Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

if im extremely lucky i get to over 100kb/s down,but strangely i can get torrents to upload at anything up to 140 kb/s anyone have any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

The reason private is faster is the torrents are much better seeded and that's the only reason. The public trackers are full of people with bits of files, corrupt files, and screwed up versions. Mostly junk in other words. The private site I am on has plenty of members with 100MB seedboxes so I can nearly always get 350KB/s which is max on my line. The hard part is getting your upload ratio back up so you don't get banned off the site... another reason they are so fast, so many people eager to seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Scotty # wrote: »
    The reason private is faster is the torrents are much better seeded and that's the only reason. The public trackers are full of people with bits of files, corrupt files, and screwed up versions. Mostly junk in other words. The private site I am on has plenty of members with 100MB seedboxes so I can nearly always get 350KB/s which is max on my line. The hard part is getting your upload ratio back up so you don't get banned off the site... another reason they are so fast, so many people eager to seed.

Are you with NTL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I sent an email to NTL yesterday, they haven't replied yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Did encryption work, MosseJam?

• Advertisement

no didnt make any difference for me

OK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Throttling has gotten even worse for me. Private torrents start at 180KB/sec ish, and fizzle down to 5-10KB/sec. Public trackers don't even connect.

NTL are a right ****ing shower. Theres no way on gods green earth I'm staying with them if its like this for much longer.

The-Game wrote: »
    Are you with NTL?

No. Irish Broadband. 3MB up and 3MB down. I've had my ups and downs with them over the years but they have improved a lot in fairness.

To those having problems... I used to use port 80 (for web traffic I know) and it used to max out in public trackers so maybe give that a try. And to those using the TCP patch... you have to reapply the patch after every windows update.

This is a guide to setting up utorrent, by far the best and fastest torrent client, that was originally written by one of the members on our private site.

It's pretty much the ultimate guide and explains every option on the software.

http://filesharefreak.com/tutorials/utorrent-installation-setup-and-optimization/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

what has anyone who has contacted upc said to them?? I mean i can't imagine that "hey stop throttling my bittorrent connections please!" would get you anywhere!? I want to ring and complain but I dunno what to say...

dhaddock wrote: »
    what has anyone who has contacted upc said to them?? I mean i can't imagine that "hey stop throttling my bittorrent connections please!" would get you anywhere!? I want to ring and complain but I dunno what to say...

True, when i was on to them i was complaining that speeds were slow and they said i should use utorrent and it should work fine, next call the guy says oh well if your using torrent then its your own problem if its slow......

Scotty # wrote: »
    This is a guide to setting up utorrent, by far the best and fastest torrent client, that was originally written by one of the members on our private site.

It's pretty much the ultimate guide and explains every option on the software.

http://filesharefreak.com/tutorials/utorrent-installation-setup-and-optimization/
    Thats a good guide imho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'm pretty sure it's traffic shaping using Sandvine products, PG2 has detected
    it.

barnicles wrote: »
    Thats a good guide imho...

yeah its a pretty good guide alright, might help!

How does PG2 detect that?

whats the story with the ftp scene, I used to swap accounts with likeminded people a few years ago, does that still go on ? is it much hassle setting up an ftp server behind your router ? is it even possible, do I need a staic ip ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

MooseJam wrote: »
    whats the story with the ftp scene, I used to swap accounts with likeminded people a few years ago, does that still go on ? is it much hassle setting up an ftp server behind your router ? is it even possible, do I need a staic ip ?
    No. You can still run a ftp with a dynamic ip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

so anyone got anything new? have ntl/upc admitted it? are they going to stop? etc etc

i doubt theyll ever stop doing it if its saving them money, best thing one can hope for is they may stop the trafficing from being so severe.

• Advertisement

do NTL not own the bandwidth

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Setup Utorrent, done everything that was suggested with the link provided earler and follwed portforwarding instructions etc, still get error when trying to forward a port number....anyone know why this would be? Went into settings of my wirelss modem and setup it up but still no joy.....

Does it matter?

Edit: Got it sorted.....Still no great leap in speed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye out on that one myself. The main thing is the ridiculous comments and lack of technichal knowledge of the judges. In theory checking things sounds simple (even if the quantities of data would require thousands upon thousands of staff to check the new files bieng upped), but when passwords come into play then they'd be hacking into users private data. Fair enough, they may contain copywrited materials, but they may also have a home movie of a kids birthday party which has been upped for relatives on the other side of the world. They may have adult pictures of a private nature, stored there specifically to prevent them from being found by the owners friends/family on a shared PC. God knows, I'd not want such images being stumbled upon by housemates and becoming public. Ahem, if they existed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

already mentioned in P2P thread, merging with P2P thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Although, one thing I've noticed, is that since this traffic shaping has been going on I've not go disconnected one. So I'm trading stability for torrents?

That, or the network was unstable because the ****s were installing the means to throttle the torrents.

[edit] Gah! And its so blatant. I start a torrent, the light goes green(bit tornado), everything connects. 40 seeds. Speed shoots to 500KB/sec, and suddenly drops rapidly until its completely dead after a few seconds. :(
    [edit2] Scratch that stable connection, got disconnected for 3 hours earlier.

Mine havent gotten to the point where they just die at least!! still manage to DL them just with a huge reduction in speed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

We should do something about this everyone is getting throttled..Can we do something??? everyone email to comreg or whatever government agency looks after broadband!!!! Ideas anyone?????
    334874341.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

AFAIK Comreg have stated that it is not their job to police BB policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dean_n

I havn't had time to read through the whole thread but judging on some of the recent comments everyones still getting bad speeds on ntl? I've gone from getting 1.2mb/s last week to getting 15kb/s now. Won't budge over that. Tried changing port and everything nothing is working. Sounds a bit too simple but does anyone know if just changing torrent clients would work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

I doubt it it seems the brakes have been slammed on on the whole concept of torrent downloading

Advertisement