Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭mediacentre.ie

ok it seems to be a monthly thing. My downloads have rocketed back to 2.3mbps!

just as FIFA09 was posted. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Ive had the same problems for the past week or so with speeds dropped to unusable levels, its been interfering with gameplay on Xbox live as well, after calling UPC they say theres no problems with the line and say its not throttling either.... the technician was telling me he uses torrents on his own line and gets a perfect connection :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

well mine still suck :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭expatoz

no sure where to post this but if anyone knows please answer
    my upc/ntl/chorus account started the 1st of july 08 and the d/l u/p allowance was 120gb, i saw someone mention in one of the posts that the ultra (which i have) was 300gb b4 they changed to unlimited can anyone confirm that/

btw if signed to a 120gb allowance and now its "unlimited" does that mean my contract has been changed and i can bail out using that as an excuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 danny1976

good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Will check mine in the evening. Hope what you are saying is right and it gets better. It's really frustrating and I am really p****d off. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Well mine is still brutal.
    RS files are now not downloading at all, left some running overnight, still all on 0%. Tried a restart there, still the same.
    Torrents are downloading but the fastest speed has been 11kb/s!!!!
    Getting 0kb/s for upload speed.

As with the rest of you, I'm pretty pissed off with this.
    When I rang to get my free 10meg upgrade I asked the guy what was the cap, he said unlimited.....within reason. I asked what was within reason, he said once I wasn't downloading everyday during peak hours it'd be all fine. I'd say in the last month I've downloaded at most 10gb, mainly at night. I don't download games/movies, I mainly get TV shows. I can't see myself staying with them if they keep this up.

^^ Same here. I mostly download tv shows and it hardly crosses more than 10gb a month. Thats less than 15gb cap that was previously in place. Still the bloody f*****s are throttling everyones connection.

If they keep on like this, they are surely going to loose some business.

In fairness if it says unlimited cap thats false advertising if they are going to hammer people over exceeding an unspecified limit!

Has anyone else's speeds kicked back up? it seems to be torrents are hammerd for me, downloads from an FTP are fairly fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I think they are throttling indiscriminately, i.e its not about how much you have downloaded.
    They could be using sandvine technology.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭mediacentre.ie

my was back perfect since 12am on the botton. Is no one elses back up and running???

Mine still the same. No improvement :(

So they theory about month end is out of the window. B******s....

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭expatoz

no improvement, end of month theory doesn't hold.

No improvement whatsoever :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Definately something up here on my UPC connection. Downloading through HTTP at 1Mb/sec but torrents are barely getting 10kb/sec even though I am connected to over 100 seeds.... go figure. Normally would get about 300kb/sec to 400kb/sec depending on the actual torrent but I usually download the same one each week so should know what the average is for this type.
    Is there any way to conclusively prove that you are being throttled or is it all just guesswork?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I'm on UPC and getting 1200k/s+ on torrents atm from private sites. I find the router complete cock, it seems to like messing with port forwarding. My solution was to disable upnp on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Does Outgoing encryption work?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I've it enabled purely so I can connect to people forcing it. It's not really encryption anyway, just obfuscating.

Tazzle wrote: »
    I'm on UPC and getting 1200k/s+ on torrents atm from private sites. I find the router complete cock, it seems to like messing with port forwarding. My solution was to disable upnp on it.

Any suggestions for people just using the modem straight to the pc?

Tazzle wrote: »

I disabled UPnP in the router setting. Still nothing :( It doesnt seem to have any effect at all. The speed hardly going over 10-15 KB/s Really pathatic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

Today ive been having terrible speeds too. At one point i changed the utorrent port and the dl speed shot up to 1MB/s but after about a min it went back to really slow.

I think il join the crusade and ring upc tomorrow just so they know people arent happy :mad:

*snip*

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

For all those that said RapidShare was safe hosting copyright material, here's the beginning of the end for the site

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081001-german-court-says-rapidshare-must-get-proactive-on-copyrighted-content.html
    File sharing service RapidShare may find itself without a viable business model if a German court ruling stands. After getting sued by a German copyright holder, the company argued that it was doing all it could to screen out copyrighted material. The court, however, has ruled that its efforts were insufficient, raising questions about whether doing anything that was legally sufficient could be done without incurring enough costs to sink the company.
    Related Stories

* No safe harbor for RapidShare in copyright infringement case

RapidShare is one of a large number of companies that will host large files for users who need to exchange them with friends and family. Like many of these companies, it offers a free service with limited features in the hopes of enticing users to spring for the cost of a premium service, which offers some significant perks, such as hosting larger files, unlimited download speeds, and permanent storage. All of this occurs through a simple web interface, and doesn't involve the P2P transfers that have attracted the ire of ISPs and the copyright industry. As a result, their popularity is growing rapidly; RapidShare accounts for five percent of all IP traffic in some regions.

Of course, the exchange of large files is what P2P was all about, so it's no surprise that copyrighted material is showing up on RapidShare, as well; attention from copyright holders was also inevitable. In this case, that attention came in the form of a lawsuit in Germany, where a copyright holding organization called GEMA has been seeking legal sanction and financial penalties. As we noted in our earlier coverage, Germany lacks the "safe harbor" provisions afforded to US companies, which are exempted from liability for infringing material that their users place on servers or make accessible through their networks if they take it offline once notified of its infringing nature.

The case has been going poorly for RapidShare so far, and it appears to have taken a turn for the worse. The P2P Blog notes that the German courts have issued a ruling (in German, naturally) in which their expectations for RapidShare's antipiracy efforts are spelled out more clearly.

RapidShare argued in court that it maintained hashes of copyrighted material that had appeared on their service in the past, and used those to prescreen material that is uploaded. In addition, it had hired six full-time staff members to go through material it was hosting and to respond to complaints about infringing material. None of this, apparently, is good enough. Simply twiddling a few bits could defeat the hash-based screening, the court ruled, and the six employees were insufficient to proactively examine everything posted to the company's servers before it was made available for download.

The blog translates part of the decision as stating, "a business model that doesn't use common methods of prevention cannot claim the protection of the law," in determining that the near impossibility of screening for all copyrighted material doesn't excuse RapidShare from the legal requirement to do so. I'm hard pressed to think of a "common method" that would suffice to enable the screening of this volume of data. As a result, it looks as though RapidShare may be forced to manually screen every bit of uploaded content. Closing its doors is likely to be a cheaper option should the ruling stand.

I'd expect all the big buys to start going in for the kill in time,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

you seem chuffed ? I'd imagine someone else would just take up the slack, probably from a country that doesn't care too much about copyrights

so did anyone call ntl ? I'd do it myself but can't face the 30 mins on hold :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

MooseJam wrote: »
    so did anyone call ntl ? I'd do it myself but can't face the 30 mins on hold :)

Yes I did. See my post for more info.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

you seem chuffed ? I'd imagine someone else would just take up the slack, probably from a country that doesn't care too much about copyrights

Nah certainly not chuffed, more along the lines of I've posted previously advised people that no service is foul proof and 100% safe from the law and the likes of the MPAA, RIAA, BSA, they have very long arms.

Posting all your "questionable" content with one company on just there servers never seemed like a good idea to start with when compared with bittorrent which is much much harder to shutdown.

No doubt somebody with rise from the ashes and take there place when it does eventually happen.

Cabaal wrote: »
    bittorrent which is much much harder to shutdown.

wasn't very hard for NTL to shut it down :(

wasn't very hard for NTL to shut it down :(

True to a point, but very easy to still use bittorrent in a round about way to download content,

Get yourself a dedicated server and download to this then download to your content to your PC via ftp or http and unless UPC throttle this (http or ftp) there's nothing they can do and you can max out your connection :)

lol it'd probably be cheaper to buy the stuff, how much would a server cost ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I have Eircom 3mb broadband and my download speeds aren't anything to write home about. Generally between 50kbps or so. I was using bittorrent, and am now going to utorrent a go. Can anyone suggest anything to improve my speed?

Advertisement