Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

metallica now dire live?

• 13-07-2008 6:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

Saw metallica on sky last night live at rock am ring

Watched creeping death, really bad guitar performance, song structure altered for the worse..
    I have seen them play many times over the years, from master of puppets tour onwards but never as bad?

Maybe they don't give a fcuk anymore.

Don't think i would hand out good money to see them now!

Come to think of it Megadeth were always tighter live!!!!!!!

Rob Trujillo is easily the best musician in the band and his performance was excellent (biased infectious grooves and suicidal fan!!!!):D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

joeclif wrote: »
    Rob Trujillo is easily the best musician in the band
    I didn't see the performance you metioned but I'm quite surprised you think he's the best musician in the band. What are you basing this on (besides your liking for Suicidal Tendencies)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Many years of listening and also a mild bias,
    I am not disrespecting the rest of em, very accomplished and that, i do have most of their albums and listen to them frequently.

I am not metallica bashing i remain a fan, if not overly impressed with certain tracks but then who honestly likes everything a band does?

Just pains me to see a poor performance, ok they can have an off night but not that off!!!!

Rob was very much in demand prior to metallica and deserved of his position.
    Wish i could play as well as him!!!!
    Actually him or the two guitarists, the roadies, the ten year old across the street.........................:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I saw them, like a lot of people, numerous times over the last few years... One year, the gig was great, good solid performances and sound. I heard some of the tracks from that gig a week or two later on the radio, sounded woeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 noloveinfear21

All that 2008 performance is on youtube and if anything its better then their previous performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Lil Kitten wrote: »

Oooh. 1000th post. Where are they balloons and confetti?

Congrats

Although I wouldn't let one bad performance put me off going to see them. Every band has an off night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

God I hope not, I have major plans to see them live soon and I intend on seeing it through. The guys are legends and I want to remember them that way. Must have been bad audio on the set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

first up i'm biased!!:D

i've got tons of metallica shows through livemetallica and to my ears anyway they sound as tight as they've been in years. last gig i saw them was wembley last july and they were awesome,i'm fully expecting another amazing set from them here next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

joeclif wrote: »
    Rob Trujillo is easily the best musician in the band and his performance was excellent

He is an unreal bassist and a fantastic performer. Definitely the best musician in the band imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭birdman 1979

OctavarIan wrote: »
    He is an unreal bassist and a fantastic performer. Definitely the best musician in the band imo.

yea hes pretty mental, seen him when they played in 2005.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Saw them at Pinkpop this year, and by god it was a very boring time. The setlist just remains the same, even down to the stuff James says to the crowd. For Creeping Death(lets guess whthey played that?), I sung every word, then said everything James said to the crowd, nothing alters.The only good thing that day was they played two covers, one being So What! For a band with as big a back catalogue as that. they limit themselves so much live. I left after So What!, frien coming up behind me asking why...I just said "this", and on came Seek. Too predictable, a little variety doesnt go amiss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 noloveinfear21

Mushy wrote: »
    Saw them at Pinkpop this year, and by god it was a very boring time. The setlist just remains the same, even down to the stuff James says to the crowd. For Creeping Death(lets guess whthey played that?), I sung every word, then said everything James said to the crowd, nothing alters.The only good thing that day was they played two covers, one being So What! For a band with as big a back catalogue as that. they limit themselves so much live. I left after So What!, frien coming up behind me asking why...I just said "this", and on came Seek. Too predictable, a little variety doesnt go amiss.

Rock Am Ring Setlist

Creeping Death
    For Whom the Bell Tolls
    Ride the Lightning
    Harvester of Sorrow
    Bleeding Me
    No Remorse
    Devil's Dance
    ...And Justice For All
    Fade to Black
    Master of Puppets
    Whiplash
    Nothing Else Matters
    Sad But True
    One
    Enter Sandman

Die, Die My Darling
    Motorbreath
    Seek & Destroy

Enough variety for ya. If they didn't play something like master of puppets everybody would leave complaining. Some people are never happy.

the setlists is something thats being annoying a lot of fans who've seen them regularly since 2003. tbh what i think is happening is that for the festival gigs that they've been playing in europe for the last few summers they've been trying to play a bit of a greatest hits(near impossible imo.) set to appeal to the new fan/casual fan. for every 100 fans who moan about the setlist there's probably 500 more who've never seen them before and can't wait to hear enter sandman,nothing else matters etc.

i think they've copped on a bit on this summers stint,they've thrown in some load/reload stuff as well as stuff like die die,my darling,so what. i'm expecting by the time they get here in august the new single should be or will just be about to drop and we may get to hear it live. expect the rest of the set to have a familiar look to it. i don't expect that to change until they head out on an indoor tour starting in the autumn in the states,then there should be a lot of new stuff included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭smurfy89

Aww!! I hope they arent too bad now!! :(
    Goin to see them for the first time next month, hopefully it will be good!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Onkle wrote: »
    Last time I saw Metallica was in the RDS in 2005, then I thought they were amazing. Going to see them again in August so hopefully they have deteriorated much over the last 3 years
    I saw them in the Top Hat in '88, in the Point a couple of times and also in the RDS.
    On each occasion, I felt they weren't as good as before. However, (and I've said it before) the RDS one was ****é. I just couldn't take James crap - seemed too patronising or something. I'd rather sit watching Desperate Housewives or whatever crap is on TV rather than shell out 70 quid!

Tenacious D, however...

Rock Am Ring Setlist

Creeping Death
    For Whom the Bell Tolls
    Ride the Lightning
    Harvester of Sorrow
    Bleeding Me
    No Remorse
    Devil's Dance
    ...And Justice For All
    Fade to Black
    Master of Puppets
    Whiplash
    Nothing Else Matters
    Sad But True
    One
    Enter Sandman

Die, Die My Darling
    Motorbreath
    Seek & Destroy

Enough variety for ya. If they didn't play something like master of puppets everybody would leave complaining. Some people are never happy.

Seen them 2003,2006,2007,2008...that set mostly bores the pants off me, bar Die Die and Motorbreath(IMO it should replace CD as opener). I just feel that with Tallica live now, its a kinda "seen it once, seen it a thousand times" kinda thing. If I compare this to QOTSA(my fav band, but Tallica once were), Queens blow the hell out of them live as the setlist changes. It keeps interest up, and Tallica lost that a long time ago, even before I saw them in 2007. A new tour should at least warrant more than a change of two or three songs per tour, especially with a back catalogue that impressive and massive in size!

EDIT: They can keep MoP, and One, but all other regulars maybe if keeping one or two, just revolve them around the setlist a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Ross Mc

I agree Metallica aren't as good live as they used to be but I've heard some of the riffs and stuff off the new album and it sounds good but I'm just worried that it will be another St. Anger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Metallica are one of the best live bands in the world, this is recognised by most media outlets and they continue to get better. OP, i recommend you listen to rock am on youtube, very good quality and i think it includes the best version of ajfa i've ever heard live among others..... The fact is, if metallica did not play the classics, there would be alot more outcry than if they did. Also on the setlist already posted there are about 7 or 8 songs that don't appear on a classic tallica setlist the majority of the time. However i've already come to the conclusion that the average metallica fan cannot be satisfied but it's hard to ignore these "dire" arguements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

If I compare this to QOTSA(my fav band, but Tallica once were), Queens blow the hell out of them live

wat? I was extremely disappointed when i saw them live.

wat? I was extremely disappointed when i saw them live.

I'm just basing this on setlist-wise. QOTSA leave out their hits a lot, they'll play anything and nearly everything. Its called variety. And I've seen them 6 times in a year, and its changed a lot. Only once did they open with the same song! Much better so it is. Plus the crowd interaction changes, unlike Metallica. Performance-wisse, well it depends. Think Metallica will always play their stuff well live, so won't complain about that bit, same as QOTSA.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Last thing I want to people to think is that im a metallica basher,cuz im not,so my opinion is the problem is lars,he just just cant cut it live anymore,missing beats,changing the song pattern,the drums just dont sound like they do on the albums,he needs to seriously up his ante,but then again james will never get rid of him.Im probbly gonna get stoned for this,but its what I think and if the metallica fans boys dont like,TUFF!!!!

• Advertisement

Last thing I want to people to think is that im a metallica basher,cuz im not,so my opinion is the problem is lars,he just just cant cut it live anymore,missing beats,changing the song pattern,the drums just dont sound like they do on the albums,he needs to seriously up his ante,but then again james will never get rid of him.Im probbly gonna get stoned for this,but its what I think and if the metallica fans boys dont like,TUFF!!!!

I agree with you but I think you can't rid of him cause he has been with metallica for so long. His style has changed so much over the years and thats why metallica has changed so much, i think if lars doesn't get his way he bitches and whines about it till he does. I think metallica would be better off going back to the way they were for the early album but that is easier said then done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Listen I saw Metallica in 1993 and that setlist isn't much changed in 15 years, proof that Metallica haven't released a good album in a generation. This happens to bands who get too involved in other crap instead of music, u2 spring to mind. They've lost their edge, their energy and their way. Think back to the stuff they released ion the 80's, kill em all, master of puppets, and justice for all, everyone a classic, the black album had it's moments too but after that not much. Compare that to Megadeth who continuosly improve and diversify without losing touch with what made them unique to start off with.

I wouldn't go see Metallica now if I got a ticket for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Setlist seems exactly the same as it did when I went to see them a few years ago - it would be nice to think that they'd moved on, but seeing the exact same playlist would do my head in if I'd payed their ticket prices.

i was just thinking,we'll get the usual chants for whiskey in the jar:rolleyes: but i see sweet savage are playing too so methinks we might get a version of killing time with metallica and a couple of the sweet savage guys. at least that'll be one different song:P

Rock Am Ring Setlist

Creeping Death
    For Whom the Bell Tolls
    Ride the Lightning
    Harvester of Sorrow
    Bleeding Me
    No Remorse
    Devil's Dance
    ...And Justice For All
    Fade to Black
    Master of Puppets
    Whiplash
    Nothing Else Matters
    Sad But True
    One
    Enter Sandman

Die, Die My Darling
    Motorbreath
    Seek & Destroy

in comparison,here's the dublin 2004 setlist:
    Blackened
    - Fuel
    - Sad But True
    - Fade To Black
    - Frantic
    - Holier Than Thou
    - King Nothing
    - Wherever I May Roam
    - St. Anger
    - Creeping Death
    - Battery
    -
    - No Leaf Clover
    - Nothing Else Matters
    - Master of Puppets
    - One
    - Enter Sandman
    -
    - Whiskey In The Jar
    - Seek And Destroy

quite a bit of variety there imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Metallica have improved greatly since 2003. However, i would agree with a change in setlist. If I was given an option on the 18 songs we see in Marlay Park they would be

Blackened
    Master Of Puppets
    Ride The Lightning
    The Unforgiven
    The Memory Remains
    Eye Of The Beholder
    Call of Kutulu
    Disposable Heroes
    Fade To Black
    And Justice For All
    Orion
    Turn The Page

Creeping Death
    Nothing Else Matters
    One
    Enter Sandman

THe Four Horseman
    Helpless

Het-Field wrote: »
    Metallica have improved greatly since 2003. However, i would agree with a change in setlist. If I was given an option on the 18 songs we see in Marlay Park they would be

Blackened
    Master Of Puppets
    Ride The Lightning
    The Unforgiven
    The Memory Remains
    Eye Of The Beholder
    Call of Kutulu
    Disposable Heroes
    Fade To Black
    And Justice For All
    Orion
    Turn The Page

Creeping Death
    Nothing Else Matters
    One
    Enter Sandman

THe Four Horseman
    Helpless

Where is For Whom The Bell Tolls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

haha, as a bassist i suppose i manditorally gotta complain about a lack o tolls too!!

But yea saw rock am ring and i thought they were dire that night, still contemplating if il go see em again in august, im more going for the d than metallica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 lyndy

The reason why Metallica play headline outdoor arenas is because they play what the majority of people want and like to hear,QOTSA-Megadeth are fantastic bands but headline acts at a 30,000+ person gig ????

Fact is most other acts are headline at the Ambassador to a couple of hundred people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭redfan

im bringin my eldest kid simply to see jack black hahahahah

Advertisement