Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 calmoo

How come nearly every tracker in all my torrents say 'connection closed by peeer' in uTorrent? It's awful, I can barely get above 20kb/s. On UPC btw.

calmoo wrote: »
    How come nearly every tracker in all my torrents say 'connection closed by peeer' in uTorrent? It's awful, I can barely get above 20kb/s. On UPC btw.

what listening port are you using in utorrent? is encryption forced?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭Steve X2

calmoo wrote: »

I get this a lot of the time as well. If I enable encryption in utorrent I dont get it as much. But even when it does come up if you shut down utorrent and wait 60 seconds and reload it you should be ok for a while. Not perfect by any means but it might help you a bit.
    I find that if I am downloading 3-5 torrents at once it usually doesn't come up. But if i have 10 or so downloading at the same time i get it more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

david7536 wrote: »
    what listening port are you using in utorrent? is encryption forced?

You seem to be gettin the config right...why dont you do a tutorial for upc ultra users and post it up! Granted there are variables like peers and trackers that come into play but shed us some light on your config and put us all out of our misery;)

Or post screens of your settings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Dboy85 wrote: »
    You seem to be gettin the config right...why dont you do a tutorial for upc ultra users and post it up! Granted there are variables like peers and trackers that come into play but shed us some light on your config and put us all out of our misery;)

+1 im struggling here on 10mb to get some decent speeds. reconfigured utorrent a million times...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

anyone know if it's possible to update a no-ip.org address with the Cisco EPC2425?

just see dyndns.com in the drop down list

Will do both tommorrow :)

david7536 wrote: »
    Will do both tommorrow :)

Your an auld topper so ya are:P

I'm having trouble with PTP tracker! "Connection closed by peer" in Utorrent. Anyone else get this? Is it the isp or am I paranoid cause I just got ultra in today

Sorry for the double but I can confirm UPC's speed is second to none:eek: Just iron out a few kinks on your own end and its HAMMER time:pac: got speeds of 2.5mb/s there on a torrent! Cheers David! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jackinkul

UPC drastically traffic shape torrent traffic.

My only interest in saying this is to prevent others from making the mistake I made by signing up to them. If you're not into torrenting, then UPC are fine. Otherwise, go elsewhere for your broadband service.

Don't be malicious. Let others learn from your mistakes. Get the word out. Torrenters should steer clear of UPC.

• Advertisement

Jackinkul wrote: »
    UPC drastically traffic shape torrent traffic.

My only interest in saying this is to prevent others from making the mistake I made by signing up to them. If you're not into torrenting, then UPC are fine. Otherwise, go elsewhere for your broadband service.

Don't be malicious. Let others learn from your mistakes. Get the word out. Torrenters should steer clear of UPC.

Now it just sounds like you were paid to slate upc! Go fail somewhere else.
    Speed on wireless router on upc ultra below.

Torrentspeed-23MBs.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭yoshx

Hello Lads

i have been using ntl for over 3 years, they sent me 3 letters that i shouldn't download that much bcz i waz paid for 80 gig per month , i am using torrent big time , and they never sent any warning that this shouldn't be used , so ntl s fine in my area ! /clondalkin/

Jackinkul wrote: »

My guess is your an Eircom dude:pac: I got ultra today and hit 2.5mbs on a torrent file! Stop trolling!!!

My guess is your an Eircom dude:pac: I got ultra today and hit 2.5mbs on a torrent file! Stop trolling!!!
    im not standing up for the eircom guy or anything, but id love to know what torrent you're DLing when reaching speeds of 2mb+, not to doubt you guys, but for infomational purposes only, because my 10mb UPC is maxing at 900kb's, but usually around 200-300kb's on a well seeded thing. could you hint at your settings, utorrent etc, encryption, time of day, seeders connected, you know, stuff like that. are you on a private tracker? if so, which one? ......my linux distro's just arent downloading fast enough for me to be satisfied yet....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jackinkul

You're obviously a man who knows what he's talking about. Having got UPC ultra today and all.

If you check back over my posts you'll see that I conceed UPC sometimes relax their traffic shaping. One swallow doesn't make a summer, unfortunately.

People thinking of switching to UPC need to know what the typical upload performance for torrent files they can expect is. This allows them to make an informed decision. I'm just telling them that it's very bad. Not at all what they'll have been led to expect. As I've said in previous posts, I only wish other UPC customers had been more up front in forums like this so I could have been warned. Not trolling. Performing a public service.

(Noting to stop you sliding down a bannister on a tea trolly to get your kicks. I mean just because your mega UPC upload turns out to be crap.)

I have UPC and i think its fair to say that sometimes they relax the traffic shaping but for most of us most of the time they do not. Of course they have customers who they do not shape, so that they can come onto forums etc and say they get great speeds.

I've been with NTL/UPC since they started offering broadband and my speed is not great with torents most of the time, direct downloads etc are great i must say.
    A guy in work just got UPC a couple weeks ago and he gets great speeds on torrents.
    Do new customers get better speeds than customers like myself?

What do you guys think.

smcgarr wrote: »
    I have UPC and i think its fair to say that sometimes they relax the traffic shaping but for most of us most of the time they do not. Of course they have customers who they do not shape, so that they can come onto forums etc and say they get great speeds.

I've been with NTL/UPC since they started offering broadband and my speed is not great with torents most of the time, direct downloads etc are great i must say.
    A guy in work just got UPC a couple weeks ago and he gets great speeds on torrents.
    Do new customers get better speeds than customers like myself?

What do you guys think.
    Id say that because youve been with them for a while, they would have developed traffic shaping on you because you might have a long history of torrenting, which is very bandwidth hungry, and economically not viable for them.

So how could we hide our torrent processes to avoid traffic shaping , is there any solution to reach the maximum speed?

yoshx wrote: »
    So how could we hide our torrent processes to avoid traffic shaping , is there any solution to reach the maximum speed?
    to some extent, you can avoid traffic shaping by encrypting your outgoing protocol. you can find it in utorrent under preferences>Bittorrent>protocol encryption. set it to forced.
    also, avoid downloading during the day and at "hot hours", when there would be alot of people online, such as early evenings. i tend to schedule my downloads to start after midnight and go till 5am. thats when you achieve the fastest speeds too.

and u really belive that ntl would not notice that if i use force encrypted protocol ,when i dling simultaneously from 100 other ips in the same time ?:)

cmon ....

• Advertisement

and u really belive that ntl would not notice that if i use force encrypted protocol ,when i dling simultaneously from 100 other ips in the same time ?:)

cmon ....

Break into xtra vision instead if your worried!...or just rent it for real money

what if u i would use a virtual server to l many files and don ftp or some other way i would dl it , so i would have only 1 ip address to download all the uf what i would have on torrent, and also in a virtual server could seed it for 24 hours and on high speed with no risk :) like it ?

cmon ....

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    to some extent, you can avoid traffic shaping by encrypting your outgoing protocol.

read the post carefully.

that was my money free suggesting to avoiding shaping.
    now i know you're willing to spend cash, rent an SSL VPN. google. problem solved?

what if u i would use a virtual server

Your on to a winner there;)

Hey need some advice here. on a PT and stupidly downloaded something to my laptop, instead of the desktop. im not on a seedbox yet, so seeding is a priority but pretty hard on a laptop. is there some way i can move files to my desktop and seed from there, without redownloading the same distro, dropping the ratio even more on my account?

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Hey need some advice here. on a PT and stupidly downloaded something to my laptop, instead of the desktop. im not on a seedbox yet, so seeding is a priority but pretty hard on a laptop. is there some way i can move files to my desktop and seed from there, without redownloading the same distro, dropping the ratio even more on my account?

I did this a few times, I just copy the files to my downloads folder on my desktop and and re-download the torrent file and force a recheck on the files in utorrent. This works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Infoseeking

This might be something that everyone knows. If it is, sorry for the space waste; if not here goes.

The higher you raise your upload limit the higher your download speed will be. I upped mine to 500 kb/s and instantly my download speed got boosted to 200 kb/s. I'm uploading at around 9 kb/s but the sacrifice is worth it for the returns in speed increase. Of course, it's not advisable for someone with a small cap but if you've a big one and you want that video straight away this info should be useful.

Once again, I'm sorry if I'm stating the obvious :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Acoustic

hey

i have eircom 7mb broadband and recently when i put on utorrent its fine for like 15 mins then i have no internet at all , then i have to exit utorrent and then reset the modem ( turn it off and re-start it ) before i get internet again

any ideas whats causing this ???

anybody got idea of best settings for utorrent with eircom

that is what we call filtering :) by the internet provider , probably they dont like u dl habit its generate too much traffic on their servers. what u can try is turn on the encryption , try out different client , or take my suggestion and invest money to virtual pc to dl torrent and u jst dling form the virtual pc, and u can seed nonstoop a high speed, but ifu like myslf , and u just got fired then i would recommend u a little bit of more search in google ,and u will find the right client what will brings u the Eden :) TOR AND SBinnovatios forum, utorrent section ! , good luck ,let me know if it worked !

• Advertisement

The higher you raise your upload limit the higher your download speed will be. I upped mine to 500 kb/s and instantly my download speed got boosted to 200 kb/s. I'm uploading at around 9 kb/s but the sacrifice is worth it for the returns in speed increase.

Sorry but this is misinformation. The rise in download speed was coincidental seeing as upload was only 9 kb/s (very low, hardly a big sacrifice!!). Most likely you hit on a rare occurance, a well seeded public torrent (or local peers). That said 200kb/s is also very slow so it might not have been well seeded either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_(protocol)

Advertisement