Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

:mad: Back down again

Is anyone outside the east coast having bittorrent speed issues where there were none before? I have tested numerous galway locations and no issues here at least. Are the problems limited to the east coast?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

If I connect my broadband up through the enthernet cable to the back of my pc, will that speed my downloads speed up? I am using wireless at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

I'm getting full speed on wireless. But ethernet is the best connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

I was getting full speeds on torrents over the weekend. Haven t done much but tested it so hopefully it is back to Normal

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    If I connect my broadband up through the enthernet cable to the back of my pc, will that speed my downloads speed up? I am using wireless at the moment.

If your connection is maxed out over wireless then connecting with cat5 will in the vast majority of cases cause at least some speed increase. Wireless connections that suffer from interferance can actually lose 80% of the available bandwidth. For example i am on 20mb broadband, I was getting 1.3 mb/s on channel 6 so i changed the routher and laptop wireless card to differant channels and now get 1.8 mb/s over wireless. I get 2.4 mb/s with ethernet cable, quite a differance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Torrents fine again here on NTL 6MB getting around 450kb on wireless so happy enough :D Were terrible for the last few weeks aouldn't go above 30-40.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

NO one is talking about uploads, which is still really bad and which is very important if you are using private tracker. How the hell anyone is going to manage their ratio??? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

coldfire1x wrote: »
    How the hell anyone is going to manage their ratio??? :(

you can donate a few quid on a few trackers and buy upload credit ;) or else go get yourself a seedbox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

going out and buying the stuff would be cheaper than a seedbox :)

MooseJam wrote: »
    going out and buying the stuff would be cheaper than a seedbox :)

Very far from true, [url]hxxp://hosting-ie.com/content/view/27/77/[/url]
    The 'Raptor 3' package, 25 euro, uploaded 8 Tb in 4 weeks, takes care of ratio on private sites for a lifetime! Mate had a dedi server with them, 130 for 3 months - 36 tb upped!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

would connecting to bittorrent through port 80 (i.e. the http port) have any bearing on the speed of the downloads?
    I have an old machine that I only use for downloading and burning off DVDs, and I use my laptop for gaming, work, surfing, etc, so it's no loss to me from that point of view.
    Would the traffic only register as going through the http port, and assume it's http transfer or download?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

would connecting to bittorrent through port 80 (i.e. the http port) have any bearing on the speed of the downloads?
    I have an old machine that I only use for downloading and burning off DVDs, and I use my laptop for gaming, work, surfing, etc, so it's no loss to me from that point of view.
    Would the traffic only register as going through the http port, and assume it's http transfer or download?

I think what they are doing is blocking you from connecting to other peers which is what torrents are all about so no I don't think port 80 would work.

There was a post above which describes the type of throttling what seems to happening on NTL and other ISPs everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

JPA wrote: »
    I think I know what you're saying. :P

What you need is to rent a dedicated server or seedbox as it is called on torrent sites. You can then remote access it and use it download and upload torrents, you could then copy them to your PC.

I can't recommend any sites or anything as I have never done but they are quite popular on some private torrent sites.

I found one on imageshack ta

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I decided to go and get 10mb bb from upc cause im going to be staying up in Dundrum for a while. If I use RS will I get really good download speeds because it will be straight from a server?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I have the 10mb from upc in the dundrum area and I get anywhere from 1.1 to 1.5 MB/sec from rapidshare, I only download in offpeak hours though so as not to antagonise them, torrents are pretty good at the moment too, depending on what I download am getting up to 500/600 KB/sec. Flashget for rapidshare and azureus with the speed scheduler plugin can both be set up to start/finish downloading automatically during off-peak hours so you can just queue up your downloads during the day and they will download at night, I find it very handy doing it that way, and no one else in the house complains about their browsing being affected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭TLG

my torrent speeds are very slow. a while back, like weeks or months ago i got blazing speeds over 1mb/s. and on steam i can still download games at 2.2mb/s.

but my torrents have gone painfully slow. i get like 10kb/s download speed on most torrents if i am lucky. in fact one of them right now has 39 seeds and only getting 0.3kb/s download speed, another has 900 seeds and only getting 4.6kb/s. i tried the 'protocol encryption' stuff in utorrent. i tried forwarding the ports on my router and also tried connecting directly from modem.

but my speeds are still terrible.

is there any way to get my speed back again or should i move provider? what is a good broadband provider in dublin with extremely fast speeds and none of this BS?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Just got a Linksys WRT54GL for my UPC 20mb, loaded up a torrent (private) and got 2.0mb/s solid straight off the bat. Huge improvement on response and speeds for me. Before I could get around 1.1mb/s with a few torrents combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

are u you using this as your modem or just as your router ?

Router of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭obsydion

Hope this doesn't get lost in this massive thread...

I'm currently on a 1MB NTL/Chorus connection. Yes I realise that is quite slow nowadays, I am planning to upgrade to 10MB very soon

The problem I'm having is that every time I have Transmission (v1.64(6770)) running, the internet starts to crawl to a halt/becomes intermittent. Now I know it's not the bandwidth getting chewed up by the downloads on Transmission because it never gets past about 20KB/s. I have forwarded the ports for Transmission. Can somebody explain to me why it's doing this and if there's a solution? Let me know if I need to provide more info.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Tazzle wrote: »
    Just got a Linksys WRT54GL for my UPC 20mb, loaded up a torrent (private) and got 2.0mb/s solid straight off the bat. Huge improvement on response and speeds for me. Before I could get around 1.1mb/s with a few torrents combined.

I use the same modem but use the DD-WRT firmware. This allows you to overclock(quite a bit) the modem and you can manually set the number of tcp-ip connections that can be opened simultaneously and for how long to keep them open after no activity. The effect being a more responsive router, connects to peers much faster and never never overloads because of too many connections. Glad your getting better speeds Tazzle!
    obsydion wrote:
    I'm currently on a 1MB NTL/Chorus connection. Yes I realise that is quite slow nowadays, I am planning to upgrade to 10MB very soon.

Upc dont provide 1mb connections, you must be on 3mb, are you getting the correct speeds for 3mb? If not try restarting your modem and it should change up to 3mb.

As regards Transmission, i used it in the past and had memory leak proplems, Utorrent instead??

david7536 wrote: »
    Upc dont provide 1mb connections, you must be on 3mb, are you getting the correct speeds for 3mb? If not try restarting your modem and it should change up to 3mb.

As regards Transmission, i used it in the past and had memory leak proplems, Utorrent instead??

Actually it's a carry over from an old plan before the NTL/Chorus merger https://www.upc.ie/internet/. I've tried the old 'restart the modem' solution many times to no avail. I've tried plugging straight into the modem and by passing the wireless router but also to no avail.

I know how good Utorrent is but since I'm running Mac OS X I can't run it. Transmission has been fantastic for me everywhere else but I've just moved into this apartment with this particular setup

obsydion wrote: »
    Actually it's a carry over from an old plan before the NTL/Chorus merger https://www.upc.ie/internet/. I've tried the old 'restart the modem' solution many times to no avail. I've tried plugging straight into the modem and by passing the wireless router but also to no avail.

I know how good Utorrent is but since I'm running Mac OS X I can't run it. Transmission has been fantastic for me everywhere else but I've just moved into this apartment with this particular setup

But they really dont have a 1mb plan anymore (as your link shows!) buzz them and they will upgrade you.

thepiratebay.org/torrent/4408869/uTorrent_for_Mac_-_BoY_HacKeR enjoy!

But they really dont have a 1mb plan anymore (as your link shows!) buzz them and they will upgrade you.

thepiratebay.org/torrent/4408869/uTorrent_for_Mac_-_BoY_HacKeR enjoy!

I've actually only just moved into the apartment with this setup, unfortunately my housemate wasn't very computer literate so would have sat on it for god knows how long. Thanks for the link mate :D

I use the same modem but use the DD-WRT firmware. This allows you to overclock(quite a bit) the modem and you can manually set the number of tcp-ip connections that can be opened simultaneously and for how long to keep them open after no activity. The effect being a more responsive router, connects to peers much faster and never never overloads because of too many connections. Glad your getting better speeds Tazzle!

I didn't even use the original firmware, straight on with dd-wrt. I got the router for the sole purpose of using dd-wrt. Fantastic features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Hattrick

Have been waiting since last Friday to get an answer from UPC. A rep told me that there no limits on my account but I have asked him to clarify with technical support.

EMAILS TO UPC (NEWEST ON TOP)
    Hi Stephen

Thank you for your quick response. Although I am getting great speeds browsing webpages and understand that I have unlimited downloads caps, I have found that speed seems to be extremely limited to near dialup speeds if using bit torrent. This is done by a few internet providers around the world and is called traffic shaping. I understand that UPC may be doing this to limit / block illegal file sharing but there are many legal uses for bit torrent such as downloading open source software and linux distributions. Also UPC seem to be the only provider in Ireland doing this at present.

There are many discussions on Irish websites about UPC implementing traffic shaping to block/limit bit torrent and I would like to know if this is true as it is not mentioned anywhere on your website/promotional material. I would be grateful if your could clarify if UPC operates filters on bit torrent with your technical team / management and respond.

Thanks again,
    XXXXX

On 29/10/2008 14:51, "UPC Customer Support" <customer.support@upc.ie> wrote:

Ref: 33****

DearXXXXX

Thank you for your email since you are on the ultra broadband package you will not have a limit on your service,

Regards,

Stephen.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on our freephone number 1908 or email us on customer.support@upc.ie

Kind regards,
    Stephen

Customer Support Team Chorus ntl

--Original Message--

Subject: Re: Technical Question: Broadband [#28****]

Hi Stephen

Thank you for your reply and apologies for not supplying my account details initially as I didn’t think it was necessary for the general service question I had. My account details are below as requested and I would be delighted if you could answer my question does UPC block/limit speeds on certain web traffic ports.

Regards,
    XXXXX

On 29/10/2008 13:49, "UPC Customer Support" <customer.support@upc.ie <http://ieroxegain/system/web/customer.support@upc.ie&gt; > wrote:

Ref: 33****

Dear XXXXX

Thank you for your email below.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to locate your account from the details provided below.

Please provide the following details so we can deal with your query.

Your customer account number
    The name and address on the account as it appears on your bill.
    The telephone number you provided us with when you set up your account.
    Regards,

Stephen.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on our freephone number 1908 or email us on customer.support@upc.ie <http://ieroxegain/system/web/customer.support@upc.ie&gt;

Kind regards,
    Stephen

Customer Support Team Chorus ntl

Chorus ntl, proud winner of the best Internet Service Provider 2008, has introduced a new Premium PC Support line to assist customers with a wide range of computer issues. For more information, please visit: http://www.upc.ie/internet/ <http://www.upc.ie/internet/&gt; -> q&a section -> What type of technical support is available.

--Original Message--
    Date: 23/10/2008 20:11:11
    Subject: Technical Question: Broadband

Hello

I am currently on your premium broadband package and have noticed that your speeds seem to be either extremely limited for blocked for bit-torrent traffic. There are many legal uses for Bit Torrent such as linux distributions which I am interested in.

Can you let me know if UPC is operating traffic shaping filters on certain downloads to limit speeds?

Regards,
    XXXXX

As a new UPC customer and torrentfreak I eagerly await the outcome of your query with UPC. I'm only on the 3MB plan at the moment and was thinking of going up to 10MB. However, if they are indeed slowing down torrent traffic then there's no point in me upgrading...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Hattrick

obsydion wrote: »
    As a new UPC customer and torrentfreak I eagerly await the outcome of your query with UPC. I'm only on the 3MB plan at the moment and was thinking of going up to 10MB. However, if they are indeed slowing down torrent traffic then there's no point in me upgrading...

Apparently I am on a 20Mb connection but torrent speeds and P2P are slower than when I was on eircom dialup! I have great speeds on general web browsing but anything using P2P / torrent ports is extremely limited for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

im on 20 mb and had 40 torrents open last night going to bed,got up to speeds of 1.5-2.6 mbs/s,when i woke this morning over half were downloaded,and some were fairly big files,i rang upc and complained 3 times and threatened to cancel and a few days later my speeds got better,maybe just pure coincidene ? ? ?

• Advertisement

im on 20 mb and had 40 torrents open last night going to bed,got up to speeds of 1.5-2.6 mbs/s,when i woke this morning over half were downloaded,and some were fairly big files,i rang upc and complained 3 times and threatened to cancel and a few days later my speeds got better,maybe just pure coincidene ? ? ?

Perhaps I should be complaining too then, my torrents are down to a fecking crawl. UPC can go to hell. Has anyone had any experience with Peer Guardian or anything of the sort? Would it help?

Advertisement