Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Cancellation & Modem Return

Options
  • 13-07-2008 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I'm canceling with UTV Clicksilver and just got their e-mail demanding that I return their modem. Just a few questions:

1. There's no return address listed for the model of my modem (ZyXEL Prestige 630). Should I send it back to their Belfast address anyway? Presume it's not a freepost address so I'll have to pay for postage?

2. I signed up with them back in 2003...I'm sure I still have the orginal USB cable and ADSL filter somewhere, but they're all mixed up among other USB cables and other ADSL filters I've got now (and the original cardboard box is long gone...). Has anyone returned just the modem (without USB cable/filter) when they canceled with UTV? Or do I HAVE to return everything?

3. What's the RMA number in the modem return form?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭DecTenToo

just email them saying you have the prestige. When this happened to me they ended up replying saying not to bother :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aktelmiele

I moved from UTV to BT and they still wanted the cancellation fee.

Its the biggest scam ever even though I had been with them for 3 years.

I had some Creative Blaster muck modem and they still wanted it back.

The least they could offer is a freepost address if they want an obsolutete modem back

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

cylor wrote: »
    I'm canceling with UTV Clicksilver and just got their e-mail demanding that I return their modem. Just a few questions:

1. There's no return address listed for the model of my modem (ZyXEL Prestige 630). Should I send it back to their Belfast address anyway? Presume it's not a freepost address so I'll have to pay for postage?

2. I signed up with them back in 2003...I'm sure I still have the orginal USB cable and ADSL filter somewhere, but they're all mixed up among other USB cables and other ADSL filters I've got now (and the original cardboard box is long gone...). Has anyone returned just the modem (without USB cable/filter) when they canceled with UTV? Or do I HAVE to return everything?

3. What's the RMA number in the modem return form?

Thanks in advance!

1. Yeah I contacted them, send it to Ormeau road.
    2. I was thinking of just send the modem and the usb cable but now that you mention the filters... i might box that off too. To be rid of all things UTV.
    3. I asked and they said it's the same as your account number cs12345 = 12345
    Hope this helps! (I'm sending mine off tomorrow:))

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭cylor

Cheers for all the replies (bar one!). Will call in the morning to see if I can get away with not sending the old Prestige modem back...dunno maybe postage (registered, as recommended) might cost more than the modem itself! Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

You could always tell them it is available for collection if they want to arrange a time or advise them that there is a shipping and handling fee of €X to send it back.

I don't see why you should be out of pocket for sending it back. You paid to receive it in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sarn wrote: »
    You could always tell them it is available for collection if they want to arrange a time or advise them that there is a shipping and handling fee of €X to send it back.

I don't see why you should be out of pocket for sending it back. You paid to receive it in the first place.

It is in their terms and conditions that you return it (unless they have changed this recently) and in fact they reserve the right not to release your line until the modem has been returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

its why its best to never get a modem off your ISP and just buy one yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭cylor

Yay, don't have to return the modem (but only because I have the Zyxel). For others in the same boat, make sure you call their Admin line (Sales and Tech Support both thought I had to make the return).

Cheers for all the feedback :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

You can buy the UTV modem, which might mean you wouldn't have to pay a connection fee to the service you move to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

just this morning i got a bill for my cancelled account

they want to charge me 40 quid for the modem i returned to someplace in Blanchardstown
    i rang up and they said they hadn't got it, i got a proof of postage at the time but cant find it now

where do you think i stand? i was thinking about trying the Consumer Agency

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

giftgrub wrote: »
    where do you think i stand? i was thinking about trying the Consumer Agency

Just ignore them. You returned the modem, if they lost it, then that's their problem. Proof of postage is meaningless anyway, it would have to be recorded delivery to show you actually posted it to them, and that they received it. If they wanted that, then they should have requested it, and paid for it.

Just another way for UTV to extort money from people, just like their completely unfair cancellation fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Butterfly08

Just saw this as I cancelled my UTV subscription in September after about 4 years with them. I'm livid that I had to call them to find out what the 'extra charges' on my statement. I think it's a scam as well and does not encourage free movement between providers. Why should I be penalised if I want to leave them? I know they have it in their Ts and Cs but I'm sure that Comreg should be looking into this kind of behaviour.:mad::mad::mad:

Advertisement