Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hair everywhere YIKES

Options
  • 13-07-2008 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

hey everyone,

hoping someone has some advice for me.. have year old female terrier (or jack russell) not too sure ha.. she is so so adorable, whole family love her, even my animal hating husband :rolleyes: has fallen under her spell.. problem is i want to keep her in house for few hours during the day for little cuddle on couch in kitchen watchin tv, she loves this attention but my house is covered in hair from her.. have to leave her outside now all the time and she begs us thru glass to come in.. clothes are destroyed from dog hair so has anyone any suggestions /????? is there anything the vet can do??? brush her everyday to rid excess hair yet still everywhere...

hope some soloution as she is just too gorgeous not to be hugged and loved indoors :(

thanks for the help ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Try adding some oil to her food, there is a moult formula you can buy that helps to reduce shedding. Also get yourself a brush called a zoom groom, they are the best thing ever for removing excess hair from dogs.

If you feed her on a high quality food from your pet store, the supermarket brands are all terrible, that can improve the quality of the coat and thus reduce shedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Try a damp marigold rubber glove and rub her down with it all the hair should stick to it. My dad dose this on his Jackie and she's feed only the best I'm lucky to get a cuppa when she's about. And a good friend of mine dose this on her cat as well. Hope it works for you too!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Most pet shops sell rubber grooming brushes. They are great for picking up loose hair of that lenght. Use that often and regularly and other than that ...learn to live with it ...comes with the territory :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

personally, I would say stuff you to the husband and bring the dog in! sure, a bit of hair never killed anybody! if it wouldn't bother her/make her too hot, you could get her some "clothing" to reduce the fur rubbing off on the furniture if necessary, better than leaving her outdoors! if you look on some of the online pet shops you can find little jumpers and stuff that looks OK, just ignore the silly stuff like tutu's for dogs! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

Imagine having 4 hairy cavaliers running around. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Most dogs are shedding at the moment - I am greeted by tumbleweeds & drifts of hair in the hallway every morning as both my jack russell and lab are into their 2nd heavy shed this year. Groom as much as you can - the rubber brushes or gloves & Kong zoom groom are all very good. Buy a throw for the sofa & maybe supplement the dogs diet with oil. I find with lots of brushing we can usually get through the worst of the summer moult in about a week.

Try some creative housekeeping - after my (mostly white) JRT has been lounging on the dark red velvet sofa cushions, I turn them over! At least then I only have to hoover the cushions every other day!

Remember a great quote once I read in a book about labradors - someone was asking about whether a black or yellow dog was best - reply was "it depends where you want to see the dog hairs, on the carpet or in the butter!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 jenjo23

have you looked at getting a furminator. Do a google search and you'll see what I'm talking about.

It's supposed to brilliant for getting excess hair out and minimising shedding, most groomers use them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

Hi i'm a dog groomer and my advice would be to bring your dog for a grooming. i know its not a long term solution but between a professional bath, use of blaster dryer and grooming tools we can manage to reduce the shedding some what. also i wouldnt recommend the furminator for a jrt its better used on the likes of a golden ret where as may cause brush burn on the jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

As said a good grooming will do the trick and then regular grooming by you. Dogs are hairy though so you'll have to be prepared for hair no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Rayven199

My dog is shedding like there is no tomorrow as well! Its a pain but I think (and Hope!:o) that it is only for the summer months because all the floors are smothered in her hair, id nearly want to be hoovering every day!
    I dont let it stop me having her inside though and I know it will stop as she didnt always shed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

no matter what you try, you will have to get used to it. one of the downsides to having a dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

thanks for the advice, have got the rubber brush and am going to make app for a grooming.. ahh we all love her inside so going to ask vet when getting her neutered about the oil..

thanks for the replies ;)

Advertisement