Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill Island 8th July 08 (not dial up friendly)

• 13-07-2008 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭

Just some pics from a recent break in Achill. The weather actually wasn't bad there as we seemed to miss all the heavy showers. Most of them are of Keem beach and the cliffs/mountain that surround it.
    P1080264.jpg
    P1080269.jpg
    P1080273.jpg
    P1080274.jpg
    P1080291.jpg
    P1080303.jpg
    P1080335.jpg
    P1080338.jpg
    P1080343.jpg
    P1080347.jpg
    P1080353.jpg
    P1080360.jpg
    P1080363.jpg
    P1080367.jpg
    P1080243.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Stunning pics RC. What a lovely beach with turquoise water. You could mistake the first two pics from somewhere more tropical. Thanks for sharing.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Nice to see those pics Rc28, brings back some memories of when I was there a couple of years ago. You where brave enough to travel along the atlantic drive I see. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Superb shots. Went for a spin up there a couple of years ago with a friend of mine, and I have to say that the drive to the beach on the island was one of the more unnerving driving experiences of my life. My enjoyment of the beach and scenery was marred by the fact that I knew I had to drive back to the otherside of the island on a road on the edge of a cliff that was 3 meters wide and 200 meters plus high, without verge. Just a straight drop down. I am terrified of heights, and it took me near a week to recover. I could never be a mountain man. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I was there two years ago as well. Now that you mention it I do recall a person driving erratically who almost knocked me down as i was walking along the side of the road:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

:eek:
    Did Galway also beat Mayo that same day too:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Fantastic pics. I was out that road last November in a (wind)storm - scary/exciting place to be (depending on your viewpoint!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Stunning pics there rc28, never beeen there, looks realy beautiful, thanks for posting your pics.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Cheers everyone. Yup, the atlantic drive is pretty scary at times-there was a big tour bus behind us on our approach there too. I found Achill to be one of the nicest places in Ireland that I've ever been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 StratoQ

Gr8 pics rc. Reminds me of my trip there two years ago. Weather (as usual) wasnt great but still managed a wonderful swim in Keem bay. It has to be the nicest beach in Ireland.

The Atlantic drive is pretty hairy at times alright. But my scariest moment was driving back down from the road that leads to the TV mast on Minaun Heights. The road goes up to about 400m and is very steep. I found it ok going up but left it very late to return down and coupled with a full car and near darkness, I got into a panic when I realised that if anything should happen the brakes......
    On the continent on steep climbs they have little lay-byes where you can rest/pull in - but not so here. I inched down very sloooowly. I had to be surgically removed from the steering wheel when finished!

Advertisement