Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Position when first in queue to turn right at junction

Options
  • 13-07-2008 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Can anyone clear this issue up for me? I've asked a few drivers but they don't seem very sure. I would really appreciate any advice.

Question 1
    I'm first in the queue to turn right at a major junction (with no yellow box). The lights go green. Am I supposed to move forward into the junction while waiting for my opportunity to turn right? I think an old instructor told me I should and called it 'seizing the junction'.

Question 2
    If the answer to the above is yes, what do I then do if I don't get any break in traffic and no filter light comes on? Am I supposed to scoot around between just before the red light?

I feel like I should be out in the junction every time, waiting to turn, but at the moment, because I don't know what to do if I don't get a break, I only move forward when I can see a clear break or I know that a right filter will follow (because I'm used to that particular set of lights, for example). I'm afraid that if I don't move forward in my test, I'll be marked for not making progress.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

As far as im aware you move out till the nose of your car is in line with the centre line of the rooad you are turning into.

If your the second car you wait behind the stop line or the traffic light till the way is clear for you to procede.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Q1. Yes
    Q2. Yes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

As far as im aware you move out till the nose of your car is in line with the centre line of the rooad you are turning into.

If your the second car you wait behind the stop line or the traffic light till the way is clear for you to procede.

Yup, spot on.

Once you're in position you "control" the junction and can move whenever it is safe to do so. That is, at any light colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 betterdrive.net

jodyanne wrote: »
    Can anyone clear this issue up for me? I've asked a few drivers but they don't seem very sure. I would really appreciate any advice.

Question 1
    I'm first in the queue to turn right at a major junction (with no yellow box). The lights go green. Am I supposed to move forward into the junction while waiting for my opportunity to turn right? I think an old instructor told me I should and called it 'seizing the junction'.

Question 2
    If the answer to the above is yes, what do I then do if I don't get any break in traffic and no filter light comes on? Am I supposed to scoot around between just before the red light?

I feel like I should be out in the junction every time, waiting to turn, but at the moment, because I don't know what to do if I don't get a break, I only move forward when I can see a clear break or I know that a right filter will follow (because I'm used to that particular set of lights, for example). I'm afraid that if I don't move forward in my test, I'll be marked for not making progress.

Any thoughts?

Question 1.
    Yes the first car should move to the centerand wait if there is oncoming traffic.

Question 2.

If you have moved out to the middle and there is no gap in the traffic you can turn when the light changes. Word of caution, check that all traffic is stationary before commiting to the turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

I think the answer would be the same even if there is a yellow box. It's ok to drive into, and stop in a yellow box, if you are turning right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You have to try and make progress. I was stuck at a junction today for 3 red lights because the person at the top who was turning right wouldn't pull forward and try to position themselves correctly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

dudara wrote: »
    You have to try and make progress. I was stuck at a junction today for 3 red lights because the person at the top who was turning right wouldn't pull forward and try to position themselves correctly.

That ALWAYS happens on Dorset St. heading towards town just after the North Circular Rd. too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Question 1. Yes you are expected to move forward, even if there is a yellow box.
    Question 2. If the road is busy and you don't get a chance to make the turn before the light turns red, you are required to complete the turn to insure you do not block the junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jodyanne

Thank you so much for all the replies. I felt like moving forward was the right thing to do when you're first but I got a fright last week when I moved into the junction and then couldn't make the turn until the lights went red. It made me doubt myself!

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

my g/f failed her test for staying in a yellow box in this situation. The driver coming in the opposite direction broke the red light, and she assumed that if she continued she would be breaking the red, therefore failing. The idea is that as you move from behind the stop line, you are beginning your turn (while the light is green). You may complete the turn on red.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

when you go past the line on the green light you 'own/have taken possession of' the junction and are not then controlled by red light check www.drivingschoolireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭yknaa

I seem to remember that if you do not move out into the junction then it
    is an automatic fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

yknaa wrote: »
    is an automatic fail.
    that is my understanding too

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

yknaa wrote: »
    is an automatic fail.

Tbh honest i'm not too sure whether it's an automatic fail or not. It's definitely at least a grade 2. My gut is telling me it is an automatic fail, but i dont know for definite.

Advertisement