Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Why not get a seedbox? That'll sort these probs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

barnicles wrote: »
    Why not get a seedbox? That'll sort these probs

€€€

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

obsydion wrote: »
    Perhaps I should be complaining too then, my torrents are down to a fecking crawl. UPC can go to hell. Has anyone had any experience with Peer Guardian or anything of the sort? Would it help?

Peerguardian just blocks unwanted traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Not all traffic. Read their legal forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

is torrentz.com broken ? its only listing torrents from mininova, all the other sites appear to be gone, at least thats the case with the last 20 or so searches I ran

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

My speeds have been awful today. Absolutely dismal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Hey,

Anyone running on NTL broadband and getting any success with P2P?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

Ya P2P working ok. Not great but ok. Getting about 1.5mbps on my 20meg line. Should be getting 2.5 ish but, 1.5 ain't too bad. Rapidfind dls full 2.5mbps.

Sopcast , tvants etc all working fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭obsydion

72hundred wrote: »
    Hey,

Anyone running on NTL broadband and getting any success with P2P?

Ok this may be completely coincidental but after I complained (via email) about the speeds they picked up to maximum. I still haven't received a reply to that email yet. The other thing I did, which I think was more helpful, was to update my blocklist in Transmission, which I have never done.

obsydion wrote: »
    Ok this may be completely coincidental but after I complained (via email) about the speeds they picked up to maximum. I still haven't received a reply to that email yet. The other thing I did, which I think was more helpful, was to update my blocklist in Transmission, which I have never done.

I imagine that they must have unblocked your ports if your speeds picked up after the email.

I'll try my p2p soon, and see if it work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Any Amocom in Cork users out there having problems with torrents? Since Monday evening, all my torrents are showing as 'connection reset by peer'. I've blasted off a quick email asking them if they're blocking torrents (traffic shaping?) but not heard anything yet.

Just wondered if it's just me...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 calmoo

My torrents went really fast yesterday, got 1mbps on Top Gear, and around 700kb/s on all the others. Anyone else get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

Lads i have got 10mb UPC

Downloading from a private tracker i am only getting 300KB/s, where when i was with eircom i was getting 600KB/s

Using Usenet i am obly getting the same.

When i do a speed test it shows i have the full 10mb, or close enough.

Anyone know why this is happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 BLissIRL

Ntl are deffo up to something with traffic shaping. The last 2 nites the line is a blaze full up(20MB) and down on private tracker only a matter of time i too made several complaints to see jump a week later they are moving selected customers onto traffic shaping engines for sure .
    Roll on docsis 3.0 100 mb and they wont give a **** what goes up or down the line then hopefully.

Over the last few months the influx of customers taking ntl and the amazing 20MB (that is only there sometimes) - on has prolly led to slow but gradual upgrades to networks or traffic shaping our asses to cover the shortfall while they upgrade ???!!!!!

I can always max the 2.4MB down on private tracker, rarely up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

BLissIRL wrote: »
    Ntl are deffo up to something with traffic shaping. The last 2 nites the line is a blaze full up(20MB) and down on private tracker only a matter of time i too made several complaints to see jump a week later they are moving selected customers onto traffic shaping engines for sure .
    Roll on docsis 3.0 100 mb and they wont give a **** what goes up or down the line then hopefully.

Over the last few months the influx of customers taking ntl and the amazing 20MB (that is only there sometimes) - on has prolly led to slow but gradual upgrades to networks or traffic shaping our asses to cover the shortfall while they upgrade ???!!!!!

I can always max the 2.4MB down on private tracker, rarely up though.
    BLissIRL are you saying your connection is very good?

But that you had to complain for it to be good?!

Also what settings do you use? Any special ports?

Intresting to know as its driving me crazy at the moment!

Ye im saying it has alwys been pretty good vista xp pro the lot.
    I have however noticed a period of a few days here and there where it takes longer than usual for my seeds to connect.

I have moved house and im on a new UBR maybe that is it im in cork city .

Strange thing is i know a modem cloner dude and he tells me that when he clones a modem from another area he see's no slow down at all which tells me we are being slectivley chosen for traffic shaping ie heavey assed user = traffic shaping for you. The cloner dude can use another modem for a couple of days before shaping hits then he moves on to a new modem or mac and boom full speed again.

From what he tells me the speeds are being slowed more some than others depends on usage i guess.

Ports i am using are usually in the high range 625520 ish +20 or -20 and it runs like a dream download wise im with ntl 2 yrs now.

Upload is slow as a sick dog.(most of the time).

But yeah all round i am very happy with NTL as my upload problems i addressed with a 3 month rental of a seedbox i have uploaded 4.5tb to my fav tracker so no worries for me for a while lol.

If you fire up a vpn you will see speed jump straight away and the speed at which you connect to tracker also.

I used relakks and many others as vpn solutions and saw immeadiate results.

Long short of it is that they are shaping heavily and theres not much we can do except complain to the tech support and when they say "we dont do it", laugh and say you should read youre companies website as it says it there, then tell them what is the point in paying for 20mb if i can only use it when you say and also only use it the way you want me too thats like buying a car and the sales man saying you can only drive it on sunadys and maybe early hours of the morning. Threaten to kill the service and see what happens.
    I garauntee it will improve.

Since i have stopped uploading to tracker i have consistant fast download speeds with utorrent and netgaer router and new scientific atlantica cisco modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

BLissIRL wrote: »

But yeah all round i am very happy with NTL as my upload problems i addressed with a 3 month rental of a seedbox i have uploaded 4.5tb to my fav tracker so no worries for me for a while lol.

who did you rent off, how much did it cost ?

who did you rent off, how much did it cost ?

I rented mine from Dedimove and they were great was able to put my own xp pro key in at first log on and off i went from there.

It was roughly 50 a month which i paid for by allowing friends to ftp into her and rape whatever they wanted i charged them about 5 yo yo a month for access to ftp on seedbox lol .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 beny

None of the servers listed here seem to be working. No reaction to ping command, dead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭TLG

how do i fix this? i see plenty of people with the problems but no solution.

i've done hte port stuff with utorrent, the speeds are awful whether i'm using router or direct to modem, how do i fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

TLG wrote: »
    how do i fix this? i see plenty of people with the problems but no solution.

i've done hte port stuff with utorrent, the speeds are awful whether i'm using router or direct to modem, how do i fix it.

There is NO solution right now! It is system wide and as you can tell is impossible to circumvent.

JPA wrote: »
    There is NO solution right now! It is system wide and as you can tell is impossible to circumvent.
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Those sneaky, cheeky bastards!!! How dare they?:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 calmoo

Well my speeds are permanently up. On a good torrent im getting about 700kb/s. On a really good one I'm getting multiple peers uploading to me at about 200kb/s each.
    app-457837520220532820.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13 planning12

Hi I e-mail upc about this traffic shaping, here is the reply i got:

I have been advised by our Network Engineering department in the Netherlands the following:

To serve all our Internet customers in the best possible way ntl chorus deems it important to prioritise real time activities like email, MSN, chatten, browsing, streaming at times of high network utilization.

Traffic prioritising is limited to a limited number of traffic types, and only during peak times. Subsequently only the Internet experience a small group of Internet subscribers could be affected by this policy.

As a result these customers could experience, during short time intervals, a small decrease in the download and upload speed, when using news or P2P services.

UPC continuously tracks market developments, customer needs, and new applications to continue to deliver an optimal service.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on our freephone number 1908 or email us on [email]customer.support@upc.ie"customer.supp[/email]ort@upc.

planning12 wrote: »

I have been advised by our Network Engineering department in the Netherlands the following:

To serve all our Internet customers in the best possible way ntl chorus deems it important to prioritise real time activities like email, MSN, chatten, browsing, streaming at times of high network utilization.

Traffic prioritising is limited to a limited number of traffic types, and only during peak times. Subsequently only the Internet experience a small group of Internet subscribers could be affected by this policy.

As a result these customers could experience, during short time intervals, a small decrease in the download and upload speed, when using news or P2P services.

UPC continuously tracks market developments, customer needs, and new applications to continue to deliver an optimal service.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on our freephone number 1908 or email us on [email]customer.support@upc.ie"customer.supp[/email]ort@upc.

That's an interesting email.

planning12 wrote: »

"small decrease"???????????????????

i should be getting 2mb/s on my f**king torrents, instead they are all at like 10kb/s.

most of them i can't even get any download speed, it just stays at a standstill. when i have hundreds, sometimes thousands of seeds i expect to get some download speed.

MY TORRENTS WONT EVEN START

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

UPC are right in what there saying...at the end of the day only a very small percentage of there user base will be affected by P2P throttling, why don't people just download at night?

Cabaal wrote: »
    UPC are right in what there saying...at the end of the day only a very small percentage of there user base will be affected by P2P throttling, why don't people just download at night?
    because it's still slow at night. i wake up in the morning and **** all is downloaded and clearly it was still at the saem speeds.

and anyway even if it was that's not enough. why should i have to wait till tomorrow when the speeds i pay for should allow me to download something in 5-10 minutes(dvd-rip) to a couple hours(1080p film), yes it has been 2mb per second in the past, and even now if i download lets say a game from steam i get 2mb/second.

i download a lot, my judgements or choices are irrelevent and none of yours or their business. i don't know why you are defending the scumbags.

it is ridiculous to be on a service that advertises "up to 20mb speed" and be downloading torrents at 2kb/s.

• Advertisement

I just tested my speed at http://www.pcnineoneone.com/speedtest.html

The results:

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 1112 kbps (139 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 1156 kbps (144.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

I am on Broadband Ultra. Download speed is supposed to be 20mb/s, and upload speed is supposed to be 1.5mb/s. The upload speed is close enough(frankly I don't give a ****), and the download speed is nowhere NEAR what it should be.

Advertisement