Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who'd win in a race F1 car vs moto gp bike

• 13-07-2008 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Who'd win in a race F1 car vs moto gp bike ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

MooseJam wrote: »
    Who'd win in a race F1 car vs moto gp bike ?

F1 car they go faster round corners because they have more grip. Look at the track times at circuits that are in both series like sepang F1 lap is around 1m30s Motogp is around 2m10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I believe that The GP bike is quicker off the line up to about 120MPH. But overall on a lap, F1 is by far quicker, as shown by the times above.

Rather watch MotoGP tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

is it not dependent on the track more so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

About 10 years ago one of the car mags compared a Peugeot 406 BTCC car and I think a Superbike around Donnington. Now I cannot remember the exact outcome but I remember being surprised at how quick the toruing car was relative to the bike.

And obviously a F1 car would destroy a BTCC car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

F1 definitely

• Advertisement

Trippie wrote: »
    is it not dependent on the track more so

The track determines how much the MotoGP gets left in the dust, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

No challange there. F1 car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

I'd imagine it depends a lot on what track they were racing on. I'd say that MotoGP bikes have better acceleration, so a track with lots of sharp slow corners may favour them.

It is hard to compare them in reality for you aren't comparing like with like. Somebody mentioned that on tracks where F1 and MotoGP both race, the F1 cars have much faster times, but much of this supposed advantage can be explained by tyres. In MotoGP a bike does the whole race on one set of tyres and has to start with full race fuel, as in general barring mid-race rain or technical problems, the riders go from start to finish without pitting, whereas in F1, the cars start the race with almost fresh tyres and 20 laps of fuel, then they will perhaps go in for 2-3 new sets of tyres/fuel during the race.

F1 cars also have the advantage of aerodynamic developments to force the cars down onto the track, which greatly aid grip and traction. Allowing for this, on an average(mixture of corners) track, F1 cars should have an edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

car on the corners alone.

heyjude wrote: »
    It is hard to compare them in reality for you aren't comparing like with like. Somebody mentioned that on tracks where F1 and MotoGP both run

Actually, it is like for like. You are comparing two racing machines, based on their regs and comparing their pace on a typical race setup. Its the only way you can do it, otherwise it just becomes a pointless debate about the differences between the vehicles, rather than their peformance. The bike is lighter, bike has a smaller contact patch, f1 car has wings etc etc. It doesnt really matter.

That said, bang a set of tyres that need to last the distance of a typical MotoGp race on an F1 car and you are looking 3-5sec/lap lost at most. In fact, I would be shocked it if looked like 5secs.

Slow tight tracks would be interesting, bike has it ib acceleration, but F1 has better mechanical grip. I think overall the F1 would still be faster on a typical tight track such as Monaco. Then again, a 250cc kart is quicker than F1 around there....Anyone know if a MotoGP/Superbike has been around Monaco?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Q.E.D.
    Thank you kaizersoze.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

How about F1 v Lear jet then, or is that just being silly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

that is a bit silly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

Monaco would be one of the only ones where Moto GP would have a slim chance of being quicker
    Stoner, Pedrosa, Rossi et al around Monaco .................... an off would definitely hurt......... better leave Lorenzo even Pedrosa at home. Marco is being sent home anyway.
    A 250 Kart would be awesome round there.

Advertisement