Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭jellybean520

Hi vibe666, thanks for an extremely informative answer. If you had a model number in mind that would take care of business for me then please let me know what it is. Ideally one which just replaces the Netopia completely as opposed to linking up / bridging etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Hi vibe666, thanks for an extremely informative answer. If you had a model number in mind that would take care of business for me then please let me know what it is. Ideally one which just replaces the Netopia completely as opposed to linking up / bridging etc?
    i'm not sure if there are any routers that work well out of the box with heavy torrenting (maybe another poster could help with this?) or that support 3rd party firmwares other than the linksys ones (and one or two buffalo and asus ones) but as far as the linksys routers go, any WRT54G (s/n starting: CDF0 to CDF9 & CDFA) or WRT54GS (s/n starting: CGN0 to CGN6) from v1 to v4 or a WRT54GL (s/n starting: CL7A to CL7C).

the serial number can be found on the underside of the router and also on the side of the box if you're going into a shop to look for one.

NOTE: the G & GS routers require a little encouragement to re-flash them with anything other than an official linksys firmware, but it's nothing overly fancy and it's not hard to do with a little bit of techy knowledge. the GL's were released later by linksys, specifically for modders and are re-flashable with pretty much any compatible firmware you can find right out of the box with no tricks or mods required.

having said all that, it's distinctly possible that there's some new fancy router out there that does know how to efficiently manage torrenting and all this is for nothing, but having got this all sorted myself I've no inclination to change now so I haven't paid much attention to any broadband hardware improvements that may have come along since i started all this messing. :)

again, maybe someone here has a better plan that would be a little simpler for you to put into place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Eoin Macollamh

Never mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

If I were to limit upload speeds to 4/5 kb/s would it affect my download speeds at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you need a certain amount of upload bandwidth to maintain decent downloads, you'll just have to find the sweet spot. too low and your downloads will crawl and too high and the same thing can happen.

try limiting it to 80% of your available upload bandwidth and then if it's still causing problems gradually bring it down by 10% or so until you get decent speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Can P2P software such as Vuze etc be easily installed on a Linux based computer (Acer Aspire One)?

If so can anyone point me in the right direction??

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TreborJ

thewools wrote: »
    Can P2P software such as Vuze etc be easily installed on a Linux based computer (Acer Aspire One)?

If so can anyone point me in the right direction??

Yes you can run P2P software on a Linux OS. Vuse can be difficult to install depending on the version of Linux installed on you PC.
    I'm currently using Utorrent on a Ubuntu 8.10 Linux OS without any Issues.
    Firstly you'll need to install Wine (Windows emulation software) and then you'll be able to run Utorrent on your system.

T......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Hi guys, can someone help me ?
    I've accidently downloaded the one torrent to two seperate folders. I was downloading a DVD (via Dime) and whilst in the middle of it downloading, about two thirds in , I accidently moved the folder it was downloading into. I tried moving it back but a new folder had already been created automagically and the torrent resumed.

It's finished downloading now but the full DVD is in two seperate folders. Is there anyway I can merge them ? I use Nero and tried importing all the files but I get an error message that Nero has to close half way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I've accidently downloaded the one torrent to two seperate folders. I was downloading a DVD (via Dime) and whilst in the middle of it downloading, about two thirds in , I accidently moved the folder it was downloading into. I tried moving it back but a new folder had already been created automagically and the torrent resumed.

It's finished downloading now but the full DVD is in two seperate folders. Is there anyway I can merge them ?

That's a little confusing. Do you have one folder with the files from the torrent partially downloaded and another folder with the files fully downloaded?

If it's a case that you have two folders with files from the torrent partially downloaded in each then I reckon you'll have to choose which folder contains the higher percentage of downloaded files and continue that download to completion.

Yeah , I have two folders both with the partial torrent. But the torrent completed, when I moved the folder (my mistake,I'm on a laptop and touched off the mouse pad wierd and accidently moved the folder into a folder beside it) it made a new folder and carried on from whatever percentage the downloading was at...

But of course I can't play the DVD in full. I can't think of how to merge the files so I'm redownloading it then...

:(
    I tell ye, torrents aren't idiot proof, you have to know what you're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Assuming you're using Azureus/Vuze you shouldn't have to re-download the full torrent as you have 66% of it downloaded already (at least).
    1. Kick off the torrent again - but this time download it to a new destination folder.
    2. Give it a couple of seconds to create all the files the torrent is supposed to download.
    3. Stop the torrent in Vuze.
    4. Copy across all the files from the folder where it had already downloaded two thirds of the way - ie overwrite all the files in your new destination folder with the same files which have at least been partially downloaded.
    5. Start the torrent again in Vuze.

Vuze will re-check the torrent to see how many pieces of the files it now has which will take a few minutes but you should then have a working torrent that's 66% complete and you can leave it go on till it's complete.
    It should save you some bandwidth and time at least.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Assuming you're using Azureus/Vuze you shouldn't have to re-download the full torrent as you have 66% of it downloaded already (at least).
    1. Kick off the torrent again - but this time download it to a new destination folder.
    2. Give it a couple of seconds to create all the files the torrent is supposed to download.
    3. Stop the torrent in Vuze.
    4. Copy across all the files from the folder where it had already downloaded two thirds of the way - ie overwrite all the files in your new destination folder with the same files which have at least been partially downloaded.
    5. Start the torrent again in Vuze.

Vuze will re-check the torrent to see how many pieces of the files it now has which will take a few minutes but you should then have a working torrent that's 66% complete and you can leave it go on till it's complete.
    It should save you some bandwidth and time at least.

I just about understand what you're saying here. I'm using uTorrent though...
    You say copy the files into the new destination folder . But the file names will be the same and if I overwrite them I lose the files that have the other part.

I can however reopen the torrent to download and set the download to folder to where the partial downloaded files are.

I'm not sure you understand but, I have the full download but it's in two seperate folders and in 2seperate sets of files. But the full thing is there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

I'm not sure you understand but, I have the full download but it's in two seperate folders and in 2seperate sets of files. But the full thing is there somewhere.
    could it be you have 2 rar files downloaded, and when you extract it'll turn itself into one large file ? uncompressed

Nah they're VOB files. I've redownloaded the torrent from the folder that the first two thirds of it downloaded into and it seems to be complete now.

fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭expatoz

i'm currently finding using dc++ on upc/ntl/chorus impossible. while i can download in the morning, uploading seems to be impossible, which causes grief.
    does anyone know if there any are any work arounds for this, i have the correct ports forwarded. i'm using a linksys router.
    cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 whaleboyh27

I know this probably isn't the best place for it, but I couldn't really see anywhere else,

Does anyone have an account on demonoid, and if so can they send me an invite?

I've been checking every day for when they open registrations again but alas nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭obsydion

I know this probably isn't the best place for it, but I couldn't really see anywhere else,

I've been checking every day for when they open registrations again but alas nothing.

You and me both. And I think they only do it once a month.

I can't remember where i read it, but I think it was mentioned that they were open at the beginning of the month (usually) but either way, i've been trying since middle december with no luck. I'm getting desperate as there is a torrent i really want!

I can't remember where i read it, but I think it was mentioned that they were open at the beginning of the month (usually) but either way, i've been trying since middle december with no luck. I'm getting desperate as there is a torrent i really want!

I gave up after awhile, obviously there are others out there (more) desperate enough to camp out for one. Most torrents from Demonoid are usually echoed onto other sites like TPB and Mininova so you must want something either very new, very obscure or very weird :p

quite new, not weird, just the platform it's run on...suffice to say, i'll find it quite useful :)

• Advertisement

quite new, not weird, just the platform it's run on...suffice to say, i'll find it quite useful :)

Hehe fair enough. To be honest I was looking for Eigenvector's PLS toolbox and add-ons for Matlab the other day, nowhere to be found but I bet it's on Demonoid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Hi,
    Anyone out there on UPC 10mg & using Atlantic Scientific router and downloading via Bittorrent .

Can you please give me a idiot proof preffered settings to get the best out of dowloading as my Bittorrent has the red exclamation mark on the bottom toolbar telling me that I could improve speeds etc.:o

All help or suggestions welcome.

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭ronrar

obsydion wrote: »
    You and me both. And I think they only do it once a month.

I can help both of you out.

Pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

My friend got Perlico broadband installed recently.

Since it was installed their Limewire won't work.

I had a look earlier, disabled the firewall at the router. The router has a crap UI - couldn't figure out how to configure port forwarding, etc.

Does anyone know how to get Limewire working on Perlico?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

So who uses usenet here? What are your speeds like

im on newshosting and always get 2.33 mb/s. Clent/server is great. Personal opinion but i never use torrents.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

I currently have both Smart 4Mb and UPC 20Mb. The difference in torrents is startling.

Although the UPC connection is six times faster in upload bandwidth it never even reaches the speed of the Smart connection.
    For instance currently uploads with UPC are 8.7kB compared with Smart at 26kB.
    Much a similar story with downloads with UPC at an average 1Mb and Smart usually at the full 4Mb.

I was going to get rid of Smart but after comparing like for like there is just no contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

I currently have both Smart 4Mb and UPC 20Mb. The difference in torrents is startling.

Although the UPC connection is six times faster in upload bandwidth it never even reaches the speed of the Smart connection.
    For instance currently uploads with UPC are 8.7kB compared with Smart at 26kB.
    Much a similar story with downloads with UPC at an average 1Mb and Smart usually at the full 4Mb.

I was going to get rid of Smart but after comparing like for like there is just no contest.

So whats the way around this then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

su_dios wrote: »
    So whats the way around this then?

Pay for a download service and dont be so tight torrent'ers:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Pay for a download service and dont be so tight torrent'ers:p

How do you find shows on sites like megaupload, or rapidshare?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Turncoat

I have a bt 1 mb connection. A couple of weeks back my torrent download speeds(from using Utorrent) were between 80-100 kbps. Now, no matter the seeders:leechers ratio. My download speed doesn't exceed 30 kbps and upload speed limit is 5 kbps. Only my torrent download speed has been affected, if I download something from another site I still get great download speeds. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement