Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers On Carrickpherish Road.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I heard the same story from someone who is acquainted with the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Never seen so many 'private parties' in Waterford before :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Have they relatives in Mulligar???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

The whole thing seems to be reaching epidemic proportions now. Also heard that its going to kick off in New Ross.

The council gave them a house in new estate and the place is full of caravans now. Cops warned the residents that they expecting a civil war. Bloody ridiculous giving them houses in estates. Shouldn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭garp

This is not something that is needed at this time of year.(not that its wanted anytime) But with Spraoi over the weekend, any more bad press about this and people will start thinking twice about comming into town for the festival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

the cops had a van stopped at the clock tower around 4.30 searching it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Spraoi over the weekend is going to causde headache's for the gardai I'd imagine, they have to police the event as well as continuing their clampdown on the troubles, its gona be fun for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gunshot in Farren Park overnight, no one hurt. One arrest I think

Mike.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mike65 wrote: »
    Gunshot in Farren Park overnight, no one hurt. One arrest I think

Mike.

and its made the news - http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0731/waterford.html
    Shot fired at Waterford house
    Thursday, 31 July 2008 11:06

A shot was fired at a house in Farran Park in Waterford city at around 12.20am this morning.

Gardaí in Waterford are investigating the incident.

Nobody was injured in the shooting and the scene has been preserved for technical examination.
    Advertisement

Gardaí are appealing for witnesses who may have seen anything suspicious in the Farran Park estate between 12am and 1am to contact them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 choclatecream

well im a traveller an stuck in the middle of the whole thing
    an let me tell u , were not doin this out of tradition or just to keep ourselves busy ,
    and yes it must be horrible for u all to have worries,
    questions and no answers!
    but at least u dont have watch ur every move !
    wake up every morning and have your first thought be
    was any of my family shot dead last night !

the troubles u have are better than the troubles u dont have !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

an let me tell u , were not doin this out of tradition or just to keep ourselves busy ,

lol.. as if.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭elgransenor

Too busy trying to earn a living and rear a family

best of luck with that darlin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

There is nothing we can do about that. If members of your community fail to adhere to the laws of this country, then that's their prerogative. The gardai have tried to solve this, but those responsible don't care about the law or the well being of anyone else, only themselves. What are we supposed to do? I'm sorry that you're in this situation, but until those responsible grow up and stop acting like a bunch of animals, then it's going to continue. And we are rightfully going to voice our opinion on it when guys are throwing petrol bombs at houses, putting the lifes of innocent people at risk, and driving through town in cars like madmen. So YES - it is horrible for us to have worries. And this isn't the first time either - I couldn't count the amount of times members of your community have either attacked friends of mine, or approached myself when I was growing up for money or fags - followed by a swift punch in the face. You think your community is the only ones affected by all of this? We've been affected by the Travelling community for decades. And nobody is willing to stand up and address any of these issues because the response will be violent, as ever.

While I have you here - Why do members of your community illegally park up on roads, destroy the place with rubbish and fires, and then drive off not cleaning up behind them. Do you think this is acceptable behaviour? I'd like to know what an average traveller thinks of incidents like this.

I disagree. I'm quite content with the troubles I "don't have".

im a traveller, yes! but i wud never in a million years try and take
    up for my race , for how can i ?
    the only people ill take up for is my own !
    my family are quiet people that keep to themselves , work for a living
    and have never been in any trouble with the law!
    and were all very clean lol

but when people are trying to murder you for know better
    reason then to have the town to themselves
    then yes things will get ugly ,, but theres nothing we can do
    either we protect ourselves or move an id die before i let a
    hillbilly with a machete put me outa my home ,,

I'm not trying to label travellers as anything. Try not to go into a defensive mode. I never said you or every member of the travelling community broke the law. I know alot of the members of the travelling community don't break the law. I went to school with some and grew up with some, who were over the years - very loyal friends to me. I was just curious as to your opinion about the illegal parking of travellers, giving you have more of an inside scoop than we do.

Do travellers not really care about parking up and destroying the area because there is no consequences for their actions? Would that be an accurate statement?

sorry , and yes it would its sickening to see half the things they do !
    and yes i do think there should be more done about it !
    but i doubt things will change !

Are you a settled traveller or do you live on a site? Just curious.

Im settled , have been for most of my life .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Good to see someone not flaming the situation dlofnep and of course good to see it from "their" side :)

• Advertisement

ive just been readin everything! so many questions!
    if anyones curious about anything just ask !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Do you think if the law actually came down hard on them and took no **** from them - would they still act the way they do or would they give in?

of course , there isnt a traveller in ireland that isnt afraid of the law
    if it was a bit more strict down here ud find there wudnt be so many travellers here

if it was a bit more strict down here ud find there wudnt be so many travellers here

Assuming that is, that all of Ireland isn't strict? Its not just a Waterford problem is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

It does seem that with this feud none of these travellers are afraid of the law. I'd go as far as saying that they have no concept of law.

It does seem that with this feud none of these travellers are afraid of the law. I'd go as far as saying that they have no concept of law.

IF you think about it - there is no law for them to be afraid of at this time. The Guards can do little about it, so the travelers win anyway. If the law got tougher, then the travelers would be sorted and would loose each time.

no its not just waterford , but i do think that they could be more
    vigilant down here , it would stop a lot of things !
    and prevent more travellers coming into waterford !

ive just been readin everything! so many questions!
    if anyones curious about anything just ask !

Cool thanks. Stick around :) It's nice to hear a voice from the other side. I'm sure you have to sieve through alot of hate-comments on here, but stick around so your community has a voice on here.

no its not just waterford , but i do think that they could be more
    vigilant down here , it would stop a lot of things !
    and prevent more travellers coming into waterford !

Most people dislike the parking where they want and destroying the place. Going vigilant on that - would it sort it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

choclatecream, to echo the comments of other posters it is indeed interesting to hear your thoughts.
    I guess its the $64000 question, but in your opinion, short of sending the army on to the streets, is their any course of action that you could see working which might put an end to, or at least put a cap on the violence seen in recent weeks?

Advertisement