not rock gone wrong.
    AFAIR They were caramel flavoured and coloured as opposed to white/red and minty flavoured.

Please don't say my parents have been lying to me and my lifelong hatred of Peggy's legs has been misguided!!! Wars have started for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Raven_k42

I remember them too....all the old corner shops had them....small sticks of rock in an insipid skin/caramel colour

K

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They always seemed stale for some reason - I think because I expected them to be crisper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sweetiepye

Does anybody know who originally made peggys leg

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

my granny used to buy me these!

like a crumbly rock!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 MacOwen

ye should google mollys mixtures. i got great sweets and they are v reasonable too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 iCailin

Peggys Leg is back! Bought some on return to UK and forced my kids to eat them telling them of my 70s memories! 1 euro in Wrights of howth in the airport. Some were like chalky and some were like seaside rock, all carmel and peppermint...same as the old days except longer. Think a place in Athlone has resurrected them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 iCailin

oh and they had "Peggy's Leg That Never Wore a Garter" on them!

Advertisement