Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taxes and charges, why the difference

Options
  • 13-07-2008 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

was just looking at flights from dublin to london with aer lingus

seen flights to both gatwick and heathrow, both handy for the area of london i visit, but taxes and charges differ, now from memory both are managed by BAA, both are london airports, so why the difference, is it just because of the size of one compared to the other, and its location

flights in to both €0, taxes and charges to heathrow, €66, to gatwick, €58

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

irish-stew wrote: »
    was just looking at flights from dublin to london with aer lingus

seen flights to both gatwick and heathrow, both handy for the area of london i visit, but taxes and charges differ, now from memory both are managed by BAA, both are london airports, so why the difference, is it just because of the size of one compared to the other, and its location

flights in to both €0, taxes and charges to heathrow, €66, to gatwick, €58

I think BAA charge more to land at Heathrow because they can get away with it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They confuse matters by calling it "taxes" which suggest some sort of government charge is involved. But it is actually mostly just the parking fees that each airport can get away with charging the airlines and type of plane.

Here are the charges that Dublin airport makes depending on the type of parking spot and size of plane that lands. I'd imagine that there is less landing slots available at Heathrow compared to Gatwick so they can just get away with charging more for them.

Edit: ...and here is the Cork charges for comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Airlines can also negotiate discounts, which you would never get in Heathrow, becuase it doesn't need the extra business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

In the London times this morning it was saying that BMI may fly empty planes out of heathrow rather than cancel flights. you have to fly 80% of your scheduled flights or BAA can take away your slot. Deloittes estimate a Heathrow slot is worth up to £25m to an airline :eek:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/news/article4340518.ece

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Shame that Norwich isn't near anywhere that I would want to be going to, well near anywhere at all actually. Wouldn't mind getting paid to be an actor on a flight just to make up the numbers for FlyBe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement