Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help - Do I need a new tyre?

Options
  • 13-07-2008 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

I was on the little road that leads to my house yesterday evening doing less than 20mph, when a a kid on a bike came out in from of me from nowhere. I jumped on the breaks and went up on a small kerb to avoid the kid. Luckily everybody was fine (the kid was just a bit scared) but I knew as it happened that i had scuffed the wheel.

BUT after washing the car this afternoon i had a closer look and it seems I've managed to pierce part of the sidewall :(

I had a small drive to the shops since and everything appears ok - no loss of pressure indicated or visible.

Will I need a new tyre? Will it be safe to drive to work in the morning?

31808037em9.jpg

66267019ml5.jpg

46663985fi7.jpg

74171715ug8.jpg

90681951br2.jpg

And heres the kerb - look how shallow it is. It must have been the angle i mounted it at
    24330952zx8.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Yes you need a new tyre, That gash appears to be a very weak link in the tyre

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Personally I'd get it replaced for safety - sidewalls can't really be repaired and contribute the strength of the tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

When i seen your forst two pics i was thinking it would be fine, as i myself have a similar scar on one of mine. But your other pics show it to be a fairly deep chunk that it took out.

Chances are that it would be fine, but for the cost of a new tyre maybe it is worth replacing, as i would imagine that the wall is weakened, and could possibly blow out by being further weakened by bumps etc. And the moment it could give up could be the very moment your on the other side of the road giving it the welly making an over taking maneuver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Just had another look at the tyre - there is definitely no cords visible, these are normally white-ish?? But i agree with the above - a new tyre will need to be ordered, for peace of mind if nothing else.

However, the tyre on the car is a bit of an unusual profile (225/35/r18) and isn't always in stock. The tyre which i tore is only 2 months old (!) and they took a day to deliver to my local shop. My main worry is that will the tyre be ok for 3 trips to and from work on the motorway? For this reason should i glue it for now?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

My main worry is that will the tyre be ok for 3 trips to and from work on the motorway? For this reason should i glue it for now?

You can't glue a tyre, only vulcanise it. You'd be making things worse by putting glue on there.

Order the tyre, keep it handy drivingwise and keep an eye on that tyre. If it seems to get worse, don't drive it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I would replace the tyre, its the whole motorway driving maybe the problem.
    Its the fact your tyre now has a serious weak point, for piece of mind replace.

cabrwab wrote: »
    I would replace the tyre, its the whole motorway driving maybe the problem.
    Its the fact your tyre now has a serious weak point, for piece of mind replace.

No car means no work.
    I should also explain that the car has no space (only a compressor and glue kit). I also can't swap the front wheel (with the tear) with a rear wheel - which should be under less pressure because there is no jack or jacking points due to the side skirts!
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I did very similar damage to a tyre on my car about 6 months ago... and I even posted pics up here asking for similar advice (hoping someone would tell me its OK!). I brought it to a tyre shop and they were honest enough, said it wasn't too bad and I'd probably get away with it... but it would have always preyed on my mind when on the motorways, so I coughed up and replaced it... Luckily in my case, it was pothole damage and the co.council coughed up the cost.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I did very similar damage to a tyre on my car about 6 months ago... and I even posted pics up here asking for similar advice (hoping someone would tell me its OK!). I brought it to a tyre shop and they were honest enough, said it wasn't too bad and I'd probably get away with it... but it would have always preyed on my mind when on the motorways, so I coughed up and replaced it... Luckily in my case, it was pothole damage and the co.council coughed up the cost.

Was it as bad as mine? Hope the pics clear enough?
    You did well getting the Co Co to fork out for a new tyre!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

That definately needs replacing alright. To be honest if it were me I wouldnt drive on it at all.
    The lower the profile the more chance you have to to get sidewall damage....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Was it as bad as mine? Hope the pics clear enough?
    You did well getting the Co Co to fork out for a new tyre!

I don't think mine was as bad as yours actually... I don't think I could put my finger into it, like you can in your pics.

Here's what mine was like - not a great pic:
    IMG_0862.jpg

Yeah, I couldn't believe how straightforward/easy it was to make a claim to the council for it. I was only annoyed with myself that I didn't claim for an alloy too (slight scuffed)

Advertisement