Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers On Carrickpherish Road.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

kensutz wrote: »
    I think I value my life ;)

Think of the poor reporters in Iraq :p

Anyway, hopefully no harm will come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can't hear any sireeeens (in Cherrymount) :D

Mike.

Anyone catch David Cullinane on RTE this morning? He was interviewed about this and was quite impressive I have to say, usually local councillers when asked on air about this sort of thing play everything down and suggest its a passing squall of no consquence wheras he was very "straight" and did not seek to suggest it was not as bad as it is and the potential fall-out.

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

This appeared in one of the tabloids this morning
    IMG_1793.jpg
    mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone catch David Cullinane on RTE this morning? He was interviewed about this and was quite impressive I have to say, usually local councillers when asked on air about this sort of thing play everything down and suggest its a passing squall of no consquence wheras he was very "straight" and did not seek to suggest it was not as bad as it is and the potential fall-out.

Mike.

He came across very well ok. Here is the piece if anyone elses wants to download it and listen to it.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/cad51f/n/David_Cullinane_on_RTE_mp3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any detail/anecdotal evidence of the very first incident in all of this? Out on the Six Cross Roads I believe?

I recognise the names listed in the link from RTE, from court cases in the papers, and AFAIR those names popped up in various cases dating back 3 years, so I'd assume there is ongoing hostility between the parties involved, and it's all erupted over. Time the gardai stepped up and actually sorted out the trouble. Not a year goes by without some huge week-long drama involving travellers in Waterford, whether it's raids on sites to recover stolen goods or trying to stop huge fights breaking out.

I was passing the courthouse a while back when that case involving the young traveller girl who was hit by a car was being held, and there was about 20 cops standing at the gates of the courthouse barring a large group of travellers from gaining entry to "sort yer man out", so they stood around outside at the park walls taunting, was pretty intimidating to have to walk past.

I remember hearing that Waterford has the largest traveller population outside of Dublin, surely something should be done to address the issues that arise from this. And if laws are broken, prosecutions should be pushed to the full extent of the law. Seems to be a sense that there is one law for the settled community, and another for the travelling community. I'm fairly sure if I parked a camper van up in a carpark and claimed it was my way of life, the cops would not be long about moving me on or prosecuting me.

• Advertisement

I doubt thats true - Limerick and that town on the N21 (forgot the name) must have higher populations.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I doubt thats true - Limerick and that town on the N21 (forgot the name) must have higher populations.

Mike.

Tuam???

Rathkeale is the place, which is traveller central.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Rathkeale

I hear they've made speed limit exceptions as to prevent hub caps disappearing...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Armed checkpoint at the Bridge tonight. Other then that, no activity by cops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Yeah just got stopped by them when I came home from the match. Also saw a van and squad car heading out towards the ORR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Rathkeale is the place, which is traveller central.

Mike.
    Never going there so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Sully wrote: »
    Armed checkpoint at the Bridge tonight. Other then that, no activity by cops

Saw that myself.

Was a patrol walking down the Quay, and on our way back, was another patrol after pulling in two cars.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Saw that myself.

Was a patrol walking down the Quay, and on our way back, was another patrol after pulling in two cars.

Saw a car pulled in outside the internet cafe alright, and one guard outside Rubys.. neither of which were armed guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

So what's the craic at the moment? Any updates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Sully wrote: »
    Saw a car pulled in outside the internet cafe alright, and one guard outside Rubys.. neither of which were armed guards.

That was one of the cars, there was another one at the other internet cafe too.

No updates, but I saw a van in the Garda impound today, which I can only assume was involved in one of the arson attacks. I wouldn't fancy being in the driver seat of it. But I don't know for sure if it was involved in anything.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhqlaugbcwgb/rss2/

Clamping down on the yokes it seems

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhqlaugbcwgb/rss2/

Clamping down on the yokes it seems

its nice to see some action, lets hope it keeps up against anyone who breaks the law in this manner

There is no subtlety with these guys is there?

All the arrested refused bail this morning.

Mike.

There is no subtlety with these guys is there?

All the arrested refused bail this morning.

Mike.
    Good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

The Examiner
    TENSIONS are high after a weekend shooting linked to a violent feud between Traveller families in Cork and Waterford.
    Gardaí stepped up patrols in the Hollyhill area of Cork city last night after the incident on Nash’s Boreen in the early hours of yesterday morning.

It was the second time this week that a gun has been fired in the lane on the city’s north side where two Traveller families live.

Both incidents are linked to a violent feud between several Traveller families living in Cork and Waterford that flared last weekend.

In the latest incident, two men in an Opel car drove in to Nash’s Boreen, a cul-de-sac close to the Apple Computers plant, just after midnight.

A number of shots were fired from a rifle at the gate of one of two houses in the lane.

Several adults were in the house at the time but there were no injuries.

Gardaí had been monitoring the area since last Thursday, when two shots were fired from a shotgun at an empty car parked in the lane.

The men, who were wearing hoodies, abandoned the car in the lane and fled on foot.

Gardaí who were on patrol nearby were on the scene quickly and sealed off the area for a technical examination.

They recovered several spent shells, which will be examined by ballistics experts. They also seized the car for forensic examination. A team of gardaí also searched a number of fields around the lane.

The feud boiled over last Saturday after a man was viciously attacked in Waterford city.

Christopher Stokes, who it is understood has relations living in Nash’s Boreen, is in a critical but stable condition in intensive care at Waterford Regional Hospital following the incident at the Six Cross Roads.

Last Tuesday, Anthony McDonagh, 24, from Aisling Court, Waterford was brought before Waterford District Court charged with carrying out an assault on Mr Stokes. He was remanded in custody.

Willie Burke, 22, from St Herblain Park and John Burke, 27, of Kilcohan Park, were before the court on Wednesday in connection with the assault.

A fourth man, Thomas Quilligan, 36, and from Carrickpherish, Waterford, was charged with the possession of ammunition.

There was a large Garda presence at the courthouse for all hearings and patrols have been stepped up in several parts of the city.

There have been six arson attacks on homes in Waterford city since last Saturday — including one incident in which it is believed the wrong house was targeted.

In total, 11 people have been arrested. Gardaí have conducted extensive searches of waste ground, private houses and public areas in the city and have recovered a number of items, including 37 homemade incendiary devices, a sawn-off shotgun and five rounds of ammunition.

Reports differ on the cause of the feud, ranging from a dispute about the outcome of a bare-knuckle fight in Waterford last weekend, to an arranged marriage that didn’t work out.

Up to 60 individuals from several Traveller families in both counties are believed to be involved.

Happening in Cork now

Gardai were out in force last night. Checkpoint outside Harveys (which I overtook, assuming the truck had broken down :s) and I saw a guard removing a lad from a car outside Rubys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

CORK in a weird way makes sense,

All sides have a good % of family living there.

More mayhem, firebomb in St Herblain Park and an arrest. I think something else may have happened - its hard to keep up.

Mike

3 Petrol bombs were also thrown into the Halting site at Bilberry last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Aquos76 wrote: »
    3 Petrol bombs were also thrown into the Halting site at Bilberry last night.

I thought that Bilberry crowd were not supposed to be too bad? Must be getting involved as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Passed by Bilberry site at about 7.30 and there was a paddy wagon and 3 cops there. Must be something going on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Apparently one of Stokes was murdered yesterday - hung in the back of a van and beat to death. Whether this is the true cause of death or not (lets all remain speculative until the papers get sensational), and apparently, they're going to be in the funeral home on barrack street tonight.

I heard this from a "friend of a gaurd", so take it whatever way you will. But if there's any essence of truth to it, I'd strongly recommend keeping out of town for the night. Or travelling with a very large group/anti tank gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I was out in St. Herblain last night and I saw a few Gardai there. Not sure if it was related.

Any confirmation on that Tellox?

• Advertisement

Well I passed by barracks street twice today and there were guards outside Ryan's Bar and the unmarked car was parked accross from the funeral home. Must be something going on up there so.

Advertisement