Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GPS for Hill Walking

• 13-07-2008 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good handheld GPS that will accurately tell me what grid reference I'm at based on an OS map?

I'd like to have one that includes a good map showing forests, changes in terrain etc, but will also do the basics of navigation info, etc.

Any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Trotter wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good handheld GPS that will accurately tell me what grid reference I'm at based on an OS map?
    Any handheld GPS on the market will fulfil that function. It wouldn't be a GPS otherwise :)
    I'd like to have one that includes a good map showing forests, changes in terrain etc,
    That's where the problem arises. There are no 'official' topographic maps of Ireland available for any of the major brands of GPS on the market (yet). There are rumours that Garmin may be bringing something out, but nothing definite. The best you'll manage is the free contour 'maps' available from the SMC http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.htm, but these are just that, i.e. contours and nothing else. Even the current OSi paper maps don't show forests with any degree of accuracy, so there's little hope of any GPS based maps that'll do the same or better.
    .. but will also do the basics of navigation info, etc.
    Not quite sure what you mean by that? They'll all be capable of storing waypoints and navigating towards them, recording tracks etc. The main differences are in the max number of waypints, trackpoints etc.
    Any advice is appreciated!
    As far as outdoor GPS's are concerned Garmin is the only real player at the moment. Take a look at the etrex range, especially the newer H series of high sensitivity receivers. There's also the slightly bulkier 60Cx and 60Csx which some people swear by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Thats great.. Thanks a lot for your tips!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Alun wrote: »
    That's where the problem arises. There are no 'official' topographic maps of Ireland available for any of the major brands of GPS on the market (yet). There are rumours that Garmin may be bringing something out, but nothing definite. The best you'll manage is the free contour 'maps' available from the SMC http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.htm, but these are just that, i.e. contours and nothing else. Even the current OSi paper maps don't show forests with any degree of accuracy, so there's little hope of any GPS based maps that'll do the same or better.

You could also use the EmeraldIsland maps

It used the same source SRTM public data provided by NASA that SMC uses, but also includes:
    - mountain summits from mountainviews.ie
    - megaliths from megalithomania.com.
    - colour DEM-like shading

Advertisement