Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    How do you find shows on sites like megaupload, or rapidshare?:confused:

You don't, get your legal content from places like 4onDemand, boards.ie is not a piracy and warez resource for instructions on how to download tv shows or movies

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

okay got to page 8 and still havent found what i was after

anyways just signed up to premuim rapidshare account but cant for the life of me get it to work

i tried goget but no success all the rar files are invalid

next tried internet download manager but again invalid files

do i have to open up ports?

anybody care to go through set up in bullet points please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    How do you find shows on sites like megaupload, or rapidshare?:confused:

Anyone else who answers that question, will be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

beolight wrote: »
    okay got to page 8 and still havent found what i was after

anyways just signed up to premuim rapidshare account but cant for the life of me get it to work

i tried goget but no success all the rar files are invalid

next tried internet download manager but again invalid files

do i have to open up ports?

anybody care to go through set up in bullet points please

found this made me laugh

Re: How does RAPIDSHARE work? How do you send Files to people using it?:)

Well, first RapidShare sends out elite teams of hunters and trackers to capture as many elves and fairies as they can. Then they put them in special magic boxes. They force them to memorize huge strings of 1's and 0's (withholding food and water if they don't get it right). You go to RapidShare and they make one of the magical creatures memorize all the 1's and 0's in your file. Then you email the elf or fairy to a friend and it whispers all those 1's and 0's to their computer which magically creates something on their hard drive. The elf/fairy gets sent back to RapidShare to memorize more 1's and 0's and that's how it all works!

http://forums.superiorpics.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1056276322/site_id/1#import

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I currently have both Smart 4Mb and UPC 20Mb. The difference in torrents is startling.

Although the UPC connection is six times faster in upload bandwidth it never even reaches the speed of the Smart connection.
    For instance currently uploads with UPC are 8.7kB compared with Smart at 26kB.
    Much a similar story with downloads with UPC at an average 1Mb and Smart usually at the full 4Mb.

I was going to get rid of Smart but after comparing like for like there is just no contest.

I got the following mail from UPC earlier:

"Ref: 401409

Dear Mr Byrne,

Thank you for your E-Mail.

To serve all our Internet customers in the best possible way Ntl/Chorus deems it important to prioritise real time activities like email, MSN, chatten, browsing, streaming at times of high network utilization.

Traffic prioritising is limited to a limited number of traffic types, and only during peak times. Subsequently only the Internet experience a small group of Internet subscribers could be affected by this policy.

As a result these customers could experience, during short time intervals, a small decrease in the download and upload speed, when using news or P2P services.

UPC continuously tracks market developments, customer needs, and new applications to continue to deliver an optimal service.

Peak times are between 17.00 and 24.00 hrs.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on our freephone number 1908 or email us on customer.support@upc.ie

Kind regards,
    XXX

Chorus ntl Customer Support Team"

In fairness to them, torrents do work okay after midnight as if I leave them on overnight, they're generally finished in the morning and mostly uploaded again too.

At least they've admitted it now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

hmm, interesting.

i got a different letter from them though. :D

something to do with exceeding 250gb combined up/down in January and the FUP, which now we know is a 250gb CAP as a FUP is total BS anyway if they don't put a figure on it and if they DO put a figure on it it's a CAP, not a FUP anyway (would have been a lot happier if they'd admitted to that in the first place too, but meh).

anyways, 100gb already for feb, so I'll either go for this mysterious 'extreme' package they are hinting at for €80 per month or slow down a bit.

so much for my 2x seed ratio then i guess. well, currently 1.5, but it WAS on it's way up to two, but alas no more. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

Might be a bit off post but any chance anybody here is using Windows 7 beta and Peer Guardian 2 and got it to work? Have tried lots suggested on the PG2 forums and no luck. I'm sure I could figure it out but i just don't have hours of free time anymore to mess about like i used to (he says while using a beta OS :))

• Registered Users Posts: 16 martmcc

Can anyone help with Perlico Port Forwarding setup. I am using Bit Comet but speeds are poor as listening port is blocked - how do I unblock.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Find your model of router and follow this http://portforward.com/

also merging with P2P thread

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

martmcc wrote: »
    Can anyone help with Perlico Port Forwarding setup. I am using Bit Comet but speeds are poor as listening port is blocked - how do I unblock.

Sure can help.......cancel Perlico. Bloody rip off artists! Moved to UTV about 5 Months Ago. Great Service and speed so far.!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭lifebook

2.4MBs on UPC in Portlaoise while connected directly to cable modem (Torrentleech)

8kbps MAX using netgear router on same torrent.

Tested this many times and the results are always the same

lifebook wrote: »
    2.4MBs on UPC in Portlaoise while connected directly to cable modem (Torrentleech)

8kbps MAX using netgear router on same torrent.

Tested this many times and the results are always the same

Sounds like you def have a configuration issue their, nothing to do with UPC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭lifebook

Cabaal wrote: »

I most ceraintly did not have a configuration Issue. I have been using torrent for years and have forwared more ports than I care to mention. All my ports were configured correctly and still are. I picked up a Linksys Router this evening and all is good.

Simple fact of the matter is that Netgear sucks, with UPC anyway!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Cabaal wrote: »
    that was harsh dude, geeks have feelings too you know. why don't you just tell him his pc is too slow and put him out of his misery! :p

/sarcasm (just in case it wasn't 100% obvious)

there's actually quite a few threads in here about speed issues with the netgear router supplied by NTL. i think it should have a snail embossed on it as a logo. :)

hence mines still shrinkwrapped in the box it came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Seems that most providers are starting to shape traffic for torrents, so who isnt doing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

i have no problem with ntl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

i have no problem with ntl

Same here :-) download on p2p at 2.2mb/s

moved to P2P thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I'm on Irish Broadband 3mb and healthy, heavily seeded torrents have been absolutely crawling for the last month. Is anyone else experiencing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 G_1975

Hi,

I've used the new tool developed by MLab (Google etc) and the Max Planck Inst. to determine whether or not your ISP is throttling bit torrent traffic.. my results would indicate that NTL are manipulating torrent uploads at least.

Test if your ISP is manipulating BitTorrent traffic.

My Results here!

//G

• Advertisement

G_1975 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've used the new tool developed by MLab (Google etc) and the Max Planck Inst. to determine whether or not your ISP is throttling bit torrent traffic.. my results would indicate that NTL are manipulating torrent uploads at least.

Test if your ISP is manipulating BitTorrent traffic.

My Results here!

//G

They've already admitted they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Nephew wrote: »
    I'm on Irish Broadband 3mb and healthy, heavily seeded torrents have been absolutely crawling for the last month. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Yup getting abysmal speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 calmoo

Hahaha, look which ISP has been lingering around on ads.
    MOD: REMOVED

calmoo banned for a week for breaking boards.ie rules/forum charter
    - You posted the pirate bay URL
    - You posted details in relation to downloading a copyright movie

Lads I don't mind you talking about P2P thats fine its not against any rules here but don't post URL's and start naming what your downloading it only leaves boards.ie open legally :(

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭skinandblister

forgive me if i'm repeating a question or asking something im not suppose to:o

but i am having problems with utorrent. DHT wont login and nothing is downloading anybody have any suggestions or ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I've never been able to get torrents working consistently usually due to NAT problems when I was with Eircom in my parents place. Now I have chorus NTL 20mb still doesn't work. Neither does Limewire or a couple of other non-file sharing programs. I've turned off my laptop firewall and my router firewall and still it says there is a firewall. Is there any way of finding out which firewall is preventing these programs from working - software/hardware/whatever. The error is that the listen port is blocked.

I've never been able to get torrents working consistently usually due to NAT problems when I was with Eircom in my parents place. Now I have chorus NTL 20mb still doesn't work. Neither does Limewire or a couple of other non-file sharing programs. I've turned off my laptop firewall and my router firewall and still it says there is a firewall. Is there any way of finding out which firewall is preventing these programs from working - software/hardware/whatever. The error is that the listen port is blocked.

www.portforward.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Thanks - just after I posted I found this link:

http://www.p2pforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=6431

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Lemming wrote: »
    Yup getting abysmal speeds.

My torrent speeds on IBB 3mb are still atrocious, consistently averaging around the 1.2kb/s mark since late January. But every few days I get the very odd torrent that downloads at 80kb/s + for a couple of hours.

What are NTL like now for torrent shaping?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Nephew wrote: »
    What are NTL like now for torrent shaping?

Was hooking things up for a mate on NTL, and it was flying along. Looks like NTL have stopped traffic shaping, can anyone confirm? I may switch back from Smart if this is the case.

Advertisement