Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

They are hardly scumbags but yes it is ridiculous.
    That letter is the first admission they are doing it. Also on private trackers upload is as important as download and upload is now stifled badly.

This method of blocking which means you can't connect to peers on a similar level to you ensures my upload is very sporadic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭TLG

JPA wrote: »
    They are hardly scumbags but yes it is ridiculous.
    That letter is the first admission they are doing it. Also on private trackers upload is as important as download and upload is now stifled badly.

This method of blocking which means you can't connect to peers on a similar level to you ensures my upload is very sporadic.
    Well on the few private trackers i'm on, my ratio is over 2:1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 MIM-104

Im Having Trouble using torrents in ul as they have blocked it i know there is a way around what im asking does anyone know how as i need it for reasons that are completly legal

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

TLG wrote: »
    and anyway even if it was that's not enough. why should i have to wait till tomorrow when the speeds i pay for should allow me to download something in 5-10 minutes(dvd-rip) to a couple hours(1080p film), yes it has been 2mb per second in the past, and even now if i download lets say a game from steam i get 2mb/second.

i download a lot, my judgements or choices are irrelevent and none of yours or their business. i don't know why you are defending the scumbags.

Legal DVD rips?...your kidding me right?
    Your choice of downloads do matter to UPC, your breaking their T&C's by downloading copyright material, lets be straight the majority of stuff off P2P (dvdrips, bluray ripps, episodes etc) is also copyright and UPC know this the same as every other ISP does.
    As such in the end there throttling really only affects heavy downloaders or people downloading copyright material,

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭pancake_tuesday

Instead of looking through 33 pages, is there no guide how to set up torrents with an eircom router?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Instead of looking through 33 pages, is there no guide how to set up torrents with an eircom router?
    heres my guide for this router, works for me

2mrzmub.jpg

get latest router firmware and install http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/download/netopia/firmware/2247NWG-firmware.bin
    In the address bar of your browser, type in 192.168.1.254 and click the Go button or hit enter on your keyboard.

1) Enter expert mode
    2) Click Update Router
    3) Click browse at the bottom right
    4) Browse to where you saved the file you downloaded earlier and select the file 2247NWG-firmware.bin

*Note: Once you take the next step, DO NOT, under any circumstances, interrupt the upload process as doing so may permanently damage the modem.

5) Click Update Software from PC.

The modem will take a minute or two to upload the new firmware. If at all possible, avoid using the computer completely until you see restart modem option, restart, give it a min or 2

i use bitcomet client: http://www.bitcomet.com/doc/download.htm

open router page, turn off router's firewall, you will be fine with computer's firewall
    go to custom services in the router page menu
    go to service name: and click bittorrent, click enable, make sure enable NAT box is ticked also, this forwards the right ports for you to use torrents

go to options in bitcomet menu, enter listen port 49550

click ok, done you should be good to go, keep your upload set to about 3/4 of your up limit,

the important thing is to have 2 green lights at the bottom of bitcomet, if you have a port blocked (yellow) this happens the odd time,just move your listening port up a notch, 49551, etc, also give permissions to your firewall to allow bitcomet in/out access

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I was recently shown a link to a youtube video which claims to increase speeds on utorrent.

I was skeptical because it figured it was bull****, but I gave it a go.

Basically you have to change a few numberings and advanced options around.

But I instantly gathered myself another 100-200kb/s on my download speeds which was incredible.

I'd definetly advise giving it a shot, and if it doesnt work, jsut reinstall utorrent and its gone, but I've had huge success as have a many of other people.

Just whack in something like " faster utorrent" on youtube and youll get a video, its well worth doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

I was recently shown a link to a youtube video which claims to increase speeds on utorrent.

I was skeptical because it figured it was bull****, but I gave it a go.

Basically you have to change a few numberings and advanced options around.

But I instantly gathered myself another 100-200kb/s on my download speeds which was incredible.

I'd definetly advise giving it a shot, and if it doesnt work, jsut reinstall utorrent and its gone, but I've had huge success as have a many of other people.

Just whack in something like " faster utorrent" on youtube and youll get a video, its well worth doing.

All the same tips a settings are on most private torrent trackers and even on Utorrents own forum. Does work with mixed results.
    Haven't used torrents much over the last month. Mainly rapidshare. But downloaded Sarah connor last night in under 3 mins. 2.4mbps all the way and seeded at 450kbps. Thats about as good as it gets on 20meg UPC.
    Used to get about 1.6mbps last month but it peaked and dropped alot. solid 2.4 last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Cabaal wrote: »
    UPC are right in what there saying...at the end of the day only a very small percentage of there user base will be affected by P2P throttling, why don't people just download at night?

Here here. For the most part I've actually stopped torrenting and only occasionally grab the odd linux distro here and there.

Alot of mates seem to do something similiar to myself, download a movie / series / album / whatever thinking that they'll enjoy it... get halfway through and get rid of it or archive / delete it. That's alot of wasted bandwidth and bandwidth isn't cheap.

These ISPs are well within their rights to throttle torrents if it's affecting their overall consumer base. As Cabaal has said, why not just download during the night? Set something up, go to bed - go to work / college / whatever and when ya get home download finished.

I hardly think half of you are sitting there watching a progress bar on a download... if you stopped paying attention to how long the download is taking and go off and do something else you'd hardly notice the time it's taken.

Cop on the lot of you.

Downloading at night only makes sense. Thats probably why I'm getting such high speeds. I download normally between 3am and 6am I just set my download manager to start at those times.

Only thing with UPC for me is at peak times might as welll have 2meg connection. Simple web browsing takes for ever between 4pm and 8pm. Even youtube clips take for ever to load.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

i download between 00:30 and 7:30, have no complaints about speed these days, the stuff is generally just there next morning

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Tooorbooo

if using rapidshare speed is great, but with torrents, ftp speed is very slow, it gets little better just at night time, like people were saying between 2am - 6am, you cant download fast at the day time or evening time... 17 - 1 :(((

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭viv.ie

Hi Guys
    Don'T know if this is the place to post this and sorry in advance if it deemed thread hijacking,but loads of experts on files and downloading are following this thread.My problem is downloading rar files from my rapidshare account using Flashget Download Manager.Most files I download just have a rar extension at the end and these I extract using 7Zip (freeware rar extractor)and have no problems,however some files I download have either a htm or html file extension after the rar and when I take them down my computer sees them as web pages and I cannot extract them!If I delete the htm at the end of the file I still can
    not extract either.If I delete the htm ext. before I load the file into the download manager it only downloads a tiny file about 5kb instead of the rapidshare file.I am new to rapidshare and suspect I am not doing something stupidly obvious.Any help would be much appreciated:).

viv.ie wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    Don'T know if this is the place to post this and sorry in advance if it deemed thread hijacking,but loads of experts on files and downloading are following this thread.My problem is downloading rar files from my rapidshare account using Flashget Download Manager.Most files I download just have a rar extension at the end and these I extract using 7Zip (freeware rar extractor)and have no problems,however some files I download have either a htm or html file extension after the rar and when I take them down my computer sees them as web pages and I cannot extract them!If I delete the htm at the end of the file I still can
    not extract either.If I delete the htm ext. before I load the file into the download manager it only downloads a tiny file about 5kb instead of the rapidshare file.I am new to rapidshare and suspect I am not doing something stupidly obvious.Any help would be much appreciated:).

any rapidshare link that ends up as 5kb files, just means that the links are dead. I.e deleted from rapidshare.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭viv.ie

These files are still active .ie http://rapidshare.com/files/167849203/snos_of_yhcrana_113_720p.part01.rar.htm
    If I just copy and paste up to the rar part the file will not download for me(just a 5kb file) if I copy the full file name including the htm ext. I download the full 200mb file but even though it is a rar file because it has a html file ext I cannot extract it.If I rename it with just the rar ext. I still have no joy.Thanks for the reply .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

This is what works for me.

First Step - Configure Firewall
    1. Enter http://192.168.1.254 into your browser
    2. Select Firewall from the options on the left hand side
    3. Select the option for Low and click on Save changes.

When you've completed those three steps you should have something like this.

Second Step - Set up the NAT
    2. Select Custom Services from the options on the left hand side
    3. If don't have NAT enabled you will be presented with this screen.
      If so click Enable NAT. Othewise skip on to the next step.
    4. After you have clicked Enable NAT you will see some extra options similar to this screen.
      Click the Static NAT button.
      You will be presented with a screen like this which prompts you to choose which PC you wish to use as your default NAT destination.
      If you just use one PC then click Next and you'll get a confirmation that it's done.
      If you have a number of computers using your router then choose the name of the PC that you will be using for torrenting.
    5. You should now have your Static Nat setup and your Custom Services page should look like this.

Third Step - Set up Custom Services (Port Forwarding)
    3. Click the Define Custom Service button
    4. Select the Port Forwarding: Range of Ports option and click Next as per this screenshot.
    5. Enter any name you like for the Service name - here I used uTorrent.
    6. Select a port number - here I used a high port number of 18796. (NB: When you're finished make sure this is the listening port in your bittorent client).
    7. Select TCP as the Protocol and you should now have something like this.
    8. Click Next and you will get a confirmation that it's done.

At the end of those steps your custom services page will still look like this. Your custom service/port forwarding has been set up but not yet enabled.

Fourth Step - Enable Custom Service (Port Forwarding)
    3. Select the *utorrent service you just created. It will be the last in the list as per this screenshot.
    4. You will be prompted to select the PC you wish to associate it with as per this screenshot. Simply use the PC you chose when setting up your NAT above and click Enable.

And you're done!

When you've followed the above steps your Custom Services page on http://192.168.1.254 should look something like this.

Caveat: I don't know if this is the best way to set it up but it works for me. I found the portforward.com site useless for setting up the netopia 2247. Ideally I'd prefer a solution whereby I could at least keep the firewall setting at Medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

Anyone able to help me out here on my slow speeds.

im on UPC 10mb package,

here is a screen shot of my speed using speed test

368882531.png

Now when i use Usenet using the Astraweb server, my average speed i get is shown in the picture below, roughly 400KB/s

Astraweb1.jpg

But say 2 days ago i was getting 1200KB/s, so it seems to change speed every few days but my result on speedtest stays the same

im using there SSL server and there SSL port so supposedly I cant be effected by there traffic shaping measures(according to Astraweb)

Anyone else use the same set-up as me??

Is this defo UPC traffic shaping?

Because my speedtest gives the result above but i dont see the same speeds in usenet client directly after running the speed test

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

Ah crap just switched from one ISP to upc and find this out now? So let me get this right - torrent file downloads are throttled regardless of content because it's often used for illegal file sharing?
    I just tried dloading the latest Forgotten hope 2 file via torrent via my new 10mb UPC connection and it crawls along at 20kb a sec. Swap back to my old ISP which has a week left on the contract and it zooms right up to 300kb +

Hmmmmmight have to eat humble pie and stick with old ISP and get rid of UPC already. This is so frustrating! All I want to do is get my bloody game to play. Tried dloading a non torrent 900mb demo of X3 Reunion (old game now) last night via http and left the pc on overnight. Was going well by the time I went to bed but of course had failed by the time I went to check this morning due to some http error. Instantly reminded me why I started using torrents over 5 years ago.:(:mad::mad:

Been having a quick look at their terms and conditions, acceptable useage etc. Can anyone see anything about peer to peer programs and them saying it's ok to restrict them? I can completely understand that they don't want the network congested if joe bloggs and everone in his street are downloading the latest movies 24/7 but to just tar any bit torrent user with the same brush regardless of the content seems a bit sh1te for an alledgedly 10mb unlimmited service? What about me and the game demo's or patches I want to get after all I can't be alone there?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Bindybandy, I know your pain, your old provider had no blocking and great speeds but a cap = useless

Your new provider has the bandwidth but throttles

Try this: http://www.witopia.net/

You will get a VPN connection to the US for 40 dollars per year = nothing

I am not sure it will work, it depends on the software UPC uses to analyse traffic but I think for 40 USD a year it is worth a try.

A colleague reported good speeds (he uses it to get to Pandora) (no UPC involved though)

So no assurance, I am not sure but pretty sure this works

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

viv.ie wrote: »
    These files are still active .ie http://rapidshare.com/files/167849203/snos_of_yhcrana_113_720p.part01.rar.htm
    If I just copy and paste up to the rar part the file will not download for me(just a 5kb file) if I copy the full file name including the htm ext. I download the full 200mb file but even though it is a rar file because it has a html file ext I cannot extract it.If I rename it with just the rar ext. I still have no joy.Thanks for the reply .
    I don't get what you mean. I click that link, a Rapidshare page loads, I click Free User, wait 60 seconds and download the file..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭jellybean520

I don't get fast downloads with my torrents, in total probably 20k/sec on average but that's fine, stuff gets there eventually after a few weeks! :(

My problem is this;

How can I stop the torrents absolutely hammering my internet browsing performance? My internet is unusable if I have uTorrent or BitTorrent open? Is there some way of prioritising port 80 traffic above the torrent stuff so you always experience acceptable browsing?

I have an Eircom connection 3MB - 2247 netopia router.

Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Hi, Sages

I have a Linksys WRTP54G (v1.1) router on a wISP. The firmware is v3.1.17.ETSI.

Linksys have a firmware upgrade to 3.1.24 on their site, does anyone know if this firmware is any enhancement to the firmware I already have?

I have been having problems with torrents of late. After a couple of hours downloading, my connection seems to just crap out and I can have almost 20,000 inbound connections. It is like as if the latency of the router is too high and it is not releasing, or hogging, all the inbound connection it has had since the start of the session. Only cure is to switch off and restart the router.

Will the Linksys upgrade cure/ease this?

Would I be better off changing to DD-WRT or Tomato? Would these solve my problems?

One final question, if I use any of these 3rd partys' software, will I still be able to use the VOIP on my connection?

Thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Wcool wrote: »
    Bindybandy, I know your pain, your old provider had no blocking and great speeds but a cap = useless

Your new provider has the bandwidth but throttles

Try this: http://www.witopia.net/

You will get a VPN connection to the US for 40 dollars per year = nothing

I am not sure it will work, it depends on the software UPC uses to analyse traffic but I think for 40 USD a year it is worth a try.

A colleague reported good speeds (he uses it to get to Pandora) (no UPC involved though)

So no assurance, I am not sure but pretty sure this works

I confirm that UPC throttle torrents (particularly seeding). I got a Witopia VPN to get around it but find that it doesn't work that well because you can't open any ports on it so you end up not being connectable.

Since then, I found a much better VPN: Ivacy (http://www.ivacy.com). It allows you to open one or several ports. It also allows you to get a British IP which will let you watch the BBC through iPlayer.

Torrents fly with Ivacy. I really have no complaints about them other than it's a bit pricier than Witopia: €25 for 90 days unlimited (on the cheapest plan) or €0.50 per GB on a metered plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭jellybean520

Ok, not the best thread to get a basic question answered on....so perhaps I'll start a new one. Any takers before I do?
    I don't get fast downloads with my torrents, in total probably 20k/sec on average but that's fine, stuff gets there eventually after a few weeks! :(

My problem is this;

How can I stop the torrents absolutely hammering my internet browsing performance? My internet is unusable if I have uTorrent or BitTorrent open? Is there some way of prioritising port 80 traffic above the torrent stuff so you always experience acceptable browsing?

I have an Eircom connection 3MB - 2247 netopia router.

Any help appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Hattrick

In your torrent client, you should have options to limit the bandwidth you use for downloads/uploads in the preference settings. Keep reducing the max bandwidth until you are happy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i have UPC 10mb and can download torrents at about 300kb and still browse the web with no problems

i dont think UPC throttle

i use Vuze

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

sorry posted twice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

It depends whether you've come to their attention or not. If your area is quiet in terms of bandwith use, they'll ignore you. If more people come on stream, or your connection gets flagged, then you'll soon see what people mean.

I've been using utorrent. Been downloading a number of files over the past 4/5 hours and monitoring their progress. One file was hovering along the 20kB/s for 40min +. I come back an hour later and it's around 300+kB/s. The highest download speed I've hit in these small hours is 663.

Another file, about 700mb in size, with significantly more seeders than peers, downloaded in under an hour.

Point I'm making is that I see enormous variation in speeds.

I'm with NTL/UPC, Ultra package, 20mb down & 1.5 up (supposedly).

My question is: surely speeds are just as dependent, if not more, on the ratio of seeders to leechers and their connections, as much as local traffic and your ISP's possible interference?

I'm only asking because people talk a lot on this forum about speeds, possible throttling, etc., and I feel like the seeder thing is important, but maybe I'm missing something... :confused:

(as a disclaimer, I would point out that I'm not very 'techy' or anything. I read forums and the utorrent guide and tech websites, but I'm not sure I get it most of the time!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Ok, not the best thread to get a basic question answered on....so perhaps I'll start a new one. Any takers before I do?
    if limiting your upload and download bandwidth doesn't help you, you may want to look into the possibility that the amount of connections your torrent client is generating is choking your router/modem.

depending on how prolific a torrenter you are you might want to consider getting a different modem/router that's better able to handle the amount of connections created by torrenting and that can handle things like QoS and that kind of thing.

i had a lot of issues myself until i got a better router than the one supplied by my ISP.

personally, i chose a linksys wrt54gs wireless broadband router which i connected to my existing modem which i put into bridging mode to allow the linksys to do all the authentication as well as control all the routing in my network.

it was better, but not perfect and still needed rebooting every couple of days to clear it out, until i came across a 3rd party firmware (thibor15c) that fixed almost all the issues. i've since moved onto another firmware which offers even more features (it's called tomato v1.23), still running on the same hardware and it's excellent, offering very advanced QoS and connection tracking settings and control over every minute detail of your network settings as well as live/daily/weekly/monthly bandwidth usage stats with graphs and charts that you can save to a remote share as well as heaps more that I can't even remember right now.

the upside of this is that since I now have my 20mbps ntl cable connection i can run my torrent client at full whack without limiting it and due to the QoS any regular web traffic on my network is able to move around with little or no impact from any active torrents.

the features you can end up with on a very cheap (less than 40 quid on ebay) consumer grade router are astounding tbh, and there's plenty of other 3rd party firmwares available for them too. if you are going to go for one though, make sure you get one that is compatible with 3rd party firmwares as there are several versions of this router and not all are re-flashable with non-linksys firmware and without changing the firmware they are a distinctly average router by any standard, so don't say I didn't warn you. :)

there's plenty of different firmwares out there for these routers now (about half a dozen major projects and 20+ minor or specialised ones) all with their own features and functionality, dd-wrt, x-wrt/open-wrt, tomato & sveasoft are probably the most common, but there is plenty of choice depending on what you want to do with it.

the best place to start if you have an interest is probably the wiki page or the linksysinfo forum.

Advertisement