Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study LC?!

Options
  • 13-07-2008 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm doing
    Biology HL
    French HL
    Physics HL
    Business HL
    Accounting HL
    English HL
    Irish HL
    Maths HL

until my mocks in 6th year..I want to get a head start on the courses what should i do to get a head start.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Are you going into fifth year now? If you're going into sixth year, you should already know what areas you need to focus on.

If you're going into fifth year.. ah, just keep your things ticking over, like Irish and French, by listening to RnaG etc. No point killing yourself over the summer tbh. You could read ahead in things (ie physics, biology etc.), so you've got a head start, but in my own experience, doing that can make class extremely boring because you already know what they're telling you.
    Depends on your teacher/class situation though. I taught myself most of the HL maths course because I did it before the rest of the class, then when the class did it some months later, it was a refresher for me, so that worked out well. On the other hand, I went ahead in physics which made class very boring because I had to sit through lengthy explanations of things I already understood.

Also, you don't want to burn yourself out. Basically once fifth year starts, you're going to be focusing on the LC for the next 2 years (I know in my case, we were set work to do over the summer after fifth year), so enjoy your break! It's summer, have fun, relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

I agree with everything said above, but if you want some tips I'd say look at exam papers. This is what you'll be doing for a lot of sixth year. Even just familiarising yourself with the layout and time structure for each paper will be a bonus. People still struggle with time management in the real thing, it should never be overlooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭annie19

my advise would be to do about 4 hrs 5 days a week whille your off. it will give u a good head start. do subjects that u find hardest. eg HL business would not need a whole lot of time for a clever person coz its very easy compared to physics or HL Maths. dont burn yourself out and also keep it quite that ur workin @ d books as otherwise the head start wont be as efficent! i think its to soon to get in2 exam papers coz u need to have a good idea of the course first. what u cud do is look over each syallbi. some teachers that i have had in the past did not stick to it and i found i got higher grades cause i made sure that i covered that needed to be covered. also n most subject (esp business) the questions are pharsed exactly as they are stated in the syabulls. many teachers dont realise this nevermind students. the thing i found about the LC is you can study for hrs nd hrs on end but you need to have many other things planned as well. neat writing on the day good standard of eng no matter what the sub (its all about impression) stree is another big factorthings like that
    the best of Luck

4 hours, five days a week? During Summer?! I barely did this amount in sixth year, let alone the summer before sixth year.

OP : Have you started drinking alcohol yet? It'll really sort out your priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Do maths. Trust me, if you can nail HL maths before you get back to school, the lack of pressure there will be phenomonal

• Advertisement

well maybe thats where u went wrong i mean to say thats the choice u made. everybody to their own. 4 hrs is not much when ur not going to school. i mean there is still loads of time to relax and in fact be a bit smug! and as for the drinking part do u think im a looser r something? drikning in moderation is good. its the balance between work and play mate!

annie19 wrote: »
    well maybe thats where u went wrong i mean to say thats the choice u made. everybody to their own. 4 hrs is not much when ur not going to school. i mean there is still loads of time to relax and in fact be a bit smug! and as for the drinking part do u think im a looser r something? drikning in moderation is good. its the balance between work and play mate!

Excuse me? "Where I went wrong"? Where are you getting that from? Have you seen my results or something?
    Fair enough that to each their own, but I really don't think 4 hours during summer is warranted at all. 6th year is a stressful year, full of work and pressure, and I think these last months of summer should be enjoyed, and if someone is going to try do some school work, it should be very little. Something along the lines of what I said in my first post on this thread, or even just planning your study progress through the year and practising.

You seem to have taken some sort of offence to my post, which was not my intention at all. What I said about alcohol was joking, and more importantly, you'll notice that before I mentioned alcohol, I said "OP :". Perhaps you missed this, or perhaps you're not familiar with this acronym, but it stands for "original poster". So that last bit was directed at the guy who posted this thread, not you. Maybe that's "where you went wrong".

I didn't mean to offend you or anything in my post, but I think your reaction was unfairly patronising towards me. How would you feel if I told you I did my LC last year and got 600 points or something? (obviously this is not the case). I don't like internet fighting and all that, and especially when it's hijacking someone else's thread so apologies to the OP.

The Walsho wrote: »
    Excuse me? "Where I went wrong"? Where are you getting that from? Have you seen my results or something?
    Fair enough that to each their own, but I really don't think 4 hours during summer is warranted at all. 6th year is a stressful year, full of work and pressure, and I think these last months of summer should be enjoyed, and if someone is going to try do some school work, it should be very little. Something along the lines of what I said in my first post on this thread, or even just planning your study progress through the year and practising.

You seem to have taken some sort of offence to my post, which was not my intention at all. What I said about alcohol was joking, and more importantly, you'll notice that before I mentioned alcohol, I said "OP :". Perhaps you missed this, or perhaps you're not familiar with this acronym, but it stands for "original poster". So that last bit was directed at the guy who posted this thread, not you. Maybe that's "where you went wrong".

I didn't mean to offend you or anything in my post, but I think your reaction was unfairly patronising towards me. How would you feel if I told you I did my LC last year and got 600 points or something? (obviously this is not the case). I don't like internet fighting and all that, and especially when it's hijacking someone else's thread so apologies to the OP.

yes i have to admit i took your point the wrong way. I was not sure what OP meant so i ignored it. I apologise. i just think that a few hrs a day especially if a student hasn't got a real busy summer planned will be of benfit in the long run. its fair to say that the LC year is long but its broken up so much. before you know where you are its xmas and then the mocks, then prep for the orals and so on. maybe u understand my point of view a bit better now as i think i made my point clearer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

ohsheaa wrote: »
    I'm doing
    Biology HL
    French HL
    Physics HL
    Business HL
    Accounting HL
    English HL
    Irish HL
    Maths HL

until my mocks in 6th year..I want to get a head start on the courses what should i do to get a head start.?

Looking at exam papers is definitely the best way to start. The HL English and Irish exams were extremely intimidating the first time I saw them, but if you're aware of the layout it's a big help.

HL Maths - if you can nail the basics of every topic (the part A's on the exam paper) , then you'll be well prepared for the harder stuff you'll do in class (B's and C's)

French - Learn your verbs! They are so important - recognising tenses and correctly identifying Passe Compose/Conditionnel/Subjonctif is crucial. Reading short texts in French could also be helpful.

Physics and Biology - not much to say here other than read chapters of your book and learn stuff!!

I can't help you with Business or Accounting as I never did them.

It would be great to get a head start, but don't go overdoing it or anything. Your Leaving Cert is still quite a long while away - during 6th year you'll have very little time to relax, so you might as well take it easy now! :)

Advertisement