Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are the boy-racer brigade going to be hit especially hard by the 'recession'?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    I'd say the main reason for the rise in the 80's was crap car security and no immobilizers which led to a blitz in joyriding and car thefts.
    The value of a car is not the most significant part of insurance risk. The potential for damage and huge personal injuries claims is what sends up the premium. So, powerful car+inexperience+'wrong neighbourhood'+too much testosterone=big insurance headache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

At the risk of getting flamed, does anyone care if they are hit by the recession? If it means less of them on the road, that can only be good in my eyes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

At the risk of getting flamed, does anyone care if they are hit by the recession? If it means less of them on the road, that can only be good in my eyes.

Insurance companies will see to that , Cyclopath is on the right track.
    The potential for damage and huge personal injuries claims is what sends up the premium.

Recent years have seen the lowest objective driver risk premia in over 3 Decades.

The credit crunch will lead to the repricing of this risk and I would warn the younger drivers insured here that claims always rise in a recession which leads to increased premia overall but more so for younger drivers .

Furthermore Insurance itself is simply organised gambling , a form of bookmaking . Older and slower nags with newer cars are a better bet for the bookies .

Its no help when one of the biggest insurers in Ireland, Sean Quinn of Quinn Direct , tells everybody he has just lost €1Bn gambling on Anglo Irish shares either!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If you don't lose your job you won't be affected, so it depends. Not all Glanza and Impreza drivers are employed in the building trade. I know a guy who's dad is a surgeon and has an Impreza.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You will be affected if you pay your own insurance. If not then mammy and daddy will be affected instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You will be affected if you pay your own insurance. If not then mammy and daddy will be affected instead.
    I haven't heard reports from anyone I know that their insurance premuim has gone up:confused::confused: And considering Hibernian are relocating, I imagine Sean Quinn isn't going to push more business their way by shoving prices up and creating a bigger problem for himself.

Advertisement