Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I get any support?

Options
  • 13-07-2008 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi,

Hoping I can get some help here... I graduated from DCU 2 years ago with a 2:1 in computer applications. Since then I've been working in IT and I don't think it's for me. I can't seem to get motivated and don't have any real interest in it.
    I'm thinking of going back to study radiography in UCD in 2009. I've always had an interest in it and I've been thinking about it more and more lately. I know that if I go back that I'll have to pay fees which will be about €8000 a year. This doesn't really bother me as I should be able to save that amount between now and then through work. What I would be worried about is maintaining myself through college, would I be eligible for any grants/financial aid? If it makes any difference, I didn't receieve any grants the first time round.

Any advice, general or otherwise is very much welcome!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 godspenis

why dont use your computer smarts to google it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

godspenis wrote: »
    why dont use your computer smarts to google it?
    Why don't you use your computer smarts to post something useful? Have an infraction for that and if you post any more stupid comments, you'll be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ramiriquez

I don't think you would be eligible for much by way of grants. It usually applies to people taking up a course at a higher level from the one in which they attained their qualification. I'm assuming both are of the same level? I may be wrong so I'd say your best bet is to get on to your local Council/VEC (Council for Universities, VEC for I.T.'s). Hope it works out for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 scatriona

Hi Nachos

Am doing the same myself this year!
    I also have a degree so like you, not eligible for 'free fees'. I never got a grant the 1st time round .. and can't see any access to grants this time either. I have had to re-mortgage, will hopefully rent out place, sell car and move home! The fact I'm moving home means I can't get a grant as parents income would be over threshold I think (even though I don't expect them to support me, i imagine the Council sees it differently:mad:)
    The fees are increasing, and I haven't been advised what the new ones are yet. But I am hoping that the old saying 'where there's a will, there's a way' will see me through! Don't want to consider alternative....:eek:

Good luck - and what I would say is make the application in any case, and then spend the rest of the yr working out the other details!

Scat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Also have a look at http://www.studentfinance.ie/.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 patrickoneill0

Don't think that you will be eligible. I am going back to do Primary Teaching as a mature student, doing the undergrad, and have a B Sc. in Comp Science too. Rang my local council and she advised that I would not get fees or maintenance grant. Am gutted, but will have to suffer through it.

Advertisement